What happened to Tyrone Spong after he was caught doping in boxing?

Broadcast

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After twice testing positive for trace amounts of the banned substance Clomiphene, Spong (14-0, 13KOs) produced a clean sample from an Oct. 2 test conducted by Voluntary Anti-Doping Agency (VADA).

The same agency notified the Suriname-bred, Miami-based heavyweight of adverse findings from tested samples on Sept. 22 and Sept. 26 via official letters, each of which BoxingScene.com has obtained a copy.

A separate test administered on September 16 by a testing agency contracted through the Illinois State Athletic Commission also showed Spong testing negative for all banned substances, along with posting normal testosterone levels.

“Just received word from VADA that my 3rd and last urine sample taken on Oct. 2 was NEGATIVE for all prohibited,” Spong stated through social media on Friday. “As I’ve said all along, I’m a clean fighter and the previous results were manipulated. Who is responsible for this?”

The substance discovered in the Sept. 22 and Sept. 26 testing samples is best known as a fertility drug, while Clomiphene usage among men is to boost testosterone levels. Medical data suggests that it takes anywhere from one to three months for Clomiphene to exit a person’s system in full.

Because VADA testing comes with a zero-tolerance policy—with the clear disclaimer that athletes ate 100% responsible for what enters their system—the results cost Spong a fight date with 2018 Fighter of the Year and former World cruiserweight champion Oleksandr Usyk, with the two originally scheduled to meet this Saturday in Chicago, Illinois.

Boxing Scene

So basically Spong was taking medication used to treat infertility in women who do not ovulate. Was caught 2 times in 5 days! Negative 3rd time, but at 11 days (!).

Information about Clomiphene as doping:

Abuse
Clomiphene is a doping substance according to the Penal Code. Particularly men, who use anabolic steroids, commonly use clomiphene or other anti-estrogens (for example, tamoxifen) as an accompanying drug.

The purpose of clomiphene, in this case, is to inhibit the estrogen problems caused by the overdosed anabolic steroids, that appear when anabolic steroids convert in the body to estrogens or other metabolic products that have estrogenic effetcs. These problems, in men, include the over-growth of breasts (gynecomastia) and blood coagulation disturbances.

Even though clomiphene accelerates testosterone secretion, its muscle growth increasing effect is insignificant in practice. It should also be noted that with large doses, clomiphene changes from anti-estrogen to estrogen. Small doses of block estrogen receptors, but large doses of stimulate them. Because of that, clomiphene is not used in large doses.

Wow, I didn’t even know about this. Long time fan, kind of disappointed.

For him I think even better: had not been used to pad Usyk record for tea Money.
---

I was sure about it. I was sure not many know. What sucks is that he probably didn"t start with doping in boxing. And he"s so naive, in boxing in America you get caught the most. But he can defend himself!!

Spong says 2 samples were manipulated, but if there was nothing in the food... He simply must bring evidence, otherwise he"s doomed! It"s easy to prove the food was contamined.

Last edited:
Did you not think it was a little strange that a super middleweight jumped up to super heavyweight? Horse meat tends to be envolved.

Did you not think it was a little strange that a super middleweight jumped up to super heavyweight? Horse meat tends to be envolved.
Strange to end up like this, only fighting bums in boxing. Would have been anyway "meat" for Usyk. Living in Miami, Florida, not getting any good purse!

He earned in kickboxing, but not that much.

I really wonder if he was a full time boxer, maybe he also worked as a bodyguard or something. Or something else..

Strange to end up like this, only fighting bums in boxing. Would have been anyway "meat" for Usyk. Living in Miami, Florida, not getting any good purse!

He earned in kickboxing, but not that much.

I really wonder if he was a full time boxer, maybe he also worked as a bodyguard or something. Or something else..
Not sure, he must have a secondary source of income.

He is 35 this year.

It appears that his boxing career hasn't paid off.

Will he go back to Glory?

Running a bit late for MMA return now.
He'll end up k.od like Saki and failing USADA.

For Glory he would be a nice addition, but do they have antidoping? 35 years old is not really that much if you still have the reflexes. There were champions in prime even at 37 years old. You can fight well even until 42, but the cases are rare.

Spong doesn"t look bad, old. But HOW ABOUT HIS LEG? Can he still fight on kickboxing/MMA rules?

He went from super middleweight to a jacked heavyweight. Fails the eye test, smell test and apparently the VADA test.

I enjoyed watching him fight but it was pretty clear he was juicing pretty hard.

And the cougar thing, what in the fuck??

He went from super middleweight to a jacked heavyweight. Fails the eye test, smell test and apparently the VADA test.

I enjoyed watching him fight but it was pretty clear he was juicing pretty hard.
He blew up while still in K-1, along with literally everyone else in the HW division, the same year Ubereem won the WGP. Are we going to pretend like Spong is an exception? Even old ass Aerts was huge and ripped. They were all doing it, and most likely a lot still today.

He blew up while still in K-1, along with literally everyone else in the HW division, the same year Ubereem won the WGP. Are we going to pretend like Spong is an exception? Even old ass Aerts was huge and ripped. They were all doing it, and most likely a lot still today.
Couldn't agree more. And I'm sad because I loved watching it.

I'm really not shocked by this. The guy used to be at like 70 kilos now he is built like a tank

his trajectory really got f'd up by the money drying up in GLORY and then breaking his leg sadly
the Usyk fight would've been a big get for him, he'd have gotten clowned on and destroyed, but he would've made more money there than he could've for any KB or MMA fight and maybe parlayed it into other good fights afterward

his trajectory really got f'd up by the money drying up in GLORY and then breaking his leg sadly
the Usyk fight would've been a big get for him, he'd have gotten clowned on and destroyed, but he would've made more money there than he could've for any KB or MMA fight and maybe parlayed it into other good fights afterward

He had a lot more to win than to lose against Usyk. One well placed punch can change everything at heavyweight and many boxers underestimate Spong. He'd have a much higher chance against Uzyk than for example McGregor vs Mayweather.

Even if he took a few rounds off of Usyk it would put his name out there similar to what Otto Walin did in his fight with Fury.

Even if he took a few rounds off of Usyk it would put his name out there similar to what Otto Walin did in his fight with Fury.
I agree with your idea but I'm not convinced he'd take anything other than a first round. A second round is a stretch to believe. Spong is no big HW and it wouldn't be much different from Usyk fighting a less agile (footwork wise) CW. I'd really expect Usyk to win every round.

I agree with your idea but I'm not convinced he'd take anything other than a first round. A second round is a stretch to believe. Spong is no big HW and it wouldn't be much different from Usyk fighting a less agile (footwork wise) CW. I'd really expect Usyk to win every round.
You never know, its easy to underestimate how much kickboxing helps in boxing, they understand the footwork and ringmanship perfectly. Check out Nieky Holzken's short notice fight against Callum Smith.

Back