what did you guys eat when you were broke?

My college days were filled with mac 'n cheese and Natty Light...

I would buy cheap but nutrient rich ingredients that I could cook with.

Lentils, rice, beans, eggs, broccoli, butter, etc.

The_Entrance_View.JPG

Love their balsamic marinated Porterhouse. It melts. Also like the raw salmon appetizers. Yummy.

whatever you do, don't eat out or buy prepackaged/frozen foods.

Make lots of casseroles, stews, and chili and extend them all with white rice (the cheap stuff, not uncle ben's), potatoes, or (dried) beans. For the meat, get cheap chuck roasts and chicken "leg quarters". Sometimes you can get pork roasts super cheap as well. For vegetables in your dishes, big bags of carrots, onions, and potatoes will go a LONG way. For seasoning, buy the large can of dry chicken stock and use that to season instead of salt. The large can of granulated garlic is also a good buy and can go into almost any dish.

get some cheap tupperware and for lunch eat leftovers.

mainly, you just need to learn to cook.

Aint nobody got time fo' dat.

In College, every week I used to buy:

8-10 Ramen bowls (roughly 10-12 dollars)
4-5 cloverleaf flavoured tuna fish (about 10 dollars)
2 boxes of triscuits ($5)
Dozen eggs ($3)
3L Milk ($4)
900g Cheese ($8-10)
2 loafs of Bread (say $5)
Whatever lunchmeat was on sale (say $5)
Orange juice ($5)

Total: $50-60 per week for myself

I have no idea what I would do if I was broke now, with a family and all. My weekly grocery bills are crazy.

tuna, sandwiches, a lot of hot dogs, microwave burritos, ramen soup.

Beans, Rice, cheap hamburger from Walmart, tortillas (which are easy to make homemeade), pork butt is pretty cheap, keep the lard from the bacon you cook and add it to other food (it makes everything great!), eggs, chili's are cheap and it's easy to make hot sauce with them that spices up almost every meal you make.

when I was a kid and we didn't have no money for food we'd go out and catch crawdads, then when there weren't no crawdads to be had we ate sand, yeah that's right sand.

I remember this one time I was hungry and tried to make the crawdads myself, I threw them in the pot on the stove but forgot to put in any water and they started popping like popcorn.

Eat like an Irishman.

Corned beef briskets and potatoes. That was a staple 2-3 nights a week when I didn't have money.

Back in the late 90s, local McDs would have $.39 cheeseburgers Wednesdays. Would go in and buy seven or eight bucks worth and stash them in the freezer for snacking throughout the week. BK would have dollar Whoppers, so would grab a couple of those.

Ramen noodles with eggs and veggies.

Corned beef is my favorite food in the world, but the briskets are expensive as fuck. Not an option if you're poor. Where I live it's like 20$ a brisket, and I could eat a brisket by myself in one sitting :)

yeah, if you are eating turkey sandwhiches, you are not broke

I've been broke and bought turkey at 29 cents a pound, which is an amazing bargain.

It doesn't happen often, but it happens.

Beans on Toast, go to Aldi, pick up 8 tins of beans, a loaf of bread and a tub of butter, you have 8 meals for 61p (or 97c) each.

Aldi is a god send if you're budgeting.

Chili, canned tuna/chicken, rice, beans, eggs, water, pasta, hamburger meat, bananas, hot sauce.

Bread and water. Also apple and some fish if i was lucky.

But i was ripped... :)

If you mix some wine in it, it would be called "the Jesus diet".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back