What did your grandparents do?

Today my grandpa sat in his big armchair, watched some tv, then had a nap. My grandma wandered around forgetting wtf she was thinking of doing.

All of my grandparents were farmers, born before 1900.

Gynaecologist and Naval Commander for the men, librarian and housewife for the women.

Grandpa on my mom's side killed Nazis. Grandpa on my dad's side killed Japanese.

Exact same here.

After the war, my maternal grandfather had a grocery store which was pretty successful. He also had a reputation for drinking and fighting but was still a very popular man. I miss him more than anyone I've ever lost.
His wife was a teacher.

My paternal grandfather went back to his farm and raised five sons with his wife.
Very hard working and honest people, the world needs more like that.

I'm very fortunate to have been raised by good men, to be a good man.

I don't know my mother's side of the family. My paternal grandfather was the head of a local redevelopment authority and HUD. He wielded a lot of power and influence and was widely loved as well as hated. He also served for a long time in WWII at a relatively advanced age. He was almost 40 when the war ended and he also volunteered for service before the US even got involved in the war. My paternal grandmother was just a housewife AFAIK.

They owned a farm, and everyone who worked there, worked for free, they musta loved my GrandParents to do that.

Mother's Side - My grandma was an elementary school teacher and the sweetest woman you would ever meet. My grandfather did 30 years in the military and then worked as an accountant before retiring.

Father's Side - Never met either of them but my grandmother on his side worked in a restaurant for like 50 years or something crazy like that. As for my grandfather on his side, I asked my dad one time who he was and he looked at me and said: "He was a piece of shit". He only told me that he ran off on the family. None of my Aunts and Uncles speak of him and so I left it at that.

the maternal grand parents owned a ranch in Zacatecas, Mexico with a ton of cattle,pigs,goats,mules,donkeys and horses. they also owned "guayaba" trees and would sell those and hire relatives to harvest them.

my paternal grandparents ,my grandpa worked driving a huge truck for coca cola, he had a small farm which is necessary in high altitude rural Mexico. he later got a job in the u.s installing floors with a relative retired back to Mexico. My grandma ran a large snack shop which was awesome because I could eat soda and snacks until I puked, it had a lot of cool mexican ice creams and raspados too.

Last edited:
Paternal side:
GF was southern baptist minister. Fire and brimstone. I never knew him but am told he was a cold and harsh man.
GM was cold and manipulative

Maternal side:
GF was sheriff in Appalachian mountains. Huge, powerful man used to bust up illegal moonshine stills. Outdoorsman skills were off the charts. I liked him but was terrified of him at the same time.
GM was wonderful. Kind but with a steel spine. She was warm and loving, but GF was only the boss until he got home, lol.

Grandfather was a bus driver up until the Cuban Revolution and was a prisoner of the communists for 9 years simply for not agreeing with what they did to his country. He was tortured (eyes taped open with a lamp placed by his face for hours) and was told he would be executed many times, but it was just to see if he would give up and knock on others, but the gun was held to his head nonetheless. He later became a Freemason...which in Cuba was just a way to gather without bringing suspicion. Grandmother would receive constant calls letting her know that her husband would die soon etc just to hear her cry. Despite this grandma became a an ace hustler in my grandfathers absence she was basically Morgan Freeman from Shawshank Redemption while raising my mother and two uncles by her self. At one point she had stacks and stacks of rice and other goods hidden throughout her home. I respect the fuck out of them both since because of their sacrifice me my family did not have to throw ourselves into the ocean in a raft, but came to the US on American Airlines

Dad’s side:
Grandpa was a realtor. Mostly worked on expropriations by the government by the city of Ottawa. Not sure how he got into it. His parents were farmers and he only made it to grade 8 I think before he had to drop out of school to help with the farm. Served in the Canadian Air Force in WWII, achieved the rank of flight lieutenant. He died in 2000 at the age of 91 from Alzheimer’s.

