Where are the Shane Carwins of the world?

Many little guys exposed ITT. Keep wearing booster shoes....nobody will notice ;)

there's only a handfull of big guys in nba and mlb, most of the guys in nba are slim built and not considered big. Bobb Sapp was a former nfl player, even if he had technique you think he would not be finished as much as he was finished? the guy had no heart and he hit the mat way too many times. i don't watch nhl so don't know much about them.

The NBA guys are training to play basketball. Most could likely bulk up if they changed their training focus. There aren't many big guys in MLB? Almost all of the sluggers in MLB are pretty damn big. Bob Sapp couldn't hack it in the NFL.

I'm not saying that all the elite athletes in the major team sports could transition to MMA as many likely couldn't. Hell, some of the better athletes in MMA never rise to the top. All I'm saying is that most of the guys with the combination of elite size and elite athleticism are making more money in other sports than they would be in MMA and that's why we don't see them in MMA.

They don't exist because they are playing football and earning a minimum of $420,000/year instead.

yeah, because every d1 collegiate football player goes on to the pros.

Hez said:
can knock you out with a flinch or a 6 inch punch like Carwin did
This is one of the biggest myths in all of combat sports.

We have never and will never see this kind of power, because it does not fucking exist.

I will dismantle and refute any contrary assertions with skill and expediency.

Also, one should consider the ramifications of the fact that most of the documented examples of people dominating with little/no mma experience, happened in 2009 and 2010.. in the HEAVYWEIGHT division :icon_lol:

who cares?? carwin one of the most overrated fighters in ufc history.

Pretty much any fighter of any weightclass would own me. I ain't no MMA fighter.

But I still think skill trumps power. That's why I don't think we'll see a HW in the UFC with no MMA experience, even if he's the meanest and strongest guy there is.

Skill can trump power but you look at how well Bob Sapp managed to do in combat sports without really having any skill and I wonder (this is before he started taking a heap of dives of course).

Carwin was mad accurate with his strikes as well, he and Lesnar weren't just big gorillas they were very technical and athletic in their own ways.

Professional boxing. "Sluggers" can get compensated substantially more in boxing than they can in MMA. Then those that aren't in boxing are either fighting in K1 or some toughman competition. Basically big guys that can knock people out with one punch don't like to waste time wrestling or trying to avoid being taken down and submitted.

The rest (NFL players, power lifters, olympic lifters and strongman) either aren't interested in being professional fighters, don't have the technical skill or simply are being paid too well (NFL).

Carwin was mad accurate with his strikes as well, he and Lesnar weren't just big gorillas they were very technical and athletic in their own ways.

No he wasn't. Carwin's accuracy was still at an amateur level in terms of striking standards. But I guess you could classify it as above average for mma standards.

What I've learned from this thread is that it takes no skill to play football and anyone who looks like Shane Carwin can easily become a superstar in that sport.

shouldn't those men go into boxing, so they could make better use of their KO skills plus make more money?

They're in Bellator.
BoRosUMIUAANRwS.jpg:large

Would have been nice to see if Carwin was for real or just another Sokodjou or Houston.

He only had 1 Top 10 win (against Mir) and 1 other good win against Gonzaga.

All of his other career wins were against terrible competition.

The depending on the ref he could have got the win over Lesnar.

It was a fair call not stopping it, but plenty of refs would have stopped that fight.

I do wonder where all the HW College wrestlers are going to??

They are meant to be good, they are well suited but we really aren't seeing many of them.

Probably in well playing sports, or got a degree thanks to their scholarship and are working less dangerous jobs.

Back