Where do the "duck" arguments come from?

Mma idiots that would be scared to fight the guy themselves pass it along. If they would be scared of said fighter then the other guy must be too for not taking the fight

Fighters turn down fights where their weight cut would be pushed, in locations where the tax rate is high, places they don't want to travel, against dangerous opponents with skills but not much of a name, short notice fights then fans go well they said no so they are scared of said opponent.

Tito Ortiz ducked Dana White.
This is still in my biggest "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" uppon hearing that a fight got canceled last minute. And it meant nothing for any rankings or anything, t'was just a boxing spar, but I really wanted to watch Dana get fucked up.
But Tito did redeem himself along the way, it was a long journey but I like the new him now <{titihmm}>

(It was even more annoying that when he ducked Chuck to me)

Are you seriously questioning if fighters would be afraid of losing, hurting their brand or getting their ass kicked by an opponent? They are human, just like us. Heck, I wrestled and would get nervous when I would know I had to compete against a real high ranked guy but would not be as nervous taking on a guy I knew I could handle, and this was just wrestling.

GSP has been open about this too, and I respect him for that. There is a reason GSP, Andy, Jones never went up to take on the bigger challenges, because it would not only hurt their brand by losing, by they realized they could take on more manageable tasking not get humiliated. Losing to another man is bad enough, but getting smashed in front of your girl, family, and the entire world is terrifying - it's a different type of losing and effects you on a primitive level. Tons of fighters duck other fighters out of fear. Is normal.

Islam Makhachev - Most Ducked Fighter in History;
6 Fight Win Streak;
International Sambo Master;
Future Lightweight Champion;
Movie Star Good Looks;
Mensa IQ;
Best Nutritionist in the Game
Homeboi is ducking TFKL right now!

<Prem973>

I didn't have any problem with Bisping fighting Dan Henderson as Hendo was retiring and Bisping had been wanting that rematch for 7 years and that was his last chance. He fought him 4 months after winning the title. And then the GSP fight was available. How could any fighter refuse that payday and you can't say GSP wasn't as big or bigger challenge than Whitaker.

With that said, GSP ducked Whitaker then vacated.

With that said, GSP ducked Whitaker then vacated.
Yeah you can say that. I don't see it as GSP DUCKED Whittaker. GSP never wanted to get back into the grind of defending a title. He did that and wants fights one at a time. Dana busted his balls and tried to have GSP "Contractually Obligated" to fight Whittaker. Problem for Dana is that all GSP had to do was vacate the MW title. Dana never saw that coming as all his champion hold on to titles they don't defend as long as they can. Thats is because UFC Champion make more money outside the cage as UFC champions then they do actually fighting. GSP doesn't need a UFC belt to make money outside the cage.

For me GSP defended his WW title against whoever and whatever style made it to the #1 Contender. He doesn't owe us any more as fans and at this point any fights are a bonus.

The idea that GSP would be afraid to fight Whittaker for fear of losing is laughable. If Whittaker had the MW title and was a draw as big as Bisping then GSP would have taken his title IMO.

Yeah you can say that. I don't see it as GSP DUCKED Whittaker. GSP never wanted to get back into the grind of defending a title. He did that and wants fights one at a time. Dana busted his balls and tried to have GSP "Contractually Obligated" to fight Whittaker. Problem for Dana is that all GSP had to do was vacate the MW title. Dana never saw that coming as all his champion hold on to titles they don't defend as long as they can. Thats is because UFC Champion make more money outside the cage as UFC champions then they do actually fighting. GSP doesn't need a UFC belt to make money outside the cage.

For me GSP defended his WW title against whoever and whatever style made it to the #1 Contender. He doesn't owe us any more as fans and at this point any fights are a bonus.

The idea that GSP would be afraid to fight Whittaker for fear of losing is laughable. If Whittaker had the MW title and was a draw as big as Bisping then GSP would have taken his title IMO.

Whittaker would have beaten GSP to a pulp.

They don’t duck necessarily due to fear of getting beat up. They fear the possibility of losing thus losing their leverage to get better fights and/or title shots later on, essentially messing up their chance to make more money and hurting their career. This is the reason why ducking takes place most of the time.

Or when you are Conor then yeah its just because you are chicken shit.

OooooooooHHHhhhhhHHHh?!!?!?!?!

Read about it A LOT on Sherdog, how can someone in their right mind argue fighters would avoid do their fucking job out of... fear? Of fighting? Never really understood if this is trolling or just a Sherdog trope or whatever.

