What is the most ridiculous martial art?

That funny. At the gym today there some guys doing it outside.

I know a couple of people who do it, but they do it as a dance/for cardio more than as a martial art.

I agree that if you were thinking it'd be good for ass-kicking, you'd be delusional. But for a dance style it's pretty cool.

You might want to think again:

Now I'm not saying that it's the most efficient Martial Art or anything but it's an exaggeration to say it is useless. African slaves in Brazil performed it like a dance to deceive people into thinking it was just a dance when it was really more like a sparring session and then used it for real in slave revolts. It became illegal to practice Capoeira in Brazil because people were kicking ass with it for real.

Most of the Brazilian people I knew who practiced capoeira, were doing it as a method of working out/staying in shape, getting in touch with their country's history, having fun, etc.

I can only recall a few of them who would have viewed themselves as fighters.

Most of the Brazilian people I knew who practiced capoeira, were doing it as a method of working out/staying in shape, getting in touch with their country's history, having fun, etc.

I can only recall a few of them who would have viewed themselves as fighters.

Most people who take Martial Arts in general don't view themselves as fighters but as people enjoying a discipline that if need be they could use as self-defense.

It must be remembered that most Martial Arts derive from military training and were taught to ancient warriors with the intent to be used in battle. As they become more popular it became more common for civilians to learn them as self-defense and fighters to use them in organized combat sports.

I don't see much of capoeira at all in Australia, but I was walking through the city the other day and I saw two dudes doing some dancing martial art style. Looked closer they had the ropes that you see in capoeira around their waist. Pretty interesting martial art, would definitely try it out for fun some time if I could.

Now I'm not saying that it's the most efficient Martial Art or anything but it's an exaggeration to say it is useless. African slaves in Brazil performed it like a dance to deceive people into thinking it was just a dance when it was really more like a sparring session and then used it for real in slave revolts. It became illegal to practice Capoeira in Brazil because people were kicking ass with it for real.

I don't like this match.
The guy 's style is capoera regional, more suitable for dancing.
Capoera angola, with his tricks and deceptive moves would be a good add in the arsenal of a figher.

Hard style Tai Chi who think they are actually capable of having it

I don't like this match.
The guy 's style is capoera regional, more suitable for dancing.
Capoera angola, with his tricks and deceptive moves would be a good add in the arsenal of a figher.

Meh, yes and no. Angola also has a lot of super slow, low to the ground moves that aren't so useful in a real fight. As someone who studied the art for almost two years, there are still some mah-ginga (fakeouts/trickery) that i still use now that i've gotten back into kickboxing. Rasteira (foot sweeps) come in very handy too. Plus it'll improve your coordination, balance, agility and strength like no other, and is super fun.

I've met some capoeirista's that i would never want to fuck with for real. (Unless i could take them down. ) To an extent its the practitioner and not the art. I actually used to get more injured in capoeira than i do in sanshou sparring today. Bloody noses, fat lips, bruised ribs, etc. My instructor would fuck me up with sneaky headbutts and elbows out of nowhere when you thought he was playing around. I've also been nearly knocked out and kicked (literally, lol) out of a rhoda before.

Keep in mind Anderson Silva still studies capoeira. Most practical art for a profesional fighter? No, but not useless.

People love to post that video, but I'm compelled to point out that the dude performing the double-spinning handplanting hook kick is 1-2, and the poor guy he KO's was 0-2 before he died tragically in a parking lot.

My point is, a wildly impractical move may work on a very bad opponent.

If some dude's just going to stand there with his hands down I could pop a hurricanrana on him Eddie Guerrero style, doesn't mean Mexican Pro-Wrestling is much good in MMA.

LOL. That's a good point. While the kick was a decent one he landed it on someone who was shit. Trying that on anyone better skilled (than yourself) and you'll be on your ass or worse.

Then again you've also got guys like Saenchai doing cartwheel kicks soooo....

People love to post that video, but I'm compelled to point out that the dude performing the double-spinning handplanting hook kick is 1-2, and the poor guy he KO's was 0-2 before he died tragically in a parking lot.

My point is, a wildly impractical move may work on a very bad opponent.

If some dude's just going to stand there with his hands down I could pop a hurricanrana on him Eddie Guerrero style, doesn't mean Mexican Pro-Wrestling is much good in MMA.

I wouldn't say that Capoeira is great for MMA but I also wouldn't call the move wildly impractical. The point is that it isn't useless or ridiculous.

