When someone taps - YOU LET GO (vid)

This thread makes me want to never come onto Sherdog again. Only 1 dude out of dozens has any common sense? Everyone else is acting like a blithering idiot. Seriously people, chill out. I feel bad for the deaf guy on the ground but he didn't get hurt. He didn't get choked out. Sure he was probably uncomfortable. But what did you want the security guard to do? He couldn't communicate with the guy so he really had no choice but to restrain him. Maybe the guard should have pulled guard and put him in mission control. Would that satisfy all of you angry beeyotches?

This might blow your simple little mind, but it is in fact possible to communicate with deaf people without tackling and choking them. I've seen it done myself. It's possible.

This might blow your simple little mind, but it is in fact possible to communicate with deaf people without tackling and choking them. I've seen it done myself. It's possible.

However, it appears that it is impossible to communicate with idiots. Show me the tackle, Einstein.

BTW, how many deaf people have you communicated with while trying to apprehend for possibly committing a crime?

Neanderthals-- only less civil, and less intelligent.
btw- where is this?
Sue the shit out of these fascists.

You mean the part where he was being choked "so hard" that he was able to tap the guy 400 times? And LOL at you not just "laying there." You fight back, they fight harder. Who's side do you think the cops will take when they get there? And you assume that the situation would "clear itself up." How the hell do you know? Maybe the guy just wanted to get free long enough to pull his gun? Who's the idiot at that point? The moronic security guard that let him actually get his gun out. You have absolutely no idea how big of a threat he was. So it's MUCH better to control the situation until you can PROVE he's not a threat.
Seems like he did a pretty good job at restraining him? And when, ONCE AGAIN I ASK, did he choke him out? If his job is to hold him there until the police arrive I think he did exactly that with MINIMAL damage.

It's called the 4th Amendment, genius. Bother reading it some time. It trumps some gorilla at the mall.

It's called the 4th Amendment, genius. Bother reading it some time. It trumps some gorilla at the mall.

Seriously, dude? You think detaining a shoplifting suspect is unconstitutional? A person can use reasonable force to make an arrest. It's perfectly legal and constitutional. The only question is whether the force used is reasonable or not.

all the people trying to defend the guards just stop trying to be against everyone else just to be different. stop and use some logic. the guard was clearly bigger a lot bigger, and could have used extremely minimal force to control the much weaker deaf guy on the bottom. he was ignorant and just wanted to be the big man in control. If the second guard had just stopped and analyzed the situation (which im clearly asking too much for) all of this nonsense would have been avoided.

Seriously, dude? You think detaining a shoplifting suspect is unconstitutional? A person can use reasonable force to make an arrest. It's perfectly legal and constitutional. The only question is whether the force used is reasonable or not.

Did you miss the person who posted the California rule book regarding what security guards can and can't do? It specifically said you CAN NOT use ANY force unless it is in SELF DEFENSE. There is no way in hell that guard can claim self defense.

This thread makes me want to never come onto Sherdog again. Only 1 dude out of dozens has any common sense? Everyone else is acting like a blithering idiot. Seriously people, chill out. I feel bad for the deaf guy on the ground but he didn't get hurt. He didn't get choked out. Sure he was probably uncomfortable. But what did you want the security guard to do? He couldn't communicate with the guy so he really had no choice but to restrain him. Maybe the guard should have pulled guard and put him in mission control. Would that satisfy all of you angry beeyotches?

What's up Paul Blart. Mall cops can't pull Batmans. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Sweet jesus people, try looking at the other side for juuuuuust a second. YOU are a security guard. Guys walk out, alarm goes off. You shout at them to stop, they ignore you. You shout again and give chase...they ignore you. So you tell someone to call the police and head out to stop the guy. You are going to restrain him until the police arrive. He freaks out, well, of course, I expect that, but I'm going to keep him here until the police arrive. His friend starts going nuts, what kind of scam are these guys pulling? I can't make sense of what they're saying. Hmm, they sound like they might be deaf?

Okay, stop. What the hell are they SUPPOSED to do at this point?

"Oh, well, I'm sorry, I didn't know you were deaf, please proceed on your way with our stolen merchandise!" -uh, no

"Hmm, okay he's deaf, his buddy is freaking out and appears deaf also, but he's really squirming so I need to hold this guy down until the cops get here." -hmm, maybe?

And at NO point did he ever "choke him out." They guy was never unconscious. The security guard looked like he was merely trying to control him. Tight head and arm control. Holding the guys arm behind his back. He NEVER threw a punch. And once he was able to mount and then subdue, he cuffed him, and quietly led him away. You guys are all acting like because these guys were deaf that they should be treated differently somehow than any other person who sets off the alarm. That the security guards should just stand up and "hopefully" these guys will write notes back and forth to them to get it all straightened out. How do you know that they won't kick the guards in the nuts and run away? How do you know the spastic friend didn't just walk out with a cutlery set and is going to open it and gut one of the guards? Well, you don't. So you contain the situation, you CONTROL the situation, to the best of your ability. You don't let someone ELSE control the situation. Deaf or otherwise. The is the same problem that police officers face every day during "routine" police stops. Just because you've never killed anyone or have never fired a gun doesn't mean they know it, BUT they HAVE to assume it for their safety.

