what did you guys eat when you were broke?

Instant noodle when I was 13~15 to save money to buy video game stuff.

Never had to change my diet habit to save money since then.

When my Guatemalan friend moved here years back and his family was still poor they ate a shit ton of chicken wieners.

Dirt cheap.

Box of spaghetti and can of sauce is about 4 bucks for 3 meals. Big tub of oatmeal is comes out to about 50 cents per serving for breakfast. Eggs are cheap, big bags of lettuce for salads, baked beans.

You can also go to McDonald's at lunch rush with an empty bag and tell them they forgot a quarter pounder or memorize a friend's student ID and use their meal plan at the cafeteria if they don't use it.

whatever you do, don't eat out or buy prepackaged/frozen foods.
Make lots of casseroles, stews, and chili and extend them all with white rice (the cheap stuff, not uncle ben's), potatoes, or (dried) beans. For the meat, get cheap chuck roasts and chicken "leg quarters". Sometimes you can get pork roasts super cheap as well. For vegetables in your dishes, big bags of carrots, onions, and potatoes will go a LONG way. For seasoning, buy the large can of dry chicken stock and use that to season instead of salt. The large can of granulated garlic is also a good buy and can go into almost any dish.

get some cheap tupperware and for lunch eat leftovers.

mainly, you just need to learn to cook.

thats pretty much all I eat , literally. lol

mi+goreng.jpg

They were about 40c each back then.

Tuna & crackers like a motherfucker. Ramen with a egg in it. Pb&j.

Tompoes. Lots and lots of fucking tompoes.

A bakery next door gave me day olds

Baked beans on white toast.
Black beans and rice.
Hard boiled eggs and hot sauce.

The Wal-Mart near my house sold 30 packs of Natty Light for $9.98. That's 30 cents a beer. A 30 cent beer might as well be a free beer. So I ate free beer when I was broke.

Pasta with meat sauce.

Skim milk is actually really good if you don't have a lot of food imo. It has protein, sugar, and you get 16 servings for a couple bucks. I always boil it down to what I am paying per serving/how much protein or whole grain I am getting per serving for the price.. This makes it easy to find the best deals. Like with protein powder, I know how to get the very best deals on protein powder. It's easy math. How much are you paying for each serving, and how much protein is in said serving. If you are under 50cents a serving for Whey protein, you are doing well. I'm usually there.

Stay away from Ramen Noodles more than once a week. Eat a can of Tuna instead. If you don't have high cholesterol go eggs.. 12 servings for 1.50, and maybe 99cents on sale. If you separate the white from the yolk, you lose a bit of total calories, but it's about the healthiest thing a dude can eat. Buy a loaf (funny word) of wheat bread. For literally $2.00 you have 12 egg sandwiches, or 12-14 pieces of French toast if you have a little butter. Hunts "zesty spicy" spaghetti sauce in a can for 1.00 is literally my favorite sauce. You have three days worth of good tasting pasta for yourself with one box of whole grain pasta (Barilla 'Plus' on sale literally gives me 1-2 extra reps with high protein, fiber, and whole grain, and is on sale for 1.50 often) and one can of Hunts.. So Egg white on wheat sandwiches, a can of Tuna, and some whole grain Pasta and you are eating really good for 2-2.75 a day.

Why get skim milk when whole is the same price and much more nutritional (and balanced)? And it tastes a hell of a lot better!

Thanks for the advice everyone. Added baked and red beans to my grocery list.

I try to make <$20 in groceries last me seven days and it's ... a huge struggle, really.

peanut butter and jelly, turkey sandwhiches, lots of oatmeal, hamburger helper

Why get skim milk when whole is the same price and much more nutritional (and balanced)? And it tastes a hell of a lot better!

5+ grams of saturated fat is a lot. Maybe 2%. But you want the % of daily protein to be as high as the daily % of saturated fat imo. I believe 2% has 3.5 grams of saturated fat, which is still kind of a lot.

Back