Where are the Shane Carwins of the world?

Those big men with no MMA experience don't reach the UFC anymore.

You know why?

Because skill trumps power.

(Disclaimer: I am NOT saying Carwin and Brock do not have skill)

Good point. I was thinking the same thing.

They're all playing sports that actually pay a living wage. Just look at the NFL, most of those guys make more in one game then a UFC fighter does in years.

This too. This is a huge factor in why we don't see more athletic HW's. Typically, guys that big get recruited for either basketball or football during highschool. If they're good enough, they'll play college ball. No plans for MMA. What for if you can make more with less risk?

There's also the cardiovascular realities of most men that size, with that much muscle, fighting in high level MMA.

They're beasts for a round.

Not so much for the next 2 to 5.

This too. Cain can handle 265'ers size and strength, but 265'ers can't handle his speed and cardio.

I get your point but my point wasn't where are the big men with little MMA experience. I am saying where are the big men who grew up on MMA, do they not exist?

Soa is the only big guy I can think of who's "grown up" on MMA. Since he's a black belt, and it takes like 7-10 years to get a black belt in BJJ, he's the only one who I can think of besides Brazilian HW's.

JDS hits as hard as Carwin, plus Carwin landed hard shots on JDS and he barely flinched.

Carwin was a power house though.

Stop with A level athlete garbage. Without spending their whole life wrestling, Carwin and Lesnar would only have been big punching bags

They are on the treadmill and in the gym doing agility work. Seriously dont you remember around 2010 we thought we were seeing the emergence of the bigger HWs? Fighters only even dedicated a cover to it with Brock, Shane, Duffee, Uber Mir, Overeem, Lashley, and all the other 250+ HWs. I think the guys your refering to who actually want to compete in MMA are trying to slim down a bit and lose the exess muscle. Brock may have been one of the only guys who could carry all that muscle but still maintain a good degree of endurance, but Brock was 1 in a billion freak. It seems now that 235-245 is ideal for HW.

Stop with A level athlete garbage. Without spending their whole life wrestling, Carwin and Lesnar would only have been big punching bags

But Carwin did have natural born punching power. I tell u what though, Id rather see more top level HW wrestlers enter MMA than any over muscled "athletes". Now I know that both Carwin and Brock were exceptional HW wrestlers, but there are HW wrestlers out there who would be much more effective in MMA in my opinion. Guys like Steve Mocco (already in MMA), Tervel Dlagnev, Artur Taymazov, etc These guys weigh in near 265 but not bc they are overly muscled, just bc they are huge dudes. They are superb athletes with immense technical ability. Id love to see them fight.

Title says it all. Where are the big men who can have devastating power and can knock you out with a flinch or a 6 inch punch like Carwin did. I wanted to include Brock in the title as well but feared I would get flamed but he is the same size as well. Like it or not these big men came with little to no MMA experience and destroyed. Imagine if these guys were brought up on MMA, how good could they have gotten? When will see another Shane Carwin? Or are big men a thing of the past? Even though Carwin lost to JDS, I think he had a better chance at beating Cain seeing as one punch could be lights out for Cain and we all know JDS can out foot work Carwin and take any punch he can give.

shane_carwin.jpg

Brock-Lesnar-Wallpaper-For-Facebook-Cover7.jpg

Carwin always made me lol here was this big guy that was always feeling small
if brock had gloves that 1.5 times bigger than standard gloves Carwin had to have a gloves that were 2 times bigger
if some guy had to cut 20lbs of muscle to get to hw then carwin had to cut 30lbs
if brock wore a size 15 shoe he wore size 16

they used to list him at like 6'4" then in the mir fight after weigh in they had to do the stare down he ran back over and put his stilt shoes on so he would appear taller than mir

he seemed to have some size issues in his head

they are in the ww division, just a few inches shorter and 60-70 pounds lighter. Big doesnt mean powerful, look at manhoef vs hw's. And there are very few athletic men that big, that aren't also fat

The NFL is the correct answer. Maybe to a lesser extent the NBA.

Very few people groom kids for MMA. Sure, it happens, but it is still considered weird. There are only so many UberTS kids out there.

American football can get you a college education, mainstream admiration and acceptance and a great income.

The guys who trained Herschel Walker for MMA said that if he had started earlier, he would be a world champion. Look at Matt Mitrione - he started MMA in his 30's and was able to hold is own - certainly the equivalent of a guy who can hold a roster spot and get playing time in the NFL. Not saying every NFL player could do that - some guys don't handle getting hit very well, but my god - just think of what some of the freak athletes in football could do...especially if they cut to MW and LHW.

