Where are the Shane Carwins of the world?

I GUARANTEE YOU ARE A SMALL MAN WHO IS SHORT IN STATURE, GUARANTEE!

So many butt hurt insecure white belts who train a little bjj and do a little muay thai at their neighborhood "ufc gym" and just desperately want to believe their hilarious skill (or lack thereof) will beat some big strong guy. You're WRONG, you are stone cold WRONG! Any big strong guy would rock you. SKill means nothing if the guy you are facing is much stronger than you.

YOU CLOWN

Pretty much any fighter of any weightclass would own me. I ain't no MMA fighter.

But I still think skill trumps power. That's why I don't think we'll see a HW in the UFC with no MMA experience, even if he's the meanest and strongest guy there is.

There all busy being cast as The Mountain on Game of Thrones.

those big guys are in the nfl and the nba

Fighting sports are more attractive to smaller guys, really big guys are usually really mellow and not often interested in actually fighting--sort of the opposite of short-mans complex.

That and the NFL and Basketball.

Ben_Rothwell_v_Devin_Cole_22.thumb.jpg

NFL or NBA, for someone that big, that strong and that athletic to forgo a career in either NFL or NBA to take up fighting..that someone must REALLLLYY love fighting. And even if that's the case, if he loved fighting he'll probably go into boxing where the money is.

I dont see why there cant be another Carwin. Not like he was the best athlete ever, just a big dude with good wrestling and crazy power.

I get your point but my point wasn't where are the big men with little MMA experience. I am saying where are the big men who grew up on MMA, do they not exist?
They don't exist because they are playing football and earning a minimum of $420,000/year instead.

It's called marketing, friend. Carwin exaggerated his size not out of insecurity, but out of a desire fit the bill of a behemoth that can match Lesnar in terms of size and strength. From what I've seen and heard from Carwin, the guy is really intelligent and down to earth...probably why he's an engineer and no longer getting paid to pummel others and growl at MMA fans.

url

The ones with any athletic ability are out competing in other sports. The ones without much athletic ability sometimes come to MMA, but they almost never do well. If you're that big and can't move or can't develop half decent cardio, you're not going to do well in MMA (or most any sport really).

Title says it all. Where are the big men who can have devastating power and can knock you out with a flinch or a 6 inch punch like Carwin did. I wanted to include Brock in the title as well but feared I would get flamed but he is the same size as well. Like it or not these big men came with little to no MMA experience and destroyed. Imagine if these guys were brought up on MMA, how good could they have gotten? When will see another Shane Carwin? Or are big men a thing of the past? Even though Carwin lost to JDS, I think he had a better chance at beating Cain seeing as one punch could be lights out for Cain and we all know JDS can out foot work Carwin and take any punch he can give.

Would have been nice to see if Carwin was for real or just another Sokodjou or Houston.

He only had 1 Top 10 win (against Mir) and 1 other good win against Gonzaga.

All of his other career wins were against terrible competition.

I dont understand what you mean though. Who said anything about height. My point was thats guys like Mocco and Taymazov are big and strong like Lesnar/Carwin but its muscle/size/strength that they built specifically for wrestling at the absolute highest levels and coupled it with exceptional technique, especially Artur. If all 4 guys are near 265 I feel like Lesnar and Carwin with those huge bodybuilder type muscles are much more likely to gas out.

Taymazov is 6'2.75 tall ( 1.90meter )
And he is of one special breed , kinda like Karelin ..
He has crazy but I mean really CRAZY genetics, don't forget his brother was a two times world champ and Olympic gold medalist in Olympic weightlifting in the 240 pounds division ..
Guy snatched 440lbs and cleaned and jerked 530 pounds...

That puts his "little" bro's genetics into perspective...

None of you understand; and never will. Guys like Brock and Carwin have zero training compared to the guys they flatten. I'm talking about guys like Brock who are so gifted that their learning curve is second to none. You give a genetic freak a year or two of training and he is molly whopping guys like noguiera and big foot who have been training FOREVER! I'm not talking about the average guy who works at the post office and happens to weigh 250, i'm saying THE A LEVEL ATHLETE, the guy who can jump 36 inches, run a 4.5 40 yard dash, bench press 405 and naturally athletic. You train him on sub defense and stand up and in one year he will beat the ever loving crap out of any other 250 pound guy who has all the skill but not the physical prowess. It's why Brock and Shane destroyed everyone, they came in and bullied people. It's why Brock was UFC champion in a year and a half and then why so many guys train their whole life and never even get into the UFC.

LOL
This is fucking BS .
Being athletic won't teach you to take a punch ..
And you conveniently forgot to say that they trained wrestling their whole life prior to coming to the UFC and trained striking for several years too..
It's not like they were just roided WWE bodybuilder like Batista/Ryback guys..

Also Brock did so well because of "nice" match making to say the least, as soon as he started to run into big guys who weren't taylor made for him he got dispatched

Taymazov is 6'2.75 tall ( 1.90meter )
And he is of one special breed , kinda like Karelin ..
He has crazy but I mean really CRAZY genetics, don't forget his brother was a two times world champ and Olympic gold medalist in Olympic weightlifting in the 240 pounds division ..
Guy snatched 440lbs and cleaned and jerked 530 pounds...

That puts his "little" bro's genetics into perspective...

Im a huge Artur Fan and Ive checked out his brother Timmur's videos on youtube as well. They are both friggin beasts. Once I read an article in an MMA mag before the London games that suggested Artur would try his hand at MMA. It was probably all bs spec but it got me interested.

why doesn't anyone here look up reigning champs in combat sports history? just because your built like a mack truck won't make you a long term champ.

Last edited:
didn't shaq lose to oscar delahoya in a boxing match? shaq also got taken down by charles barkely who is half his size. go look up the youtube vid.

there is a reason why heavy weight champs look like fedor, cain, jds, even mike tyson wasn't a big guy he was only 5'10. muhammad ali is not built like a mac truck yet he destroyed the big man george foreman.

Bill goldberg close to 300lbs he trained in mma. he wore mma gloves in wcw before mma became mainstream. he also said he trained with coleman and few other fighters. you know what happened to goldberg? chris jericho made him go to sleep. chocked him out in a locker room fight.

if you think people who are built like carwin and who are skilled will reign the ufc, you haven't been paying attention to any types of combat sports.

if you consider yourself a shane carwin and you never been in a fight you shouldn't be going around making blank statements.

Foreman was like 220 when he and Ali fought, he may have weighed a few more ponds than Ali and they were about the same height, no real size difference. Foreman was also extremely slow and plodding.

Most guys with elite size and athleticism are making a helluva lot more money in the NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, etc.

Most guys with elite size and athleticism are making a helluva lot more money in the NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, etc.

there's only a handfull of big guys in nba and mlb, most of the guys in nba are slim built and not considered big. Bobb Sapp was a former nfl player, even if he had technique you think he would not be finished as much as he was finished? the guy had no heart and he hit the mat way too many times. i don't watch nhl so don't know much about them.

I get your point but my point wasn't where are the big men with little MMA experience. I am saying where are the big men who grew up on MMA, do they not exist?

I don't think you get that size doing MMA style training.

Back