Granny was mostly a housewife and stay at home mother despite actually having a university education. She got a Bachelor of Arts in I think 1937 and was one of only ten women graduates that year across the entire university. I think she worked as a teacher for a few years before marrying my grandpa and having my Dad in 1945. She died in 2009 at the age of 93 from a heart attack.

Mom’s side:
Grandfather was a merchant marine for the Canadian navy following the war. He quit that one day when my mom was maybe three years old when he realized that my mom didn’t know he was her father. He heard my mom call her grandfather (my great grandfather) “daddy” and thought to himself “fuck this!” so he quit and got a job at the docks loading grain on to ships so he’d be able to go home every night and not be away for weeks at a time. This was in Thunder Bay, Ontario on Lake Superior. He died in 1958 at the age of 41 of a brain aneurysm in connection with polycystic kidney disease. My mom was only 11 years old.

Nana worked at her father’s dry cleaning business before she met my grandfather and then again after he died in ‘58. The family lived above the business. When her dad (my great grandfather) died in the mid 60s her asshole of a brother took over the family business and kicked her out of her home. I’m not sure what she did for work after that. Around this time I think my mom had moved to Ottawa for university where she went on to meet my dad. Nana died in 1993 at the age of 77 from lung cancer as she was a lifelong smoker.

Dad's side - his dad was a coal miner and mom was a seamstress

Mom's side - not sure what dad did but something blue collar and mom was a housewife that liked to hang at the bar

One grandfather was a D-day paratrooper who took part in...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Deadstick

The other was going to be a bomb sighter but had his eyesight damaged by illness and ended up as an RAF fireman, probably good for me given the mortality rate of bomber personal. Ended up with the Canadians in Burma getting ready for the invaion that never happened with the Japanese surrending first, still around today living next door to me aged 98.

Mom's side: Grandfather was a Yale graduate and lawyer, but an alcoholic piece of shit that left his wife and 3 girls when my mom was 2. Died a few years ago with cancer.
Grandmother worked 2 or 3 jobs at a time to raise her daughters, who all grew up to be successful with their own families. Great woman, still alive and full of youthful vitality. In her early 80s.

Dad's side: Grandfather was an educator, mentor, coach, athlete. Took in students that were neglected/abused, raised them beside his own children. Died in 2014, he had pretty bad heart problems and after my dad died he began to lose his mind a little bit.
Grandmother was a housewife, but would baby sit/raise all the kids. Still alive, smokes 3 packs a day though and is in poor health. Is mooched off of by my aunt, a 50 year old C U N T.

I love my 3 grandparents very much, the ladies are great and my grandfather was a hoot. I miss that old man. Never met my mom's dad, but it doesn't seem like a huge loss tbh.

On my Dad’s side my Grandparents came from farming families in the Lake District, but my Grandfather was in the police, mostly around Greater Manchester. He was there in 58 when the Munich Air Disaster took place and kept vigil for the bodies of the people who died when they were brought home. After he retired he spent the rest of his life hobby-farming (sheep) and fly fishing. My Nan didn’t work, but was very active in the local community, she baked better cakes than anyone I’ve ever met.

On my Mum’s side my Grandfather was a painter and decorator in Birmingham, until he joined the RAF in WWII. He flew Hurricanes and Spitfires in the Battle of Britain, and stayed in the RAF the rest of his career, most of which he spent in Germany and Singapore, my Grandmother went with him and was very much the traditional military wife. They were both pretty arty, she painted, he turned wood, in the time I knew my Grandfather (he died when I was 12) he spent most of it in his workshop listening to Test Match Special or The Archers, smoking his pipe and making stuff. I’m gutted I never got to know him as an adult, he could be a bit grouchy, but I worshipped him when I was growing up.

Maternal Granddad worked in a factory. Grandma took care of the kids.

Paternal granddad was a mortician, the town EMT before they had such a name, and ran a paint store. Grandma took care of the kids.

Dont quite get it (lots of kids? essential jobs?) but both were exempted from the WWII draft.

Back