Where are the Shane Carwins of the world?

Hez

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Title says it all. Where are the big men who can have devastating power and can knock you out with a flinch or a 6 inch punch like Carwin did. I wanted to include Brock in the title as well but feared I would get flamed but he is the same size as well. Like it or not these big men came with little to no MMA experience and destroyed. Imagine if these guys were brought up on MMA, how good could they have gotten? When will see another Shane Carwin? Or are big men a thing of the past? Even though Carwin lost to JDS, I think he had a better chance at beating Cain seeing as one punch could be lights out for Cain and we all know JDS can out foot work Carwin and take any punch he can give.

shane_carwin.jpg

Brock-Lesnar-Wallpaper-For-Facebook-Cover7.jpg

Those big men with no MMA experience don't reach the UFC anymore.

You know why?

Because skill trumps power.

(Disclaimer: I am NOT saying Carwin and Brock do not have skill)

They're all playing sports that actually pay a living wage. Just look at the NFL, most of those guys make more in one game then a UFC fighter does in years.

Hitting hard only can get you so far, the heavyweight division requires more than that.

MOAR

DA6

There's also the cardiovascular realities of most men that size, with that much muscle, fighting in high level MMA.

They're beasts for a round.

Not so much for the next 2 to 5.

also tren and now TRT banned from UFC.

is normal

Those big men with no MMA experience don't reach the UFC anymore.

You know why?

Because skill trumps power.

(Disclaimer: I am NOT saying Carwin and Brock do not have skill)

I get your point but my point wasn't where are the big men with little MMA experience. I am saying where are the big men who grew up on MMA, do they not exist?

why did you bold your response? You know the quoted text shows up in a box to differentiate between your post and the one you're quoting, right?

why did you bold your response? You know the quoted text shows up in a box to differentiate between your post and the one you're quoting, right?

this ain't my first rodeo, just thought it could use a little more umph, if you will. :D

if i had to guess i'd say probably in the NFL. examples JJ Watt, Javedon Clowney, Ndamakin Sou, Kyle Williams, Mario Williams, Lamar Woodley, Terrell Suggs, Lawerence Timmons, Adrian Clayborn, Rob Gronkowski, Jerod Mayo, i could keep going for another 100 guys at least probably.

this ain't my first rodeo, just thought it could use a little more umph, if you will. :D

that.... well, that...

Laurence-Fishburne.gif

He's already here, his name is Soa Palelei

hahah ya I guess he is a good one but we shall see when he fights someone top 10. Carwin was top 10 all day long. Soa is yet to reach that point. We shall see how he plays out

don't tell me what to do

I get your point but my point wasn't where are the big men with little MMA experience. I am saying where are the big men who grew up on MMA, do they not exist?

Most american athletes that size do not go into mma. Someone like jared allen might train for fun, but he plays the sport that pays. Brock switched when he got tired of wrasslin. Carwin wasnt a pro athlete for anyone until he turned 30. Must have gotten bored of being an engineer.

Is this a roundabout way of asking where UberTS is?

They're all playing sports that actually pay a living wage. Just look at the NFL, most of those guys make more in one game then a UFC fighter does in years.

I think this is it. They grow up playing football in HS, get big and athletic, go on to play FB in college, then maybe good enough to make it to the pros.

Why would they switch to mma?

Maybe in 20 years once this generation has kids and starts them out in Bjj at a young age and a few of them happen to have the genetics to be animals. But bjj, mma, kickboxing don't push hitting the weights and getting big as much as football does. Even the ones destined to get big will limit themselves from growing by desire to fight in a weight class

I think that's why feather and lightweight divisions have the most depth. At 18-20 someone decides they want to make an attempt at growing pro with fighting. They weigh 160-180 then. They should grow and fill out even more to 180-220 or something, but they watch their diet and make sure they can stay at their current weight class through the years so that they don't have to be disadvantaged against bigger opponents.

Those young fighters in their 20s should be moving up a weight class every 2 or 3 years, but they don't because that limits their success in the now. One of the only fighters I can think of who moved up as he grew was Erik Silva, and well, that's not working out the best for him.

There's also the cardiovascular realities of most men that size, with that much muscle, fighting in high level MMA.

They're beasts for a round.

Not so much for the next 2 to 5.

Not true, Brock looked good. All three rounds against HH and Carwin against JDS!

Back