What are you playing? v.9 (Kefka Edition)

Is a bad launch a death sentence for a new IP?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tapped out of Diablo 4. After about 10 hours I realized I don't have the energy/time/desire to button mash my way through this. Enemy scaling was the final nail in the coffin.

Didn’t think people would hate it so much but I see more and more people mentioning it.

Didn’t think people would hate it so much but I see more and more people mentioning it.
I didn't hate it but these grindy RPG's just aren't my thing. Better to quit now while I can still get a refund.

Pretty much my opinion on every survival/crafting game.

Yes, but boy do I suck now. It's one of those games where you can't take a break. I used to be able to cruise at "ego 99" on SMB2, and do pretty damn good online. Now, I have to turn it down to 65, and I get fucking crushed online. The timing is so precise, down to milliseconds. I See SMB4 is basically ready to go, so I'll be hopping on there eventually.

Underrated feature: Customization. It's the "Fire Pro Wrestling" of baseball games. I had this team in SMB2 called "The Serial Killers" made up of real life serial killers, with probably the best logo I've ever created, and the character customization was just good enough, that all the players looked pretty damn similar to their real life counterparts. I'd always have PM's commenting it. I think my favorite one was "Are you the Zodiak killer? Holy fuck! LOL! The sunglasses on Richard Ramirez...*chef's kiss*"
I play around 45 on SMB3, but currently 50 on SMB4. And even then, I feel like I may have to boost the ego up a couple of notches. The customization is probably the biggest perks about the game. Unfortunately, I lack the creativity or skill to create my own logos. It'd be cool if they added community creations. Would love to play with MLB/NFL teams in this game.

Almost done with WH40K: Boltgun based on my progress tracker.

Lot of fun, nostalgic stuff going on that I’ve mentioned in our B/gun discussion (still can’t believe ‘boomer shooter’ is a subgenre, *eek) but want to throw a few negatives out right now for where I’m at.

Game’s too long for what’s on offer. The level design is so samey or nondescript that the most dangerous force at work isn’t any marine-hungry monster but rather getting lost and turned around. Priced smartly at only 20€, I’m speaking here to fun factor and replayability.

I actually feel weaker the more I progress, which is anticlimactic and exhausting, really. Enemies can spawn virtually on top of you when inside these attriting purge arenas and half of them at a point have miniboss HP. Later levels have almost exclusively ammo-guzzling nutcracker foe too for more imbalance.

/Spongegun out

I finished 40K Boltgun. Was great fun and a good entry into the genre. Sometimes the level design was frustrating, trying find switches and doors, and the Chainsword felt pretty redundant and useless after the first few levels. But everything else was very satisfying
I’ve been able to eat away at up 70% of late-game Chaos Terminator HP with one saw ATK from Chainsword (not strike ATK) – not to mention baked-in stunlock; have found it useful myself. Ironic given the namesake is my avoiding the actual Boltgun. The Kraken secret mod makes it viable but other than that, wet-tissue gun for me and redundant.

I am playing this old game called Tyranny.
Really hoping this gets an Xbox port since they own Obsidian now. I don't have a gaming PC. CRPGs have been my most-played genre for the past year. Definitely check out Pathfinder: WOTR, Divinity OS2, and Pillars of Eternity if you haven't already. Baldurs Gate 3 can't get here soon enough.

Really hoping this gets an Xbox port since they own Obsidian now. I don't have a gaming PC. CRPGs have been my most-played genre for the past year. Definitely check out Pathfinder: WOTR, Divinity OS2, and Pillars of Eternity if you haven't already. Baldurs Gate 3 can't get here soon enough.
I am really into that genre. Tyranny is alright but it is one of those games that really gives you free will. You can be the bad guy with no penalty. There are even cheapie CRPGs on IOS platform that you can enjoy. There are a few obscure Russian ports.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

And....done. 102 hours. Not much more I can say. The campaign ending was a bit...meh, but the journey...or "Odyssey", was spectacular. I pretty much did everything, but this one legendary animal just was not worth the frustration with it's cheap bullshit, so I left it. Easily my favorite AC game, and just a hell of a game in general.

Assassin's Creed: Origins

Giving it another chance, thinking I might've misjudged it on my initial playthrough, now that I'm used to the formula. Liking it a lot more than I did. I actually think the combat is a bit better, at least in how the weapons are...err...crunchier. There's a just a bit more impact to everything, and you get a shield glued to you, to work in some parries here and there. I'm only just nearing the end of the starting zone, but I think it's gonna click this time.

Diablo 4 worth playing? I never played 3 and I was thinking maybe playing 3 before buying 4? Is 3 still playable and not super dated?

I picked up Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen on Switch for $5. I have heard for years how amazing this game is, so it's worth a cup of coffee to finally see for myself. It definitely feels a little dated, but I am going to give it a shot and hopefully find what the hype was about.
Any Dragon's Dogma fans here?

