When did you give up on your childish career dream?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Kids always have these ideas that they're going to grow up to be a famous actor, or rapper, or I guess nowadays it's YouTuber or TikTokker.

I think the longer you cling to these ideas the less successful you'll be in life.

The people who accept the fact that they're going to be a software engineer or warehouse manager or whatever, these are the people who end up buying their own house and having a family and a 401k.

But 30 year olds who still think they're going to be a famous rapper or whatever, they end up living with their parents forever and never actually growing up and becoming independent.

How old were you when you gave up your childish dream and accepted a realistic future?

I spose I made a career out of my dream as a photographer but it wasn't something I wanted to do before probably my late 20's, younger me wanted to be a volcanologist.

That was somewhat of a calculated choice though rather than simply dreams of success and riches, aiming at selling local landscape shots rather than being in famous galleries and knowing I have the kind of personality to stick with something obsessionaly. My main weakness was always organisation, hitting some kind of block to doing work in academia and procrastinating were as with photography it was all on me, at least in terms of creating the pictures.

Its the kind of thing people love to put down to a "natural gift" but really it was just spending 3-4 hours a day on it every day for several years until I got reasonably good, nothing exceptional but good enough that people were willing to pay £50-100 for my work.

Last edited:
I always wanted to be a vagina-cologist growing up, but IT sort've fell in my lap, thanks.
HOT-CAMERON.jpg

Last edited:
When my parents got divorced, i was 9. I changed alot and the future was no longer certain. I didn't change ideas of where I was headed or anything I just became angry and lost and kind of forgot my childhood dreams.

Edit. That sounds really sad when I reread it. My life is fantastic. I'm an American man with a beautiful family and I'm not stuck inside all day. It worked out

Kids always have these ideas that they're going to grow up to be a famous actor, or rapper, or I guess nowadays it's YouTuber or TikTokker.

I think the longer you cling to these ideas the less successful you'll be in life.

The people who accept the fact that they're going to be a software engineer or warehouse manager or whatever, these are the people who end up buying their own house and having a family and a 401k.

But 30 year olds who still think they're going to be a famous rapper or whatever, they end up living with their parents forever and never actually growing up and becoming independent.

How old were you when you gave up your childish dream and accepted a realistic future?
My childish dream was to be a paleonthologist, and I gave it up around 11-12 years old when I found out how much scientists in general and paleonthologists specifically make.

When reality set in and your delusional expectations just can't be met. You have to look for realistic possibilities. This idea that is spouted to you when your young, the idea of anything is possible. Is bullshit.

As a little kid I loved Top Gun and I wanted to fly Tomcats for the US Air Force. But that dream didn't last because I learnt you couldn't be a fighter pilot with short sightedness. Also I was British so I couldn't join the US Air Force, and the Royal Air Force didn't have Tomcats so I wasn't interested. So I wound up in volleyball instead

I always wanted to be a pilot. At the age of 17 I took the test in the Dutch air force but I was only allowed to start training to become an air traffic controller. I didn't do that and I never thought about becoming a pilot again.

Once I entered University and realized that I didn't have the drive or discipline to go through with all the years of school required.

I stopped playing in bands hoping to make it a living at 29 however, I maintained my career in publishing the whole time so when I stopped playing music, I had a career still. I ended up leaving that world to open my own business which gave me the skills necessary to do what I do now.

I wanted to be the guy driving the backhoe in my childhood.

Still not doing it, but the dream never died....

If you give up on your dream of becoming a rapper in your thirties you weren't built for this

I gave up on my dream of playing pro ball at 15 when I realised I was an average player. Solid at rebounding and D but that was about it.

When reality set in and your delusional expectations just can't be met. You have to look for realistic possibilities. This idea that is spouted to you when your young, the idea of anything is possible. Is bullshit.
Yeah. But anyone who wants to genuinely become like a doctor or something should be able to. Back in the day, I think they use to give student loans to anyone…until shitty people abused it to high hell.

I wanted to be a scientist when I was young. Do research, make discoveries, help the world become a better place and all that.

Then I got to middle school, and school was really starting to suck and get boring. That's also when I learned I needed a PhD or at least a Master's so I'd also be in school till I'm like 25 at the soonest. Did the math and was like "fuck that shit, I'm not going through 12 more years of this hell just to be a scientist, hell no!!"

Back