When did you give up on your childish career dream?

I stopped playing in bands hoping to make it a living at 29 however, I maintained my career in publishing the whole time so when I stopped playing music, I had a career still. I ended up leaving that world to open my own business which gave me the skills necessary to do what I do now.
Which is?

As a little kid I loved Top Gun and I wanted to fly Tomcats for the US Air Force. But that dream didn't last because I learnt you couldn't be a fighter pilot with short sightedness. Also I was British so I couldn't join the US Air Force, and the Royal Air Force didn't have Tomcats so I wasn't interested. So I wound up in volleyball instead

Oh, I wanted to be Maverick from Top Gun. Not a fighter pilot, but actually Maverick. I used to run around trying to get people to call me Mav but it never stuck.

I also wanted to write stories as well. I did end up doing that for cash. Still do, so I guess I never really gave up on the dream job.

Never had one, it was a big part of my problems as a youngster. "What are you going to do with your life?", was far more pressure than I was capable of handling as a 12yo. Ended up getting high.

wanted to be a fireman, no one said 'fire fighter' back then, but that dream was extinguished when I got caught committing arson.

Last edited:
My 5 year old dream - when I was 7 and realized I couldn’t turn into a turtle

7 year old dream - when I realized ghostbusters was not a real profession when I was 9

10 year old dream to be a WWE wrestler - when I was in my 20s and realized my back wouldn’t be able to take the abuse day in day out.

22 year old dream to be a UFC fighter - when I realized I don’t have to damn money or time to train full time and stupidly turned down Kevin Randlemans offer with quitting my job (which I lost later that year anyways) to fly out and train in Vegas. I ended up in a serious relationship and she was not supportive of my other endeavors outside of me talking care of her basically. My fault, not hers though, nobody made me date then marry her.

My current dream of competing internationally in Buhurt is going okay so far. Realistically in 2 years I could be fighting at the international level. Easier to achieve now that I already have a steady career, own a home and so on.

Last edited:
Kids always have these ideas that they're going to grow up to be a famous actor, or rapper, or I guess nowadays it's YouTuber or TikTokker.

I think the longer you cling to these ideas the less successful you'll be in life.

The people who accept the fact that they're going to be a software engineer or warehouse manager or whatever, these are the people who end up buying their own house and having a family and a 401k.

But 30 year olds who still think they're going to be a famous rapper or whatever, they end up living with their parents forever and never actually growing up and becoming independent.

How old were you when you gave up your childish dream and accepted a realistic future?
WTF are you talking about

I became a sherdogger.

I am living my dream and am grateful

In elementary school I wanted to rise through the ranks in the military to become a great general. I’d stare into space day dreaming about sending young impressionable men to their imminent death. But as I got older I learned to despise the military industrial complex. I realized how romanticized the military is in film and television and how war is literally hell on earth. That and I couldn’t get recruited because I have flat feet.

pattonsicily.jpg

Back