Now throwing invisible chi balls at someone? That is completely useless.

You're missing the best Yellow Bamboo video:

YouTube - Yellow Bamboo vs reality

I have to admit that this is the first time that I have heard about Yellow Bamboo, and it seems like a pretty clear cut winner. It does seem to have its good points, and its bad points, though.

Good Point - Very little financial expendature up front for gear and equipment.

Bad Point - It completely does not work! :icon_lol:

It never ceases to amaze me, what people can be conned into.

:icon_chee

I have to admit that this is the first time that I have heard about Yellow Bamboo, and it seems like a pretty clear cut winner. It does seem to have its good points, and its bad points, though.

Good Point - Very little financial expendature up front for gear and equipment.

Bad Point - It completely does not work! :icon_lol:

It never ceases to amaze me, what people can be conned into.

:icon_chee

what he said

Look, Capoeira clearly isn't the most ridiculous martial art (as long as Yellow Bamboo still exists), but can we stop posting the same ONE knockout to prove that it's efficient?

Look, Capoeira clearly isn't the most ridiculous martial art (as long as Yellow Bamboo still exists), but can we stop posting the same ONE knockout to prove that it's efficient?

This, seriously.

I wouldn't say that Capoeira is great for MMA but I also wouldn't call the move wildly impractical. The point is that it isn't useless or ridiculous.

Now throwing invisible chi balls at someone? That is completely useless.

Calling a double spinning handplanting hook kick isn't impractical or ridiculous? The move is silly. The handplanting part makes the kick weaker and more telegraphed, and spinning twice is only something you can do if you're confident your opponent will not attack. To open a bout with that move is retarded because you've set no precedent as to how much respect your opponent has for your attack.

A regular spinning **** kick, (which is more powerful and safer than a handplanting one), is already a high risk move. Adding unnecessary movement to an already risky technique takes it into zany blooper reel territory.

Now Capoeira may not be as stupid as obviously fake martial arts, but so much of the art is composed of unnecessary and detrimental movement that it's difficult to see much practical value.

Calling a double spinning handplanting hook kick isn't impractical or ridiculous? The move is silly. The handplanting part makes the kick weaker and more telegraphed, and spinning twice is only something you can do if you're confident your opponent will not attack. To open a bout with that move is retarded because you've set no precedent as to how much respect your opponent has for your attack.

A regular spinning **** kick, (which is more powerful and safer than a handplanting one), is already a high risk move. Adding unnecessary movement to an already risky technique takes it into zany blooper reel territory.

Now Capoeira may not be as stupid as obviously fake martial arts, but so much of the art is composed of unnecessary and detrimental movement that it's difficult to see much practical value.

It doesn't make the kick any weaker. You don't stop the rotation with the hand thats on the ground, it's just touches briefly for balance. The mechanics are different, but whipping your upper body towards the ground like that produced just as much force as a regular spinning hook, at least in my experience. I had done TKD and kickboxing before getting into Capoeira so i have plenty of experience with spin kicks.

It's obviously more telegraphed, but in Capoeira it's also used to duck a kick and counter at the same time. Since you're already low to the ground it's easy to transfer from it into another evasive movement or vice versa. It's a very versatile weapon in capoeira, but as you say pointless to try under different rules.

What about those guys who are similar to Yellow bamboo but claim Aliens taught them their shit and taht they harness some secret alien chi shit? I read about it on Bullshido once, and their website is even shitter than the yellow idiots!

It doesn't make the kick any weaker. You don't stop the rotation with the hand thats on the ground, it's just touches briefly for balance. The mechanics are different, but whipping your upper body towards the ground like that produced just as much force as a regular spinning hook, at least in my experience. I had done TKD and kickboxing before getting into Capoeira so i have plenty of experience with spin kicks.

It's obviously more telegraphed, but in Capoeira it's also used to duck a kick and counter at the same time. Since you're already low to the ground it's easy to transfer from it into another evasive movement or vice versa. It's a very versatile weapon in capoeira, but as you say pointless to try under different rules.

Yes I am aware of the momentum generated by whipping your upper body around. It's a fun kick to throw, but the further you lean away from the kick the less leverage you have behind it.

I suppose it could be used to counter a high kick in MMA. Bruce Lee liked to throw the ducking spinning hook kick as a high kick counter in movies, but it's a risky move.

Gotta be kung fu with their ridiculous hand bicycle punches and all

Back