what did you guys eat when you were broke?

peanut butter and jelly, turkey sandwhiches, lots of oatmeal, hamburger helper

Peanut butter is moderately cheap, but not too cheap really. Turkey is expensive to eat often unless you find it for 2.99 a lb or less. High Fiber oatmeal is a good breakfast, if you can control the raging gas. (I can't...But I eat it anyway)

yeah, if you are eating turkey sandwhiches, you are not broke

Ramen noodles, eggs, bread, and peanut butter.

if you're on a budget, bacon ends are pretty great. they're like shake, except bacon.

They're usually less than a buck a pound. Sure you don't get nice strips, but you still get a lot of calories for really cheap, not to mention you can use the grease for a lot of different applications.

Rice is like 5 dollars for ten pounds, you can eat that forever.

While I was fortunate to never have to worry about my food budget, I am definitely a ghetto home cook.

For any of you guys on a budget, go buy a slow cooker now!

Seriously, even the cheapest/poorest cuts of meat will end up tender after 8hrs in a slow cooker.

Healthy meal on a budget:

-16oz of meat (chicken breast if your balling, pork shoulder, stewing beef etc if you are budget concious)
-1 Bag Frozen Vegetables
-Whatever spices you have at your disposal. I will throw in things like Soy/Chile/Garlic sauce etc.
-Let cook for 6-10 hours

Prepare some rice on the side, and you have yourself a solid meal that costs less than $5 total.

pinto beans & hot sauce, corn tortillas & feta cheese, peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, anything with fiber

5+ grams of saturated fat is a lot. Maybe 2%. But you want the % of daily protein to be as high as the daily % of saturated fat imo. I believe 2% has 3.5 grams of saturated fat, which is still kind of a lot.

Exactly. You get far more calories for only $1 extra.

^^are you serious
Are you serious? Of course he is not serious. Geez.

This reminds of an old episode from Good Times, where that lady had to eat dog food to make ends meat.

For me, when I was in college, I prioritized beer and girls over food. The shit food I did eat, was stuff like, Ramen Noodles, Rice + chicken, Pizza Rolls, spaghetti, popcorn, etc..

Ramen, Peanut Butter on a spoon, Cicis.Stevie B's, Papa Johns bread sticks (back when they were under $2)

Ramen with egg, rice and peas, tuna sandwiches, and toasted pb&j.

Seriously? I have a pretty cheap food budget, and turkey sandwiches are on it. What other sandwich meats would people suggest?

i guess you are right, being broke is different for everyone i think, my bad

Two packs of top ramen and a can of tuna. Solid meal for like 1.39

wtf is this i thought all sherdoggers were born into money and dropped out of school

What is considered broke?

I only have $30 a week for groceries

the sausage combo at Costco is about $1.50. That is money. also any canned goods.

Back