Downloaded Chrono trigger for my phone. Cost me 5-10 bucks and it’s just as fun as I remember as a kid

Diablo 4 worth playing? I never played 3 and I was thinking maybe playing 3 before buying 4? Is 3 still playable and not super dated?

I havent played 3, but my brother is playing through it right now with his wife. They both said it was good, I think i will borrow it when they are done with it.

Oh' it's totally playable and looks great. The graphics really haven't aged at all. Don't listen to the naysayers, who think it's bad because it doesn't require you to sink 9000 hours into it to get to the good part. It's a great(and highly addictive) game. If you just like killing mobs(spectacularly) and getting a seemingly infinite amount of unique gear, with an immediate sense of progress, it will scratch that itch. It's as hardcore as you want it to be, and if you've never played it, it's final form will more than suffice if you just want to dip your toes into these types of games.

Any Dragon's Dogma fans here?

Kind of...

When you "get it", it's pretty good. Just don't go into it thinking it's Skyrim, or anything. It's a true blue dungeon crawler, where the fun is experimenting with builds. It's not some deep story driven RPG. It's fault, is that it presents itself like that, so if you're expecting deep mission design, don't. Just kill shit, upgrade skills and gear, and kill more shit.

And....done. 102 hours. Not much more I can say. The campaign ending was a bit...meh, but the journey...or "Odyssey", was spectacular. I pretty much did everything, but this one legendary animal just was not worth the frustration with it's cheap bullshit, so I left it. Easily my favorite AC game, and just a hell of a game in general.

Assassin's Creed: Origins

Giving it another chance, thinking I might've misjudged it on my initial playthrough, now that I'm used to the formula. Liking it a lot more than I did. I actually think the combat is a bit better, at least in how the weapons are...err...crunchier. There's a just a bit more impact to everything, and you get a shield glued to you, to work in some parries here and there. I'm only just nearing the end of the starting zone, but I think it's gonna click this time.
Origins was my favorite of the last three. Don't sleep on Valhalla either. It had its faults but I put by far the most time into it but that was mostly because it was what I happened to be playing during lockdowns.

Origins was my favorite of the last three. Don't sleep on Valhalla. I put by far the most time into it but that was mostly because it was what I happened to be playing during lockdowns.

"Odyssey" showed me the light. I'm actually really enjoying "Origins", and have already completed a bunch of side missions I didn't bother with on my first attempt. Those UBI dorks sunk their hooks into me...again. It's a solid formula that just took a bit to finally click.

From what I've seen, "Valhalla" was criticized for the same thing "Odyssey" was. "It's too big", and not "assassin-ey" enough. To that I say, if the formula is good, then "Big" is good, and quite frankly I was sick and fucking tired of the original formula by AC3.

Catching up on some backlog games. Didn't want to start TotK so close to FFXVI, so started playing RE7.

Game is giving me anxiety. Opening sequence was wild, then duder chasing me around the house cutting off limbs. Finally got to the point where I can somewhat explore and the black molded enemies just suck up all my ammo. Can only play for little spurts so I don't have a panic attack.

I just finished Doom 2016 on the Series X.

This is the 2nd time I've played it, the first was on my gaming laptop and although it was one of the first games I bought on my Series X I waited over a year to put some serious time on it because I had my doubts how it'd play on a controller compared to mouse & keyboard.

It took some getting used to, mainly due to the movement of the joystick, but it eventually became fluid. I can testify that it's as awesome on the Series X as it is on my gaming laptop.

I remember being blown away by the campaign... every aspect of it - the gameplay, the visual design, level design, and overall intensity of the game is 10/10. So glad its every bit as great the 2nd time on a next-gen console. Its aged perfectly and its still the best FPS I've played in a very very long time. Its up there with Halo 1&3 for me.

Unlike the first time through, I played with a guide to get all the upgrades and power-ups. It made the latter portions of the game significantly easier because the first time I played I went into those levels very underpowered but I was fully upgraded 2/3rds through the game.

The upgrade that gives you unlimited ammo if you keep your armor above half its max is seriously OP, half of the combat arenas of the last 1/3rd I blew through using my fully upgraded Gattling Gun & Super Shotgun.

Anyway guys for those that read this and haven't played Doom 2016 and are wondering if its aged well, it absolutely has and I fully endorce picking it up. Its truly a 10/10 classic, and set the damn standard for how a classic franchise should be rebooted for modern day gaming experience.

Dead Space & Resident Evil 4 may have the best remakes, but Doom 2016 is still the best reboot.

Looking forward to starting Doom Eternal in a few days.

<JackieThumbsUp>

I played it on the PS4 Pro, and although I took my time beating it, taking out every possible assassination option, I thought the finale was severely lacking. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth, like I spent 80+ hours getting hyped up for an epic finale and at the end I literally said "That's it?"

Guess its more about the journey than the destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back