Has there ever been a proof of this? Like someone admitting it later or something.

Fear of losing the fight vs a better opponent, not feat of fighting. So you choose a weeker opponent.
Instead defending vs Romero, you choose Dan Henderson, for example.

Just because some people are morons and consider that every fighter that refuses a fight is ducking the other guy, doesn't mean that ducking doesn't exist.

Vojislav explains it very well in this thread
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/a-lot-of-mma-fans-dont-understand-what-ducking-is.3716365/
"Fighters don't duck other fighters because they're "scared" as in scared to physically fight them and possibly take a beating, they duck other fighters because they're afraid of taking a loss and what the consequences of taking a loss would mean for them financially and career-wise."

Fear of losing the fight vs a better opponent, not feat of fighting. So you choose a weeker opponent.
Instead defending vs Romero, you choose Dan Henderson, for example.

Just because some people are morons and consider that every fighter that refuses a fight is ducking the other guy, doesn't mean that ducking doesn't exist.

Vojislav explains it very well in this thread
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/a-lot-of-mma-fans-dont-understand-what-ducking-is.3716365/
"Fighters don't duck other fighters because they're "scared" as in scared to physically fight them and possibly take a beating, they duck other fighters because they're afraid of taking a loss and what the consequences of taking a loss would mean for them financially and career-wise."
UFC wanted Bisping to keep the belt. They saw him as a bigger money maker than Romero. They probably never put that fight on the table,knowing they could make more lucrative moves in the long term.
What was bisping supposed to do? Say NO I CANT GET REVENGE ON DAN HENDERSON AND ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO LAUGHED AT ME WHEN I GET KOED. I GOTTA FIGHT ROMERO INSTEAD.
NO JEEZUS PUT THAT GSP FIGHT AWAY,HES ONLY A LEGEND. I DONT WANT TO CASH OUT AT ALL. SOME GUY ON SHERDOG NAMED HENDOKOBISPING69 WOULD BE VERY MAD AT ME IF I ACCEPTED THIS LATE CAREER PAYDAY.

It's a risk vs reward thing simply. Take Ryan Hall for ex. There's really no promotional advantage to fighting him or beating him, but he's a terrible match up for a ton of guys so the risk is high. Not that hard to understand really.
right it'd be a hard fight to win for guys in near his ranking, and you wont stand to win much from him.

He's the perfect example for this topic. Not worth losing too, Not worth winning against. Just not worth fighting him if you're a top 15 fw. and if you're a top 10 fw, you dont want to lose to a nameless fighter

Ducking is so arbitrary at this point everyone is ducking someone if you had the choice between two fights the one you didn't choose is a duck.

The only person who I'd really call a duck is Tyron Woodley but even his reason for avoiding top fights was holding out for a money match

If you're a fighter you're going to take the easiest match up that can make you the most at money. From a career standpoint nothing else really makes sense

Edit: I thought about it a little bit more, but daniel cormier is the biggest duck in the ufc i can think of currently. He avoided gustufson in favour of shogun. Until shogun lost to anthony smith then he just decides not to defend that title at all. then he wins the hw title and instead of doing the right thing and rematching stipe he goes for derrick lewis, who last fight against volkov was him getting his ass beat for 14mins and 30. if anyone is a cherry picker that avoids harder fights when money is no object It's DC. He'll fight jones whenever because it pays but when someone can beat him or hurt him badly, he wants nothing to do with it. even if they are rightfully number 1.
Ridiculous. Immediate rematches are stupid and becoming so commonplace that people just expect them to happen. So entitled.

If you're still the best in the world you can beat someone and EARN a shot. It's crazy to say it's ducking to refuse an unearned rematch.

They are afraid of losing, not fighting.

Like when Ferguson refused to rematch Johnson. He said it was because of money and all that, really Ferg just did not want to lose to Johnson again.

Ridiculous. Immediate rematches are stupid and becoming so commonplace that people just expect them to happen. So entitled.

If you're still the best in the world you can beat someone and EARN a shot. It's crazy to say it's ducking to refuse an unearned rematch.
Alexander gustufsson EARNED a lhw title shot as evidenced with jones gus two being made after cormier ducked him. second of all stipe had broken the title defense record and already beaten 4 of the top 5 guys at the time. DC is getting an immediate title rematch that he doesn't deserve. so lets complain about that instead.

Most of the time from fans who are living in the depths of the Salt Mines of Despair.

Back