What happened to Erick Silva?

It was a weird fight. Explosive Silva wasn't there. Instead we got patient Silva who didn't gas but wasn't effective either. And quite boring to be honest. I'd prefer he go back to his previous style. He's always been an entertaining guy, win or lose, until now.

he had an impressive debut against some dude

thats it

he looked like shit.

even in his losses he still looked impressive until getting caught. Against Fitch he still managed submission attempts and to drive a few off. I agree with the OP that last night was easily his worst showing. The way he was exploding with winging overhands way too far away was embarrassing.

You mean the WW Anderson Silva? The wheels fell off his wagon.

He looked awful. He was also riding on a big hype wave which was derailed. He seems like a mental midget who, if the fight doesn't go his way early, has trouble actually scrapping. Pretty boy syndrome.

Erick's a decent gatekeeper. But what about Magny? The UFC keeps giving me this guy and yeah It's free but he's...his style....he's just....I don't want to say exciting but he's not exciting I guess. that said I think he's legit good just got into a rolling match with a multiple time BJJ world champ in Maia and got tooled.

as Far as Silva I've never understood why guys like Him and Jake Ellenberger don't have great gas tanks their only job is to train, stay in shape and train. no way a 250 man in Cain Velasquez should have better cardio than Eric Silva. maybe it's the explosive Meso thing. maybe guys that are naturally "explosive like Silva and Ellenberger" cant develop great tanks.

I never forget when there was a guy who said that Erick Silva was on anabolic steroids and was cheating and he had 100% proof.. that was when Silva was on his win streak, and the guy got banned and the thread deleted.

I'm sorry but since the new drug testing his body looks a lot different, something very fishy going on with him.

yeah, like he was the only one, right

:rolleyes:

i had already exposed the problem in another thread, but it got deleted

Now why is this a persistent problem?? Its clearly his coaching staff and how the develop him. Unless he leaves his team and goes somewhere better, he's not going anywhere. This guy would be great at Kings or ATT or Blackzillians

perfect

he needs to GTFO of these horrible amateurish camp and trainers

kings ATT or blackzilians would be nice for him

but maybe hes too cocky for his own good

He looked physically soft and out of shape. Maybe his camp went haywire.

tumblr_lra413saPX1qedb29o1_500.gif

He was never that good. He should've tore through Fitch at that point in his career and instead he was crushed. Obviously he shows signs of brilliance but he can't put it all together and his cardio is horrifically bad.

I didn't see much difference other than his physical appearance. He paced himself better but Magny is just a better fighter. Silva has always had little boxing and sloppy tactics in the stand up.

When you're an aggressive fighter like that and you stop fighting balls to the wall, your lack of skills start to show. Magny's skill and range made it much worse, too.

I think people overestimated him from the start because of his good looks and how he demolished lesser opponents.

I think this nailed it, he got stepped up and hasn't handled it. No need to repeat the correct answer.

Erick's a decent gatekeeper. But what about Magny? The UFC keeps giving me this guy and yeah It's free but he's...his style....he's just....I don't want to say exciting but he's not exciting I guess. that said I think he's legit good just got into a rolling match with a multiple time BJJ world champ in Maia and got tooled.

as Far as Silva I've never understood why guys like Him and Jake Ellenberger don't have great gas tanks their only job is to train, stay in shape and train. no way a 250 man in Cain Velasquez should have better cardio than Eric Silva. maybe it's the explosive Meso thing. maybe guys that are naturally "explosive like Silva and Ellenberger" cant develop great tanks.

You are right, remember the muscle fibre type? Slow and fast twitch?
If you are predominantly fast twitch then you will look muscular (as it's the fast twitch muscles that hypertrophy) but your potential endurance capaballities just won't be the same as someone slow twitch predominant (like say Magny or Diaz).

There's also a third type which can go either way, with lucky fighters having a balanced muscle fibre ratio (think GSP or lesnar, explosive and capable of good endurance).

Most sports purely select for one type of athlete (NFL and sprinting are pretty much purely fast twitch, marathon is slow twitch predominant etc) but some cool sports like MMA are inclusive to all ratios (you just want a large, rugged frame and a shitload of natural test to go along with whatever your muscle fibre ratios are).

Another Brazilian looks extremely mediocre after PED testing is enforced.

9b3.png

I wish Erick was elite.... he looked like the most dangerous fighter at 170 when he first entered the UFC. Damn I was a huge fan and wanted him to succeed. After he fought fitch... it was all over. Now he losing to guys like Magny on 4 days training camp

Back