What happened to Erick Silva?

He def looked slower and out of shape (fatter)

I'm curious to see if there's any post fight excuses or anything

Absolutely embarsssing showing by Silva tonight. Sloppy, gassed, showed no skill that he (kinda) had before this fight. Why I say kinda, if that he would show skill before he gasses 5 min into every fight. He has shown huge potential but constantly gets worse. I've been a huge Silva fan for a long time now, but as bad as he looked tonight, it could be due to the new drug policies... I really don't wanna say it, but it's how I feel. He just looks very different

I'm done with saying Erick has potential. Dude lost to Magny on 1 week notice

His body looked so soft during weigh ins. That's first time and tells something.

he is not good against fighters who are pretty skilled/ well rounded and have a lot of heart or a smothering / aggressive style. but his 4 ufc losses that count are to DHK (20-3 and only lost to Condit, Maia and Woodley all in the top 10 at least. Fitch (26-7only 2 ufc losses were to GSP/ Hendricks at the time), Matt Brown (20-13 but on a 6 fight win streak) and Magny (16-4 won 8 of past 9). He lost to some of the best in the division no question, I think the level of competition just went up and made him look avg.

He's never been that good. He's never had a win that deserves the type of hype he received. He will finish a can in his next fight and we will be right back to where we were before. That's the story of his career.

maybe it can be blamed on the 400 punches to the dome he took in the matt brown fight. he probably still has nightmares about that every night

He pretty much had same physical transformation like TRT Belfort to non-TRT Belfort. Also, he has always had potential but has never lived up to it. He's a good fighter but that's it.

maybe it can be blamed on the 400 punches to the dome he took in the matt brown fight. he probably still has nightmares about that every night

I think that may have something to do with it...

... but he looked VERY different physically... and there MUST be a reason for it. Changed a lot since July 1st, he did.

Too bad. I always thought he had potential. Crossing him off that list.

I would like to say that it wasn't his night, but hi last fights shows otherwise. He needs to work his cardio immediately. And Joe Silva could at least give him some easy fights for a change.

People have been talking about his cardio for years. If it hasn't gotten better by now, it's over, it won't be improving. Joe Silva has given him many easy fights... that's why people thought he was a contender in the past.

I doubt it's PEDs. People are saying things like Machida declined because he isn't on PEDs etc.

Fact is fighters randomly going up or down in ability has and will always be a part of combat sports.

With Silva's cardio I have to question his work ethic. I hear he gets (or got) paid very well be Brazilian fighters due to his good looks and marketability. Maybe he's lazy and is used to getting by on pure talent.

Things is he's 31. He looks so young people treat him like a prospect. But he's actually a veteran who may simply be on the downside of his career.

He's eaten some damage too so maybe it's just downhill for him now.

That's got to hurt for him. From an up and coming prospect that seemed to many people destined for big things to a veteran on the downside of his career with nothing in between. A sad career path.

Yeah, didnt look as ripped, or as fast, or as strong as he has in past fights.

Sounds an awful lot like what a couple fighters were saying would happen once the new drug testing started.

People were just blinded by his looks and the fact he looks 16 in the face. The truth is that he's 31 and was never that good.

Silva looked terrible last night. Slow, sloppy and ineffective with ridiculously low output.

Yeah, didnt look as ripped, or as fast, or as strong as he has in past fights.

Sounds an awful lot like what a couple fighters were saying would happen once the new drug testing started.

The UFC rankings will probably drastically change

Certain new testing policies...you'll notice more fighters will have the same problem in the future. "Where'd his muscle mass go? Why no more bulging veins? Why no longer explosive?"

Certain new testing policies...you'll notice more fighters will have the same problem in the future. "Where'd his muscle mass go? Why no more bulging veins? Why no longer explosive?"

I'm interested to see how this affects the fighters. I think some highly ranked fighters will fall in the rankings, and some fighters we didn't think much about will rise in the UFC rankings.

juice-cleanse.jpg

People were just blinded by his looks and the fact he looks 16 in the face. The truth is that he's 31 and was never that good.

Is 31 old for this sport or something? Last I checked Robbie Lawler is 33 and Trinaldo which is 37 opened a can of whoop ass on Laprise last night.

Back