Media Whittaker says he's sure to get title shot over Strickland, should he win next

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

So what's this now? At first we had the champ Du Plessis, Izzy and UFC employees all implying Whittaker vs Chimaev was the title eliminator.

That's when Dana came forth to declare Strickland as the fighter actually first in line. Going against what everyone else thought was planned for.

Now Whittaker says this and seems confident that a win gets him there no matter how it looks. Says there's no pressure at all to deliver a good fight?

Strickland getting a title shot over Whittaker is criminal

He openly and admittingly ducked Whittaker for a no 1 contender fight, went to a split decision vs Costa where as Whittaker won a clear cut unanimous decision vs a better more confident Costa who was coming off the Rockhold win, then takes a last minute replacement vs a dangerous prospect in enemy territory and puts on one of the most spectacular performances ever seen.

Now here he is taking yet another fight against another dangerous opponent in enemy territory once again vs Khamzat aka the same guy who Strickland openly admitted to getting submitted by and dominated several times in sparring

That would be 3 dominate wins over elite/dangerous opponents with the odds stacked against him

Who the fuck wants to see yet another patty cake Strickland jab fest to a split decision instead of a more deserving Whittaker with legitimate dangerous finishing ability

He said the winner of Usman - Chimaev was next as well. I’d love to see Whittaker get a last chance at the gold.

Whittaker was criticized for lacking finishing ability up until he beat a generic neckbeard with a questionable chin. I like Rob but let’s not pretend he’s a ruthless killer. He’s more exciting than Strickland but still. I think Sean beat Dricus in that fight

Whittaker was criticized for lacking finishing ability up until he beat a generic neckbeard with a questionable chin. I like Rob but let’s not pretend he’s a ruthless killer. He’s more exciting than Strickland but still. I think Sean beat Dricus in that fight

at least Whittaker was a guy who went for finishes in the past. Strickland has literally always been a decision master.

I'm sure he is fighting for the title next but he is not getting the next shot.

I just hope DDP becomes more active, we are used to the MW belt be defended like every 4 months.

I don't understand why people have so bad hard-on for Whittaker titleshot. He got his shit pushed in against DDP, a win or two against some neck beards isn't going to change that.

Because he's nice, which means he deserves preferential treatment.

Its not easy to finish people at his level, Cannonier has just now started getting finished at 38, Paulo has only been finished by Prime Izzy, Vettori doesn't get finished, I don't think Gastelum was finished at 185 other than by Weidman, Romero still doesn't get finished.

I don't understand why people have so bad hard-on for Whittaker titleshot. He got his shit pushed in against DDP, a win or two against some neck beards isn't going to change that.
People tend to respect fighters who try to earn things. Similar to when he lost the belt to Izzy and came back and beat 3 top 5 opponents to earn his rematch. Unlike Strickland couldn't even defend the belt once and now he feels entitled to something he hasn't earned.

People complain about instant rematchs and then turn around and complain when fighters like Rob put the work in and earn their shot.

The guy was destroyed by DDP. I think it's great he thinks he deserves the opportunity but he should have to prove it. How about he fights Sean to see who deserves it?

Strickland was also just champ and arguably got screwed on a decision against the champ.

that's what happens when you're a decision fighter lol... if he was dominating people it would be one thing but when you sit back and just jab for 99% of the fight, what do you expect

They could probably book Sean - DDP very soon, then wait for Rob - Kham

Good thing he'll have 3 wins then.

Strickland was also just champ and arguably got screwed on a decision against the champ.
He wasn't some long time champ or anything, and arguing that you didn't lose doesn't earn you better booking.

The guy was destroyed by DDP. I think it's great he thinks he deserves the opportunity but he should have to prove it. How about he fights Sean to see who deserves it?
Only one problem with that: Sean wouldn't do it

DeSean thinks he deserves a titleshot
Weedtaker thinks he deserves a titleshot
so DeSean vs. Weedtaker for titleshot if Bobbert from Knuxlevania wins vs. Charizard Chamaev

Back