When did you give up on your childish career dream?

I used to love shooting hoops in my front of my house. My dreams were dashed when I played against black folks in school. lol I never learned how to dribble properly. This kid styled on me so hard. It's not too bad though. He later had a scholarship to play ball at a big school but he messed it up by punching a teacher or something. I remember reading a small article about him in the local paper.

Edit: I actually just looked him up. He never made it to the NBA. He played ball in Europe instead.

Are you from Toronto? I think I know who you are talking about. Punching the teacher isn't what derailed his NBA career.

Well, mine wasn't really a childish one so I still try to chase it but there are obvious drawbacks unfortunately.

Up until around 17 or so, I was a (sorry to blow my own trumpet) really fucking good footballer, a goalkeeper. Got scouted by several Premier League and Championship teams around the age of 16, but was always turned down for not being tall enough. I sort of shifted positions a little and played left-back a bit too. Anyway, I went to University and decided to reignite my football dreams and give it one final shot. Went to trials and it was eye-opening. I was used to playing for my county / district and the best of the best down there, but now I was training with guys from all over the world. Not just Brits, but Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, African lads. I realised that day I would barely make the second team and that was the last time I ever played football seriously.

When I was 10 and was told by the career advisor that I was too tall to be a fighter pilot.

When I was a teenager I want to become a scientist. Unfortunately science didn't interest me, and I wasn't as smart as I thought I was.

In my late teens I wanted to become a boxer or mma fighter. Unfortunately after training in a gym a few times I found out that I wasn't a good fighter.

As an adult my fantasy is becoming a super hero.

The only realistic dreams kids have are: 1) Being an astronaut 2) Being a professional athlete 3) Being a famous actor

1 - Is unrealistic, only a handful of humans have ever/ will ever have gone into space.

2 - It's a combination of a genetic fluke, getting into it early, and practicing like hell! (Unless you are a woman wanting to go into women's MMA). Even with those, one would be lucky if they're competing in college level or semi-pros... you'd still have to be better than 99% of the general population.

3 - Again, if you don't get in through nepotism - it takes a lot of talent (in most cases), or abnormally good looks, and a lot... A LOT of luck! Even then, show business is fickle and the fame may not sustain... How many people would recognize the girl who played Judie Winslow (Jamiee Foxworth) if you saw her walking in the mall?

Other than those, in my opinion. Nothing is insurmountable - barring any physical or mental disabilities that would disqualify you from a particular job.

Kids always have these ideas that they're going to grow up to be a famous actor, or rapper, or I guess nowadays it's YouTuber or TikTokker.

I think the longer you cling to these ideas the less successful you'll be in life.

The people who accept the fact that they're going to be a software engineer or warehouse manager or whatever, these are the people who end up buying their own house and having a family and a 401k.

But 30 year olds who still think they're going to be a famous rapper or whatever, they end up living with their parents forever and never actually growing up and becoming independent.

How old were you when you gave up your childish dream and accepted a realistic future?
My childish career dream was to play with computers from home, in my shorts, and get paid. I'm living it.

Back