When Brock Lesnar first came to the UFC, did he impress you?

He was good for a while. Unfortunately he was old when he started and had health problems.

If he had been accustomed to getting hit, it would've been tough to knock him out. But he panicked each time that he got hit.

How could he not impress you? Yes he got rushed to a title fight, but he hardly had any training and beat some great fighters. He may not ever have been the best HW in the world and his fans were idiots, but what he did with such a short amount of time training was impressive

I mean...he beat a Heath Herring who never fought again, the rematch against Mir, and a 46 year-old 60+ pound disadvantage Couture. That's not exactly a murderer's row for a massive athletic freak with a legit amateur wrestling background and 0 fight mileage on him.

I guess the Carwin win was impressive, but we've seen fights stopped for much less than that 1st round.

What's funny?

giphy.gif

Brock was a roided flash in the pan.

A short, unexceptional and ultimately irrelevant career.

He was good for a while. Unfortunately he was old when he started and had health problems.

If he had been accustomed to getting hit, it would've been tough to knock him out. But he panicked each time that he got hit.

A while being two fights?

Because that is exactly how long Brock looked good for.

How could he not impress you? Yes he got rushed to a title fight, but he hardly had any training and beat some great fighters. He may not ever have been the best HW in the world and his fans were idiots, but what he did with such a short amount of time training was impressive

agreed and he had his first UFC fight at 30 yrs old Vs Frank Mir who was still snapping peoples bones. super impressive!

If he would have started in his mid 20's and learned how to react when getting hit i think he would have been an absolute monster. he had a great chin.

Was obvious he was on the juice so no
So was everyone. You could juice all your life and still never make it. Steroids help, but they don't just make you a great fighter

He performed as well as I figured he would. Generally terrible with glimpses of incredible athleticism for a man of his size. Won some fights based sheerly on size.

Deserves respect for weathering the Carwin beatdown coming back and choking him out. Most impressive performance by a mile.

A while being two fights?

Because that is exactly how long Brock looked good for.

If you don't think a guy with only a couple years training beating Randy, Mir, Herring and Carwin didn't look good beating those guys then you are crazy. It may not be "looking good" for someone like Fedor who has been training forever, but considering how little training Brock had, it was very impressive

If you don't think a guy with only a couple years training beating Randy, Mir, Herring and Carwin didn't look good beating those guys then you are crazy. It may not be "looking good" for someone like Fedor who has been training forever, but considering how little training Brock had, it was very impressive

Brock was a wrestler all his life.
At a higher level than Carwin.

And he looked like shit in that fight.

He looked good for a grand total streak of TWO fights. One with Mir (fine performance, good opponent for the time) and old man Couture who he outweighed by 500 pounds.

Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig.

EDIT: You are right, I forgot Herring. Ass end of his career, but still fine win for Brock at the time.

Ok so a streak of 3 wins.

Yes, I saw him fight against Kim and he beat him easily and quickly, but it was not a big test, so when he came to UFC I was still dubious, but his first fight he beat the shit out of Mir, I know it only lasted a few minutes but he was dominating easily and that stupid moron ref Steve Mazzagatti stopped the fight when Brock was hitting Mir, saying that Brock was hitting the back off the head, which was such a BS call. I could see Brock would be dangerous for anyone.

Then he beat Herring to near death, then stopped Couture, then beat Mir to death in the rematch, but then he had that huge stomach illness where he had to have surgery, it took a lot out of him and he nearly died. Came back and beat Carwin, showed huge heart in it and never ever quit, then tapped Carwin out. He then was dominating Cain, if you actually watch that fight Brock was winning, took Cain down twice, but then Cain caufght him with a good right and then Brock went spinning. But this was all post the surgery.

