When someone taps - YOU LET GO (vid)

how the fuck CAN'T you know they were deaf? were they BOTH having a stroke? speaking in some bizarro english dialect?

this is what happens when stupid people are allowed (or think they're allowed) to make decisions like this.

there's no way this wasn't excessive force, especially with the non-resistance and with the tapping. not to mention there's a whole repertoire of arm immobilization techniques before you attempt 'lateral vascular restraints'.

i hope both of the idiots in suits go to jail, and i hope those men get a fat settlement. i'll be the first to knock the litigiousness of our society, but in this case, yeah, sue their pants off.

One of the guys I train with does security, he told me at most is he's allowed to is to chase after them, get their description. He's not allowed to restrain them in any fashion or even touch them.

I guess they got their restraining techniques in a bjj class?

PS: I'm jesting if you can't tell.

The guy threw up his 10th Planet gangsign and the security guard was obviously a Royler Gracie black belt. :icon_twis

I'm going to hell. I had to make light of this situation because it's depressing on many levels and this is how I cope. You understand. I'd take that guys arm home.

The guy not being able to get to his friend and the other guard blocking him was so frustrating.

Also, I was glad to see the deaf guy recover the guard before giving up mount. At least he escaped the submission... after tapping and not being released.

I couldn't watch it past the time I saw him tapping and the dude not letting go. WTF is this.

Wow I felt sick watching this. Makes me appreciate my training more.

As someone that works event security, I can tell you the rent-a-cops went way outside of of acceptable protocols. You have a non-violent suspect on the ground and a non-violent suspect trying to sow you something. Especially one that is obviously unable to either hear or understand what you are saying.

Video is a pretty open and shut case, if they do indeed have a receipt.

The friend should have wrote something down on paper to describe the deafness. I am uncertain of any literacy issues that the guards might have, so it could have been a waste of time.

:rolleyes: Where's Roger Huerta when you need him? Notice how no one does anything. This is pretty disgusting.

:rolleyes: Where's Roger Huerta when you need him? Notice how no one does anything. This is pretty disgusting.

I see the deaf guy just settling out of court instead of going through with the proceedings.

There is no excuse for this. In the video description it says the security guy just out and out tackled the deaf guy before he had a chance to explain himself.

As for the other guy writing something down I think it's fair to say he was frantic and unable to think that clearly as his friend was literally being choked in front of him.

As for complying, he looks like he was trying to comply with the tapping. He wasn't fighting back and neither was his friend. It sickens me that not one person in that crowd came forward. You could see the deaf guy getting choked was looking out for sympathy/help and not one person came. That had to be devastating since I bet he felt like he was being choked to death in front of a crowd and no one was going to do a thing.

Hope they sue, hope they win.
-Dan

I like the idea of beating up mall security as much as the next guy, but you'd be stupid to try to stop a security guard from detaining someone without knowing all the details (Legally, you'd be stupid to do even if you did know all the details.)

how the fuck CAN'T you know they were deaf? were they BOTH having a stroke? speaking in some bizarro english dialect?

this is what happens when stupid people are allowed (or think they're allowed) to make decisions like this.

there's no way this wasn't excessive force, especially with the non-resistance and with the tapping. not to mention there's a whole repertoire of arm immobilization techniques before you attempt 'lateral vascular restraints'.

i hope both of the idiots in suits go to jail, and i hope those men get a fat settlement. i'll be the first to knock the litigiousness of our society, but in this case, yeah, sue their pants off.

This!!:mad:

I think we need to remind people that chokes when improperly applied can harm the trachea, cause brain damage or even kill you.

In some countries/states, chokes are considered using lethal force because of the potential brain damage they can incurr if they are held for far too long.
The security guards AND the company that hires them should be held accountable.

I think we need to remind people that chokes when improperly applied can harm the trachea, cause brain damage or even kill you.

It can happen even if applied correctly and released as soon as people go out. You never know what the hell kind of condition somebody's brain might be in. They could have a blood vessel ready to pop like a time bomb.

I like the idea of beating up mall security as much as the next guy, but you'd be stupid to try to stop a security guard from detaining someone without knowing all the details (Legally, you'd be stupid to do even if you did know all the details.)

In VA if I can make a case for his life being endangered I have every right to step in and intervene. Obviously he's not a cop so that's not an issue, and he was certainly getting choked/neck cranked. I don't think 'beating him up' would have been the proper solution, but certainly making sure he let go of that nasty hold would have been the right thing to do.
-Dan

Ok, this is a terrible mess... I can't really blame anyone there, but the security lacked tact and skill in dealing with the situation. They should sue the store for the danger they faced and the bad, constranging situation they were put through without any need. It reminds me of the much worse story of how the cops shot a deaf man in the mouth in my region, since he "was making fun" of them by not talking.

Back