what did you guys eat when you were broke?

We're similarly broke.

I usually buy and make stuff I can freeze. Which sucks, because I love fresh fruit and fresh vegetables. I hate junk food or any fast food, leaves me feeling like crap and I just end up eating more because of it.

There are times when I time it wrong or indulge too much in the week and end up with very little food and have to skip meals until I can shop again.

Water is probably the best thing haha.

If I can get one decent sized meal in a day, I'm usually alright.

Chicken+TV+Din+pic.jpg

Before they figured out the chicken meal was so much more filling than the other ones and jacked up the price.

Excuse my Aussie ignorance, but WTF is hamburger helper?

Yes, but we spent our college years slumming while we got a useless degree that has no relevance to our current occupation.

hey stop giving details about my real life to people please, geez

Spag bol is wonderful. Buy the pasta and tinned tomatoes on the cheap, everything else doesn't cost much anyway. Replace Italian herbs with Cajun and pasta with rice for a totally different meal.

In high school, my lunch was 3 mcchickens. my last year in college i lived right next to a jack in the box and the jr bacon cheeseburgers were still a buck. 2 of those and 2 tacos for every meal. every. meal.

2 cheeseburgers? Every meal?

Spag bol is wonderful. Buy the pasta and tinned tomatoes on the cheap, everything else doesn't cost much anyway. Replace Italian herbs with Cajun and pasta with rice for a totally different meal.

Main two meals I make involve beef mince or whatever part of the chicken is cheapest or what I can find in quick sales, then I have that with pasta or rice with a simmer sauce. If I get sick of the same thing, which I do, I switch sauces and try it different for a while. Sometimes if I find some coin I buy those little vegetable packs (carrot, snow peas, broccoli, spinach leaves, onion, etc) some shops put together and add that in.

Then I freeze it all.

When I was in college, BK had their value $1 whopper. I'd buy 10x of them at a time and freeze them. Survived by alternating frozen whoppers and instant ramen, but it got me by.

the thread about managing money in college got me thinking: I really only eat a few things. sometimes, I'll go out and buy ingredients and actually create something but most of the time it's just cereal or oatmeal in the morning, a sandwich and some fruit for lunch and pasta and more fruit for dinner.

what are/were your go-to meals on the cheap?

HAHA! yes! i was actually hoping someone would bring up a topic like this in my thread. I usually go with boneless skinless chicken breasts (easy to cook), brown rice, 4 apples and 5 bananas for the week, cereal and oatmael for breakfast, apple sauce and a gallon of milk. rarely got budget for juice manggg.

Costs a lot at the store, but where I'm from they're fucking everywhere and easy to catch. Salmon.

J-SJ9fw-SmkAvavOe9orswYfwZ13G-x_eJ3FuS_pOSr_lSNR3cuPspGW7YVuQONW-M5Kf5GJ5yCgAxgM1asYfGLTMjN1cg5ouIiBodmEMsoPYZIHj5w

frokost.jpg

This picture is pretty accurate, except for the ketchup.

Rugbr

Ramen, shells and cheese with tuna (very filling for like 2 bucks), spaghetti with butter and garlic, dollar menu stuff, order a pizza and eat it over a few days... splurge on a managers special steak every once in a while.

I'm a cook and baker, so I can throw breads, soups, and pastries together on the cheap.

Beans and rice, fresh veggies, chicken or some kinds of fish, oatmeal, potatoes, it's not hard to eat well for cheap.

Peanut butter is very filling and not too expensive.

It's cheap as fuck to make your own pasta and bake your own bread/pizza dough. A damned sight tastier than dried pasta, shop bought bread and delivery/frozen pizza too.

Back