Where do the "duck" arguments come from?

I GAVE you two textbook examples. Do you not have the capability of doing a simple Google search?

You’re being disingenuous by acting like you’re being objective on the topic yet calling anyone who states a fighter ducked a “troll”.

Sounds like you don’t want an answer to your question but rather just to validate your point.

<KingstonFrown>

I'm not interested in which fighters you dislike and what stories you invent about them

Forrest openly ducked jon jones. I remember hearing him in an interview saying he didn't want anything to do with that after what anderson did to him

Thank you for the info. Did he avoid a fight in the works or just said he wouldn't want that matchup? All I can find as of now is him randomly talking about Jones.

I'm not interested in which fighters you dislike and what stories you invent about them

Thank you for the info. Did he avoid a fight in the works or just said he wouldn't want that matchup? All I can find as of now is him randomly talking about Jones.

I think he was offered the fight and didn't want it. For the record, I like forrest and thought that video was amusing. Not trying to talk smack on him

Edit: found the clip, he was addressing a rumor and said he would fight him but hoped he didn't have to

Ducking is so arbitrary at this point everyone is ducking someone if you had the choice between two fights the one you didn't choose is a duck.

The only person who I'd really call a duck is Tyron Woodley but even his reason for avoiding top fights was holding out for a money match

If you're a fighter you're going to take the easiest match up that can make you the most at money. From a career standpoint nothing else really makes sense

Edit: I thought about it a little bit more, but daniel cormier is the biggest duck in the ufc i can think of currently. He avoided gustufson in favour of shogun. Until shogun lost to anthony smith then he just decides not to defend that title at all. then he wins the hw title and instead of doing the right thing and rematching stipe he goes for derrick lewis, who last fight against volkov was him getting his ass beat for 14mins and 30. if anyone is a cherry picker that avoids harder fights when money is no object It's DC. He'll fight jones whenever because it pays but when someone can beat him or hurt him badly, he wants nothing to do with it. even if they are rightfully number 1.

Last edited:
Are you implying there ISN’T any ducking in the UFC???

Don’t be that guy. Yair and Hooker are clear examples of ducks.

Yair opted to get cut rather than fight Zabit. Held out for a more favorable fight.

Hooker coming off a beheading by Barboza fought a higher ranked Iaquinta then used the excuse of rankings to blatantly duck Makhachev. Also held out for an easier fight against Felder.

<DisgustingHHH>
dan hooker is most certainly not a duck u bitch. thats one of the toughest dudes that ever lived.

Ppl who project there fears and insecurities onto other ppl.

Dude I know what ducking means.

And if you read the forums you'll see people arguing fighters are scared of this or that other fighter all the time. I simply think this is a bullshit argument. I'm very open to be proven wrong though, I'm a casual and a recent fan and I'm sure you know much more than I do (no sarcasm).

Certainly people will negotiate for favourable matchups. But favourable ranking and money wise more than everything.
It's very simple. It's not that these guys are afraid of fighting, or afraid of another person. They're afraid of losing and what it means for their career. Therefore, fighters will "duck" fights that have little perceived benefit to their careers, or guys who they're not confident they can beat. Styles make fights.

Read about it A LOT on Sherdog, how can someone in their right mind argue fighters would avoid do their fucking job out of... fear? Of fighting? Never really understood if this is trolling or just a Sherdog trope or whatever.

Has there ever been a proof of this? Like someone admitting it later or something.

Duck means a champion who doesn't give the top contender a title fight.

Except on Sherdog, where duck means a fighter turns down a requested fight. For instance, if I ask for a fight with GSP and he says no, by Sherdog standard that means he ducked me. The reason for him doing so (he wouldn't make money fighting me) is the usual reason for refusing a fight. If you think he might not fight me because of lack of challenge, ask yourself if he'd fight me (or say Bill Gates) for a billion dollars.

Forrest openly ducked jon jones. I remember hearing him in an interview saying he didn't want anything to do with that after what anderson did to him
Was Forest ever in any position to fight Jon Jones? By the time Jon got to Championship level Forest was well past it. He lost his belt in 2008.

Frankly I don't consider it Ducking unless you are the champion and refuse to fight the clear number one contender.

GDR refusing to fight Cyborg.
Tito refusing to fight Chuck back in the day
Henry Cejudo refusing to defend Fly Weight against Benavidez & calling out Faber and Aldo when Sterling and Yan are both miles ahead of Aldo at #9 and Faber who is out to pasture.

Those are 3 clear cases of DUCKING IMO

Ducking is so arbitrary at this point everyone is ducking someone if you had the choice between two fights the one you didn't choose is a duck.

The only person who I'd really call a duck is Tyron Woodley but even his reason for avoiding top fights was holding out for a money match

If youre a fighter you're going to take the easiest match up that can make you the most at money. From a career standpoint nothing else really makes sense

What top fights did Woodley avoid? He won the belt then defended it 4 times in 18 months. He asked for money fights but didn't get any. He fought who the UFC told him to.

How would training make you more or less able to understand when a fighter "Ducks" another fighter.
I just think it's hilarious (and ignorant) when people make comments about pro fighters "ducking" somebody else when they have never even sparred before or have never seen how hard fighters work in the gym. I have never turned down a fight but I have actually had plenty of opponents either decline a fight with me or pull out after accepting. I have never known the reasons why and I don't ask the promoters when they deliver the news. I always assume it's an injury, personal life issues or maybe it was their coaches' decision.

many fighters definitely duck fighters they think will beat them. But it's probably not that they are scared, they just know that a loss hurts their careers.

Was Forest ever in any position to fight Jon Jones? By the time Jon got to Championship level Forest was well past it. He lost his belt in 2008.

Frankly I don't consider it Ducking unless you are the champion and refuse to fight the clear number one contender.

Henry Cejudo refusing to defend Fly Weight against Benavidez & calling out Faber and Aldo when Sterling and Yan are both miles ahead of Aldo at #9 and Faber who is out to pasture.

See my edit, he was addressing a rumor and said he hoped he wasn't fighting him. I remembered the situation incorrectly and admitted to it in my post.

If youre a fighter you're going to take the easiest match up that can make you the most at money. From a career standpoint nothing else really makes sense

So khabib is not a fighter? He refuse higher paying Conor rematch for tougher opponent Tony and likely Justin after

Bisping ducked Whittaker
Ever heard of Chuck and Tito?

I don't like to accuse people of ducking but you all are most likely right in those particular situations. Tito, Bisping, and GSP (and now Cejudo) all chased the easier matchups that would make the most $$$$$

It's definitely more obvious when a champ does it and the UFC will usually go along with it because $$$$$ is the bottom line and they are trying to put on the biggest show.

Regardless, all those fighters are legends and are still bad asses. I guess they earned the right to get to that position where they can pick the red panty night over the hardest matchup with a lesser known contender. Not hard for me to understand why it happens. $$$$$

1siEVUl.png

Back