I still thought if Brock comes back he can beat a lot of the UFC HW's, a lot of them are awful. when I was watching Stipe vs Ngannou, I kept thinking if that was Brock on top then the fight would have been over ages ago and no decision, Ngannou had no clue what to do on the ground and he was doing everything wrong, you could see how raw and amateurish he was in the wrestling, Brock would have smashed his face though the mat that night I believe.
Though I believe Ngannou is a bad matchup for Brock (Stipe had to outbox Ngannou before using his wrestling), Brock is still a top 10 if not top 5 guy.

Off the top of my head, the only guys I have beating him for sure are Stipe, DC, Ngannou, Blaydes and JDS. Reem is 50/50 since he's no longer UberReem. Outside of that we have the Shamil Abdurakhimovs and Tuivasas of the world.

Brock couldn't get any credit from anyone when he started out. Every fight he was going to get "exposed". In reality he did more with less experience than almost anyone I can think of in this sport. Weidman and Ronda are probably the only ones close.

Brock was a wrestler all his life.
At a higher level than Carwin.

And he looked like shit in that fight.

He looked good for a grand total streak of TWO fights. One with Mir (fine performance, good opponent for the time) and old man Couture who he outweighed by 500 pounds.

Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig.

EDIT: You are right, I forgot Herring. Ass end of his career, but still fine win for Brock at the time.

Ok so a streak of 3 wins.

Brock was a WRESTLER, not an MMA fighter. He trained MMA for only a few years. Its just pure hate to say what he did was not impressive. Tony gets his ass beat in half his fights but gets praised for battling through and getting the win. Same with Big Nog. But when Brock takes a beating and comes back to win he doesn't look good? I am not even a Brock fan. I always cheered against him. But you downplaying how impressive what he did was makes you look retarded

Brock was a WRESTLER, not an MMA fighter. He trained MMA for only a few years. Its just pure hate to say what he did was not impressive. Tony gets his ass beat in half his fights but gets praised for battling through and getting the win. Same with Big Nog. But when Brock takes a beating and comes back to win he doesn't look good? I am not even a Brock fan. I always cheered against him. But you downplaying how impressive what he did was makes you look retarded

Would Brock have a single win if he was not as big/massively roided as he is?

Would Brock have a single win if he was not as big/massively roided as he is?

Its HW. Being massive works against you more then for you. Thats why all the best HWs ever are around 230LB -240LB and not guys like Bob Sapp

are you retarded? can you point to where in the fight this blatant cheating that influenced the fight occurred? i mean, it's not like there's a video record of it. you can pretend you can just say it and it can't be verified.

lol at cover it up. holy fuck.

tell us where this happened in the fight. and whether you honestly believe it could be an explanation for the beatdown that brock put on heath. don't embarrass yourself further.

Are you? I think severe mental deficiency would be more likely in someone that can't understand when someone else is just taking the piss. I suppose you missed the classic Sherdog references and overuse of bad nicknames. Have a beer or soda if you're too young and relax.

Besides, why would Rogaine say he couldn't understand what Herring was saying when it was crystal clear? If you can't answer that, then it's better for you to stop replying to lessen the chance of giving yourself a stroke.

Its HW. Being massive works against you more then for you. Thats why all the best HWs ever are around 230LB -240LB and not guys like Bob Sapp

In Brock's case it clearly didn't though.

Do you honestly see his skill set working if he was not massive and clearly massively juicy (even beyond normal MMA roiding) ?

Also Bob Sapp is a terrible example, he shocked Hoost exactly because he was enormous.

Brock was Khabib before Khabib was Khabib. You knew he was going to take you down. But you couldn't do anything about it. Once he got you down it was 280lb smashing your face. Not a lot of MMA skills. But he had good wrestling. ANd of course, if he traps your arms, like Mir, it was good smeshing.

Sure, if Khabib had a win streak of 3 guys and outwrighed his opponents massively and was roided to the gills.

Brock isn't shit compared to Khabib.

Not the first wrestler to come into MMA.

Coleman was a far more accomplished wrestler than Bork.

Back