I'm not saying that the deaf guys stole something but I'm not saying that they DIDN'T either. More than likely this is a case of some cashier not de-magnetizing or removing a security tag on something that they bought. But at the same time the guards didn't hurt him and in all actuality was quite "gentle". Think about what that security guard could have done to the guy on the bottom if he wanted to? Knees...punches...etc.

You're blowing this as much out of proportion as the mall cop.

WTF is with the idiots talking about 'not resisting' security guards. They're not cops, they're just employees for a company. They have the right to force you to leave, not force you to stay, unless its a felony serious enough to be considered a citizens arrest maybe.

And you most definitely have the right to defend yourself from one, just like they can defend themselves from you.

I swear if a security guard tried something like that on a friend of mine. Holy shit.

Did you miss the person who posted the California rule book regarding what security guards can and can't do? It specifically said you CAN NOT use ANY force unless it is in SELF DEFENSE. There is no way in hell that guard can claim self defense.
There is your answer Jar man.

Why would you "detain" a guy walking away, not running, WALKING? Thats the 1st question, 2nd they are not ALLOWED to use force unless they are trying to protect themselves.

Finally what ever happened to walking up to the guy and ASKING him if had the receipt?

There is your answer Jar man.

Why would you "detain" a guy walking away, not running, WALKING? Thats the 1st question, 2nd they are not ALLOWED to use force unless they are trying to protect themselves.

Finally what ever happened to walking up to the guy and ASKING him if had the receipt?

Seriously I don't understand why he couldn't have ran up to them and just grabbed him by the arm/shoulder.

To conclude: this video makes me sick and I hope those guys lose their jobs, careers (if you can call it that) and get sued to shit.

Ninjamurf, you are a tool, you know nothing about security and, worse, have very little in the way of common sense. I struggle to believe you're even watching the same video as everyone else.

I don't doubt it was a difficult situation but there's ways of going about handling said situations and nothing in that video was correct, before you even get to the fact that security guards can't man-handle people.

Just a tid bit of info. All of the mall cop shit is not as relevant in this as you are all saying.
You can't necessarily assume that this is just a "mall cop". For those of you who don't know, a lot of actual police officers work security jobs as second jobs. And what an off duty officer is allowed to do in criminal situations goes beyond what just a citizen or a normal security guard may do.
Hey I hate security guards as much as the next guy, I used to be a skateboarder in high school. But something doesn't strike me as this just being a regular security officer.
Plus when the guys show up in the BID Patrol uniforms, those are private security firm officers who are made up of off duty and retired police. So I am sure that the LAPD is aware of the situation.
And the sad part about it is, BID Patrol was created because of the rampant out of control crime and theft that was being committed against business owners in the Hollywood entertainment area. Perhaps if the world hadn't turned to such shit already, these guys wouldn't be so much on edge when something minor happens and they overreact and it turns into this.
It's an ugly situation regardless, I just wish everyone would reserve judgment until all the facts come out.

i got fucking goosebumps from anger.
this is COMPLETELY FUCKED.

I used to work loss prevention (and have a bachelors in security systems) and that is crazyyyyyyyyy illegal!!

That lawsuit is worth millions!

FYI- if u are ever stopped by security (and u did NOT steal anything) simply ask them "Are you detaining me?" if they say Yes, say OK and go with them. They are not allowed to unlawfully detain you. That lawsuit typically is worth $10K. So something like THIS VIDEO is literally worth millions (assuming he didnt steal anything)

Its assault based on illegal detention! BIG MONEY! Believe it or not.

Compaines have the right to protect their merchandise but they have NOOOOO right to detain people who have NOT stolen their merchandise. That is no differnet than you grabbing someone on the street, handcuffing them and calling the cops for no reason. They arent above the law bc you were shopping in their store. Technically its kidnapping but not looked at as such. So trust me, if u are ever stopped...act like a smug asshole who stole something and ask them if they are detaining you. Then call a lawyer, but they will settle immediately for $5K. Trust me, bc they know a judge will give you $10K.

To convict a person for shoplifting you need;
1. to see them enter the department without the merchandise
2. to see them conseal the item
3. see them pass the point of sale with the item (without paying for it)

If they put something in their bag (even on camera) and then drop it without security seeing they dropped it, and they stop you.....LAWSUIT!!

Last edited:
Assume much? "Clearly deaf" and "clearly nonviolent"? That's idiotic to assume. The guy on the bottom was NOT nonviolent, he was squirming his ass off. Trying to get away. Sure, he didn't know what was going on but what your saying is that the security guard should just get off him because he was deaf? Or because he wasn't "squirming effectively"? No, the security guards job was obviously to hold him down. He wasn't "choking the shit out of" him, he was holding him down. Try holding down someone who doesn't really want to be held down. What do you do? Hold tighter. Common sense.

And I point out that the security guard didn't WANT to hurt the guy. It's actually pretty obvious if you watch the video. If he WANTED to hurt that guy? Sweet jeebus he would have BLASTED him on any number of occasions. So, yes, he was trying to restrain him with minimal damage.

You are defining defending yourself and trying to get away from a threatening situation as violence. So now you have admitted that the deaf man was not trying to assault the security guard. So the security guard should understand that and change the tactic of detaining him. His friend is clearly trying to help him in a nonviolent way. Any question of not letting him go for fear of retribution with a weapon is also pointless. The guard never controlled the deaf man's hands. If he had a weapon he could have reached for it at any time during the altercation.

Back