When Brock Lesnar first came to the UFC, did he impress you?

Are you? I think severe mental deficiency would be more likely in someone that can't understand when someone else is just taking the piss. I suppose you missed the classic Sherdog references and overuse of bad nicknames. Have a beer or soda if you're too young and relax.

Besides, why would Rogaine say he couldn't understand what Herring was saying when it was crystal clear? If you can't answer that, then it's better for you to stop replying to lessen the chance of giving yourself a stroke.
Retard, where in the fight did lesnar land fight changing illegal back of the head strikes. If you can’t answer that just stfu already. It’s pathetic. It’s an embarrassing angle to try to play.

If you can’t point to where this happened it didn’t happen. There’s video in case you’re not aware. We can actually check.

Your pathetic argument is that Rogan not mentioning it is evidence that it actually happened. Lol.

There are hundreds of MMA fighters who were good for that few fights.

maybe I am exaggerating, but not by a lot.
Name 5 who beat the same caliber fighters with such little experience.

Name 5 who beat the same caliber fighters with such little experience.

Name 5 dudes who are Brock lesnars Size. Get over it dude, he is a fucking joke and people are over impressed by a giant fucking guy who cant win if he cant get on top of you. It sucks, but its life - he was a huge fucking joke.

Name 5 dudes who are Brock lesnars Size. Get over it dude, he is a fucking joke and people are over impressed by a giant fucking guy who cant win if he cant get on top of you. It sucks, but its life - he was a huge fucking joke.
You’re posting about the guy 9 years after you created a gimmick account dedicated to the guy and he’s the joke? Lol.

He was a national champion and a 2 time defending mma hw champ and some gimmick troll thinks he’s a joke. Get some self awareness.

it's a disservice though to compare him to other wwe wrestlers. he's a legitimate D1 national champion hw wrestler.
i'm sure Brock is not the only one that has a wrestling background aside from sports entertainment. maybe not national champ. But like i said even before brock, wondered how some of these guys would do in MMA. Brock is most likely the best example
he didn't turtle against overeem. he folded from a liver kick, like anyone else would.

against cain, he turtled from a beating, not because he went into turtle position preemptively. he was beaten down.
yeah that's right..Uberknee would have killed anyone..an d Cain even though he lost to JDS after he battered him twice after and Bigfoot.

Ok so I know Brock's seen as a pretty legit dude anyway but anyone coming from WWE they're always going to have that stigma about them or people being sceptical at least which I understand completely.

Of course CM Punk didn't really impress but props to him for getting inside the cage and giving it a go, however Brock obviously did much better so when you look back at his first impression in the Octagon for you did he do better than you expected or was it no surprise to you?

I'm no WWE fan by any means but I know they do have a lot of legit talent there, Wade Barrett was a bare knuckle fighter previously so he has some fundamentals at least also if he wanted to train for a career instead of WWE back then but how did you feel about Brock and his time in the octagon?

I'd be interested to hear this as obviously I wasn't on the forum at the time so I have no idea how his fared up in regards to people's expectations.
Yeah, when he battered Mir before making a tactical error and getting caught then broke Herrings face in his second fight before winning the belt and avenging the loss to Mir.

I'm in the unpopular group that believes almost dying from the diverticulitis thing had a drastic effect on his career and we never saw the same Brock again after that.

Regardless though to say a guy who decided one day he wanted to fight MMA and became the UFC champion within 4 career fights wasn't impressive is disingenuous in my opinion and just biased by him being from the WWE and a "fake fighter" finding success so easily is hard to except for some.

nah.. Mir took him early.

Brock is hige but not cold blooded killer

I think it was a revolution.
We had the 2000's era with HW's that were lighter in Pride and suddenly, a supersized HW comes in the game and we got to see some huge guys who had some actual skills.

Mir transformed himself into a monster, Carwin was huge, Brock was huge.

I had the feeling the HW division was changing and we could see that since then the average HW is 10 kg's heavier than in the 2000's.

If you look at it, in the 2000's you had Igor Vovchanchyn, a 5"6 man, at HW

How could you not be impressed with his debut? Moved well for a man of such size, despite his limited MMA training he clearly had transferable skills from his amateur wrestling days, was taking on a former champion in Frank Mir in his UFC debut & only his second MMA fight. He was on the verge of winning the fight by brutal ground & pound until the ref's BS call. Then he made a mistake & got tapped. Not going to pretend I saw him as a future champion, but it was obvious he could hang in the UFC.

It's easy to dismiss his achievements but no matter how much he was rushed through the ranks he still beat Herring, Randy, Mir & Carwin. He's not the best to do it & I'm still not convinced that if he'd have put more time into the sport he'd have had any better of a career but he still won & defended the belt yet there are idiots in this thread claiming he's not a fighter.

He's a hard hitting giant with a reach that can hit you across the room that has incredible wrestling.

Just not great at taking a hit.

