What happened to Erick Silva?

Silva released a statement:
"About the fight:
Honestly, I did not like my performance, and was overcome, I was embarrassed by my performance, my body, I know that I am much more than that Erick who presented yesterday, my main mistake was insisting on fighting, and put not only my "head" in play as my coaches and my doctors did their best as far as possible so that I at least was the fight. was not a good month for me, more so nobody else wants to know and is not nobody else's problem, I made ​​a ridiculous performance and deserved to lose, I paid the price for it.
So I can only affirm and ensure that the next time I set foot in that Octagon again will be 100% physically uninjured, and with the full training period, otherwise do like everyone does, cancel the fight.
I also want to thanks all who are with me in defeat and in victory, make sure that the amount whose support is greater than he who lays down.
#vamoscomtudo"

Original Brazilian:

"Sobre a luta :
Sinceramente, eu n

Sloppy?.. Gassed?.. Ya dont say!! Sounds exactly like him, to me!

my main mistake was insisting on fighting, and put not only my "head" in play as my coaches and my doctors did their best as far as possible so that I at least was the fight. was not a good month for me, more so nobody else wants to know and is not nobody else's problem, I made ​​a ridiculous performance and deserved to lose, I paid the price for it.
So I can only affirm and ensure that the next time I set foot in that Octagon again will be 100% physically uninjured, and with the full training period, otherwise do like everyone does, cancel the fight.

so he was injured in training camp and couldn't train/get in shape properly?

so he was injured in training camp and couldn't train/get in shape properly?

apparently. Well, it's only 1 of 3 explanations.

However that doesn't explain the sloppy technique.

Absolutely embarsssing showing by Silva tonight. Sloppy, gassed, showed no skill that he (kinda) had before this fight. Why I say kinda, if that he would show skill before he gasses 5 min into every fight. He has shown huge potential but constantly gets worse. I've been a huge Silva fan for a long time now, but as bad as he looked tonight, it could be due to the new drug policies... I really don't wanna say it, but it's how I feel. He just looks very different

I'm done with saying Erick has potential. Dude lost to Magny on 1 week notice

His cardio was ok last night and he still fought effectively in the last round.

The problem with Erick is something that has been persistent in his career and now clearly wont change after 4 years we've watched him. He's made improvements in his strategy and being patient. But if we look at this mma game he really hasnt evolved or gotten much better, he pretty much throws the same type of strikes as he did years ago. Those out of range one shot at a time power strikes and kicks, although effective at times vs lower guys, it wont work vs the ranked fighters.

Now why is this a persistent problem?? Its clearly his coaching staff and how the develop him. Unless he leaves his team and goes somewhere better, he's not going anywhere. This guy would be great at Kings or ATT or Blackzillians

Pumped up by his early finishes and his pretty-boy looks.

That body change is suspect doe.

Magny is a bad match for him. He looked worse than usual, and even though the UFC has wanted to push him for his good looks, he isn't what they want him to be.

That's the general excuse after a loss....

90% of the time it is, although I prefer the more creative ones like "fight was at elevation" or "seat on the plane was uncomfortable" or "the japanese fans poisoned me before the fight"

"About the fight:
Honestly, I did not like my performance, and was overcome, I was embarrassed by my performance, my body, I know that I am much more than that Erick who presented yesterday, my main mistake was insisting on fighting, and put not only my "head" in play as my coaches and my doctors did their best as far as possible so that I at least was the fight. was not a good month for me, more so nobody else wants to know and is not nobody else's problem, I made ​​a ridiculous performance and deserved to lose, I paid the price for it.
I also want to thanks all who are with me in defeat and in victory, make sure that the amount whose support is greater than he who lays down.
#vamoscomtudo"

so it's not an excuse, right?

I know is very difficult to see anything that the looser says and take it seriously but he’s just being honest. He hurt his right hand and could not train a lot in the end of his camp. We all saw how his body was in this fight. And even when he fought like sh**t he always looked good physically. He got a very low fight IQ and that’s it. He was crushing Matt Brown and gassed trying to finish him.

apparently. Well, it's only 1 of 3 explanations.

However that doesn't explain the sloppy technique.

Not that I believe him. But if he was injured and that effected his training, wouldn't that play a part in poor technique?

I think people overestimated him from the start because of his good looks and how he demolished lesser opponents.

/tred

Not that I believe him. But if he was injured and that effected his training, wouldn't that play a part in poor technique?

Maybe. But at this point in his career, there's no excuse for sloppiness, no matter what the injury.

Is 31 old for this sport or something? Last I checked Robbie Lawler is 33 and Trinaldo which is 37 opened a can of whoop ass on Laprise last night.

People don't often improve much after 25 fights at 31 years old. He is who he is.

You also have to factor in that he has been fighting for 10 years as a pro. By that point almost everyone has reached their peak and often started to lose a half step.

Yea i expected him to destroy magny. Sad to see wasted potential.

Yea i expected him to destroy magny. Sad to see wasted potential.

I was never sold on him. He feasted on the weaker competition, and as soon as he faced too 10 fighters he folded like a house of cards. His cardio has always been good for only 1 1/2 rounds, although it looked better this last fight, he had none of the explosiveness that he was known for.

Back