what did you guys eat when you were broke?

It's cheap as fuck to make your own pasta and bake your own bread/pizza dough. A damned sight tastier than dried pasta, shop bought bread and delivery/frozen pizza too.

Agreed.

Half a tin of Tuna, supernoodles/mr noodles, hot sauce.

50p/$1 meals all day long

Mac/cheese

Peanut butter sandwiches

Eggs every which way

Spaghetti goes a long way.

Those asian noodle packs - things would cost under a buck.

Eat like an Irishman.

Corned beef briskets and potatoes. That was a staple 2-3 nights a week when I didn't have money.

Back in the late 90s, local McDs would have $.39 cheeseburgers Wednesdays. Would go in and buy seven or eight bucks worth and stash them in the freezer for snacking throughout the week. BK would have dollar Whoppers, so would grab a couple of those.

Ramen noodles with eggs and veggies.

It's cheap as fuck to make your own pasta and bake your own bread/pizza dough. A damned sight tastier than dried pasta, shop bought bread and delivery/frozen pizza too.

If I knew how to cook like I do now when I was 19 I'd have been even more popular!

White rice, whichever beans you want, two eggs and you got yourself a meal.

A (full sized bowl) of rice, steamed broccoli and teriyaki sauce is like 50 cents a bowl.

even with the nice glaze style teriyaki sauce, too.

When I was going to college I used to eat ramen noodles with hot dogs all the time. I was also lucky enough to live by a Vietnamese place that sold $1 bahn mi sandwiches. Just the right price for a starving college student.

ramen, rice, beans.

beans, cheese, tortillas, ramen...

If I knew how to cook like I do now when I was 19 I'd have been even more popular!

Ha, there's tutorials online for everything now so it would be pretty easy. There's no excuse for college students now other than laziness.

In the summer of '92 for lunch I had 2 pb&j sammiches a day, 5 days a week, for 2 months.

I didn't eat pb&js again for over four years.

True story.

When I was going to college I used to eat ramen noodles with hot dogs all the time. I was also lucky enough to live by a Vietnamese place that sold $1 bahn mi sandwiches. Just the right price for a starving college student.

What are on those sandwiches??

These'll last for weeks, not mention cleaning your teeth and freshening yo breff.

large-MilkBoneOriginalLargeDogBiscuits.png

Never again. Last time I got into a habit of eating these I wound up in the hospital.

Lots and lots of hamburger helper. Enough variations to keep me happy.

I kind of lucked out. When I was stupid with my money, I was in the Navy, so I would just eat at the galley (obviously at sea I had no choice, but at home if I was broke I'd just go there for chow). Fortunately, I managed to realize How dumb I was being with my money before I got out and started budgeting myself. I'm making less money how than I did while I was in, but I still eat pretty well. I'll get take-out once every week or two (there are just too many good Thai and Indian places near me not to), but most of the time I cook for myself. I don't really know how to cook for shit, but I'm good at following instructions, and I have a smartphone and an internet connection, so I don't really have to remember anything :)

Back