Big men like that aren't born, they are made. Guys get huge like that from serious body building and strength training. To get that huge at a young age you have to have started training at a young age... if you are training in mma from a young age you will have a very hard time being huge since it is such crazy cardio.

hence why football is big men.. it is explosive energy not cardio.

I GUARANTEE YOU ARE A SMALL MAN WHO IS SHORT IN STATURE, GUARANTEE!

So many butt hurt insecure white belts who train a little bjj and do a little muay thai at their neighborhood "ufc gym" and just desperately want to believe their hilarious skill (or lack thereof) will beat some big strong guy. You're WRONG, you are stone cold WRONG! Any big strong guy would rock you. SKill means nothing if the guy you are facing is much stronger than you.

YOU CLOWN

I am 6'0 216 pounds muscle and you are completely wrong...

just being big will get you killed in a real fight... if a smaller guy knows what he is doing he will beat the shit out of a bigger guy without even getting hit.

but when you have a bigger guy with maybe a little bit worse skills then the small guy but skills... it sucks to be small.

carwin and lesnar were both wrestlers. carwin beefed himself up significantly and was involved in a ped investigation.

fighting is hard and takes years of work and dedication and more than just being big. there will be more.

But Carwin did have natural born punching power. I tell u what though, Id rather see more top level HW wrestlers enter MMA than any over muscled "athletes". Now I know that both Carwin and Brock were exceptional HW wrestlers, but there are HW wrestlers out there who would be much more effective in MMA in my opinion. Guys like Steve Mocco (already in MMA), Tervel Dlagnev, Artur Taymazov, etc These guys weigh in near 265 but not bc they are overly muscled, just bc they are huge dudes. They are superb athletes with immense technical ability. Id love to see them fight.

Steve Mocco is under six feet tall and I'm not sure how tall Taymazov is but he is jacked and all muscle.

Steve Mocco is under six feet tall and I'm not sure how tall Taymazov is but he is jacked and all muscle.

I dont understand what you mean though. Who said anything about height. My point was thats guys like Mocco and Taymazov are big and strong like Lesnar/Carwin but its muscle/size/strength that they built specifically for wrestling at the absolute highest levels and coupled it with exceptional technique, especially Artur. If all 4 guys are near 265 I feel like Lesnar and Carwin with those huge bodybuilder type muscles are much more likely to gas out.

I GUARANTEE YOU ARE A SMALL MAN WHO IS SHORT IN STATURE, GUARANTEE!

So many butt hurt insecure white belts who train a little bjj and do a little muay thai at their neighborhood "ufc gym" and just desperately want to believe their hilarious skill (or lack thereof) will beat some big strong guy. You're WRONG, you are stone cold WRONG! Any big strong guy would rock you. SKill means nothing if the guy you are facing is much stronger than you.

YOU CLOWN

lol. :redface: you're a bitch, just saying lol

I dont understand what you mean though. Who said anything about height. My point was thats guys like Mocco and Taymazov are big and strong like Lesnar/Carwin but its muscle/size/strength that they built specifically for wrestling at the absolute highest levels and coupled it with exceptional technique, especially Artur. If all 4 guys are near 265 I feel like Lesnar and Carwin with those huge bodybuilder type muscles are much more likely to gas out.

Steve Mocco gassed out and lost his last fight to a guy Lesnar or Carwin would walk over so I don't think it's fair to compare him to those two.

Steve Mocco gassed out and lost his last fight to a guy Lesnar or Carwin would walk over so I don't think it's fair to compare him to those two.

Maybe your convincing me that Lesnar and carwin were actually very very good fighters that probably wont get the respect they deserve. But that has generally been my position all along. Im confused now.

To all the people arguing big vs small, the world isn't black and white, every person and scenario varies in so many ways. Sometimes the big guy wins sometimes the small guy wins.

Carwin always made me lol here was this big guy that was always feeling small
if brock had gloves that 1.5 times bigger than standard gloves Carwin had to have a gloves that were 2 times bigger
if some guy had to cut 20lbs of muscle to get to hw then carwin had to cut 30lbs
if brock wore a size 15 shoe he wore size 16

they used to list him at like 6'4" then in the mir fight after weigh in they had to do the stare down he ran back over and put his stilt shoes on so he would appear taller than mir

he seemed to have some size issues in his head

It's called marketing, friend. Carwin exaggerated his size not out of insecurity, but out of a desire fit the bill of a behemoth that can match Lesnar in terms of size and strength. From what I've seen and heard from Carwin, the guy is really intelligent and down to earth...probably why he's an engineer and no longer getting paid to pummel others and growl at MMA fans.

Back