HW was not a weak division at the time of Lesnar. Especially if you looked across the entirety of the organizations at that time.

Why in the fuck would I be talking about any HW division besides the one Brock was fighting in, which was the UFC. Dumbass.

His performance against Carwin was embarrassing

Your post is embarrassing. Some random neckbeard who never ran a mile in his life criticizing a guy who had the balls to jump into MMA and actually became a world champ. Typical Sherdog.

Yeah, when he battered Mir before making a tactical error and getting caught then broke Herrings face in his second fight before winning the belt and avenging the loss to Mir.

I'm in the unpopular group that believes almost dying from the diverticulitis thing had a drastic effect on his career and we never saw the same Brock again after that.

Regardless though to say a guy who decided one day he wanted to fight MMA and became the UFC champion within 4 career fights wasn't impressive is disingenuous in my opinion and just biased by him being from the WWE and a "fake fighter" finding success so easily is hard to except for some.

Yeah, the thing is about the WWE too (and I'm no fan of WWE by the way) but they don't get the credit they deserve, sure it's pre determined and all that, gimmicked, not really hitting each other etc.. it's entertainment but what those guys put them through pretty much all year round is tough, their bodies get beaten up badly and they bump like crazy, slamming themselves on to thousands of thumb tacks at times, they really put themselves through it however of course as we've seen that doesn't mean they can cut it in the UFC, CM Punk for example (though fair play to him for giving it a shot).

But a lot of them are legit athletes too with legit backgrounds, Jack Swagger recently in Bellator has an olympic wrestling background I believe, Wade Barrett (who's no longer in the WWE) was a legit bare knuckle fighter before hand so a lot of them do have legit backgrounds in things too and shouldn't be written off just because they came from WWE.

I think you pretty much nailed it :)

I'll go with with GSP on Lesnar's performance. Not impressed.

I knew he was a NCAA wrestling champ and with his size and speed along with stero.....he kinda did what I expected him to do

Yes, I saw him fight against Kim and he beat him easily and quickly, but it was not a big test, so when he came to UFC I was still dubious, but his first fight he beat the shit out of Mir, I know it only lasted a few minutes but he was dominating easily and that stupid moron ref Steve Mazzagatti stopped the fight when Brock was hitting Mir, saying that Brock was hitting the back off the head, which was such a BS call. I could see Brock would be dangerous for anyone.

Then he beat Herring to near death, then stopped Couture, then beat Mir to death in the rematch, but then he had that huge stomach illness where he had to have surgery, it took a lot out of him and he nearly died. Came back and beat Carwin, showed huge heart in it and never ever quit, then tapped Carwin out. He then was dominating Cain, if you actually watch that fight Brock was winning, took Cain down twice, but then Cain caufght him with a good right and then Brock went spinning. But this was all post the surgery.

I still thought if Brock comes back he can beat a lot of the UFC HW's, a lot of them are awful. when I was watching Stipe vs Ngannou, I kept thinking if that was Brock on top then the fight would have been over ages ago and no decision, Ngannou had no clue what to do on the ground and he was doing everything wrong, you could see how raw and amateurish he was in the wrestling, Brock would have smashed his face though the mat that night I believe.

Ya know, just to humor you a bit, because what i remember of brock vs cain was a pretty one sided ass raping delivered by cain. anyway, i went and watched that fight again, just 'cause its been so long, unfortunately, it was still an ass raping. And i definitely remember the carwin fight... flukeyest win of brocks career. Guy probably sets off air port detectors from all the horse shoes up his ass. And as for the overeem fight... ya know, i'll just leave it at that.

Yes. Been watching MMA since 2001 & pro wrestling even longer. I knew how talented physically Lesnar was. Huge fan.

Saw him fight live 2 times.
UFC 100 - got to see him smash Mir from 2nd row listening to the horror when he landed those short uppercuts.
UFC 121 - Cheering for Lesnar in Anaheim until he lost to Cain & getting absolutely trashed by Mexican fans all the way into the parking lot home. Fun times.

Fuck yeah he did, there’s a reason Mazzagatti ain’t reffing no more.

One issue of course is that Lesnar wasn't as green as a lot of the hype made him, he'd been training MMA full time since what early 2006 at least? sitting on his WWE money he didn't need to take smaller matches although in retrospect might have been better off doing so.

Why in the fuck would I be talking about any HW division besides the one Brock was fighting in, which was the UFC. Dumbass.

Your post is embarrassing. Some random neckbeard who never ran a mile in his life criticizing a guy who had the balls to jump into MMA and actually became a world champ. Typical Sherdog.

Lesnar's era of HW in the UFC was the deepest it ever was to that point. Cain, JDS, Carwin, Lesnar, Mir, Nog, Couture. It was literally a division of champions. The only point you could argue it was immediatly deeper was after the SF acquisition.

Sounds like you're the one who's clueless, dumbass.

Back