what did you guys eat when you were broke?

Corned beef is my favorite food in the world, but the briskets are expensive as fuck. Not an option if you're poor. Where I live it's like 20$ a brisket, and I could eat a brisket by myself in one sitting :)

I don't remember them being that expensive.

You can get that stuff super cheap if you just grab the stuff on sale because it's on it's sell by date.

I think Instant noodles aren't really that cheap FOR WHAT YOU GET.
They are just per purchase but offer little more than stomach stuffer.

Learn how to cook, cook in big batches, is 90% of it,

I used to make spagetti bolanaise for around $3.xx per serve while not even trying to be cheap, and that was for a me sized serve and I eat more than anyone I know bar 1 person. Just buy unprocessed ingredients ie buy crushed tomatoes ina can instead of pre made bolonaise sauce.

tuna
beans
pasta + sauce
3lb frozen chicken breasts. It's like $8 at most grocery stores around me.
rice

Always, always, check the bargain/clearance meat bin in your grocery store. Sometimes things are on sale from 50-75% because the store has too much or it's close to expiration. Seriously, you can find some good deals

Rule #1- store brand anything if you can (pancake mix, cereal, soda, bread, frozen veggies)

NO, rule 1 should be work out what is actually the best value. Its not uncommon for store brand things to be more expensive per unit than other options of equal or better quality.

Basically just because something pretends to be good value doesn't mean it is, you need to assess it.

For instance the instant coffee I used to buy came in 50g, 100g and 200G packs, the 200gram pack is clearly labeled the value pack despite it almost without exception being more expensive than buying 2 100gram packs.

I love doing maths in my head (yes its strange i know) and I see shit like this all the time.

I was broke when I was living in Argentina.......straight lived off of empanadas for almost a month. Shit sucked, but it could of been worse.

Currently living off of canned Garbonzo beans + 1-minute Brown Rice.

Pussy.

Then with the money made from eating pussy, I bought a steak.

But really, ramen and 99 cent burgers.

sardines, ramen noodles and every once in a while id try to scrounge around the house for four quarters or maybe even a dollar bill so i can grab up some dollar menu at mcdonalds.

I did the ramen thing. Then I realized cooking isnt really that expensive. I would make big pots of chili or stew or pasta sauce and it could feed me for 3 or 4 days.

Potatoes haven't been mentioned much. They can fill you up and go well with many different meals. They are pretty cheap

Ramen isn't that cheap. I'd rather eat eggs, Mexican food, and pasta. Which are all basically cheaper.

Eggs, beans, oats, soup, fruit & veg and turkey steaks are crazy cheap compared to chicken.

I didn't go to college but I did grow up very poor. We ate these alot.

79821000452.jpg

Now if you are broke and want to eat "healthy", you'd be surprised how far $10 worth of dry beans, dry rice, eggs, and tuna will go.

A bag of frozen chicken breasts at the store near me is $6.89 but the same weight bag of chicken legs is $2.49 and has about 8-10 of em at around 130 calories each. If I had $25 only to spend on groceries, I think I'd go (based on prices at Aldi near my house)

1 jar of peanut butter $1.89
3 cans of tuna $0.69 each I think
2 bags of chicken legs $2.49 each
1 gallon of skim milk $2.89
2 cartons of eggs for $1.19 each
1 bag of dry beans $.89
1 bag of white rice $.98
1 box of dry pasta $1
1 jar of pasta sauce $2.75ish
1 bag of potatos $3

That should be $22.83

Last edited:
eggs, chicken, beans, bagels, potatoes, rice, cheese, peanut butter. in college i spent less than $30 a week and ate healthier then i do now.

You can eat real healthy for cheap

Fresh produce,rice,beans,some bouillon cubes and chicken broth

And a slow cooker

oatmeal
cinnamon toast
bologna
ramen spread

Back