What happened to Erick Silva?

MachidaNo1Fan

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Absolutely embarsssing showing by Silva tonight. Sloppy, gassed, showed no skill that he (kinda) had before this fight. Why I say kinda, if that he would show skill before he gasses 5 min into every fight. He has shown huge potential but constantly gets worse. I've been a huge Silva fan for a long time now, but as bad as he looked tonight, it could be due to the new drug policies... I really don't wanna say it, but it's how I feel. He just looks very different

I'm done with saying Erick has potential. Dude lost to Magny on 1 week notice

I think people overestimated him from the start because of his good looks and how he demolished lesser opponents.

Jon Fitch erased his confidence and he realized he can't just blow his gas tank trying for a 1 minute Round 1 finish.

He's no longer on PEDs

hoo-ah.gif

I think people overestimated him from the start because of his good looks and how he demolished lesser opponents.

He was still pretty good. Tonight, he looked like a clown. Dude was embarsssing. Looked like his first fight ever. I've been a big fan but the dude didn't even have the strength to finish a sub in side control like he usually does. He gassed when they got there. Plus the random winging punches, no movement, getting taken down and mounted easily by someone like Magny? Suspicious as fuck. I'm not gonna say any more, I think the policies are making a lot of fighters look bad now

He always looks bad when not facing cans or fighters way past their peak.

I would like to say that it wasn't his night, but hi last fights shows otherwise. He needs to work his cardio immediately. And Joe Silva could at least give him some easy fights for a change.

Hard to say, his first 15 opponents were not very good so you can take those 12 wins for what you want. He's gotten a little older so with these past 4 years in the UFC who knows how his body handles full time training, or how much being knocked out twice effected him.

I think he was over-estimated from the start but a decent fighter, I also think his toughest 4 opponents were Fitch, Stun Gun, Magny and Brown - who coincidentally are 4 of the guys who have beaten him, Then you look at his win against Koscheck and realize Koscheck is on a 5 fight losing streak.

Testing has also changed, or maybe he just had a bad night

why did he stop taking peds in the first place did he pop?

I know people hate the word overrated on here, but he was most definitely massively overrated, based largely on a few flashy finishes over cans. I think his confidence has definitely taken a hit after some nasty beatdowns, but he always had major holes in his game and doesn't seem to be getting any better.

If something looks wrong, absolutely there is something wrong.
Erick Silva has the athleticism & looks but he lacks sound defense, stamina & the mind to be at the top. I don't question his heart but he really needs to look at his training camp & methods if he wants to improve. Black House is a camp that does not evolve & is behind the more prominent camps in the UFC. He should move from there.

I doubt it's PEDs. People are saying things like Machida declined because he isn't on PEDs etc.

Fact is fighters randomly going up or down in ability has and will always be a part of combat sports.

With Silva's cardio I have to question his work ethic. I hear he gets (or got) paid very well be Brazilian fighters due to his good looks and marketability. Maybe he's lazy and is used to getting by on pure talent.

Things is he's 31. He looks so young people treat him like a prospect. But he's actually a veteran who may simply be on the downside of his career.

He's eaten some damage too so maybe it's just downhill for him now.

I just don't think he wants it. I have no idea why he was fishing for that north/south choke (you're not Jeff Monson ffs) instead of maybe going for a kimura or mount. Bad fight IQ imo.

I think everyone knows why. You just cant say cause its against a forum rule. Be we know. Obvious why slower, with less muscle mass, less definition.

Nothing, people expected a killer because he`s brazilian and shares the same last name as some of the greats.

I doubt it's PEDs. People are saying things like Machida declined because he isn't on PEDs etc.

Fact is fighters randomly going up or down in ability has and will always be a part of combat sports.

With Silva's cardio I have to question his work ethic. I hear he gets (or got) paid very well be Brazilian fighters due to his good looks and marketability. Maybe he's lazy and is used to getting by on pure talent.

Things is he's 31. He looks so young people treat him like a prospect. But he's actually a veteran who may simply be on the downside of his career.

He's eaten some damage too so maybe it's just downhill for him now.

great post, didn't look at it in that way...

Jon Fitch erased his confidence and he realized he can't just blow his gas tank trying for a 1 minute Round 1 finish.

Nah, that is still his best chance at winning and that's what he should do.
His Economy Mode still makes him gas.

Go for it. Try to get that TKO in the first minute.

Back