What are you playing? v.9 (Kefka Edition)

Is a bad launch a death sentence for a new IP?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhoven

Parliament of Will
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score

Brothers of all mothers,

Dw.jpeg

PC2.png

Again, welcome.

This day 29 years ago (yes, we are old) saw the release of what I and many consider a gaming masterwork in Final Fantasy VI. *Terra, page me, baby

FFVI1.jpeg

Locke for steals, tool-leveraging Edgar, Setzer for slotting randomised ATK/Cure, dancing Mog, TST Sabin...whoever comprised your dream team, this title kicked serious butt and while nostalgia waxes hard, the title still holds up objectively as a storytelling delight and unbeknownst to us had blessed our bum lives.

"Read my lips – mercy is for wimps! There's a reason ‘oppose’ rhymes with ‘dispose’... If they get in your way, kill them!” -Kefka

Developed by Square before the big Enix merger in 2003, it was the #1 selling game in Japan for 1994, quickly selling almost 3M units and going on to enjoy worldwide acclaim. Roster still fire:

gl49qo5uktk21.gif

Respect this seminal title in our beloved space: *Check inbox for airship jacuzzi invite

FFVI2.png

final-fantasy_6-ff6.gif

Dawgs know the score but newcomers welcome: Talk here non-threadworthy gaming and what you're up to.

Never stop being hardcore. Never stop journeying. First rule of gaming: Heal your party. Second rule of gaming: Cast Ultima. Third rule of gaming: Rip and MF tear.

Dawgverse bless.

Loop Hero

First off, I gotta say that these "Devolver" guys know what's fun. I can't think of a game that I have put lower than "pretty good". They're not all bangers, but they're always...pretty good.

This one is no different. It's a weird mish-mash of ideas that takes some time to wrap your head around, but once you do, it's addictive as hell. In this case, it's a rogue-lite/RPG/deck building/city planner...thing, that has you fighting enemies in a literal "loop", where you gain upgrades and cards in the moment, but are also trying to build up your hub city, through resources that you gain by playing and laying down cards that are usually upping the anti as you go, and give you more resources to apply to build different strongholds that will give you more and more tools to take on the next run.

That's probably a terrible explanation, but just play it. You'll get it. It's right up there with "Vampire Survivors", in how simplistically additive all of it's moving parts are. You'll probably sit down with it for a few minutes and think "meh", and then before you know it, it's 3:00am.

9/10

Final Fantasy 6 is one of my favorite games of all time so this is great to see.

As far as what I'm currently playing, I'm cleaning up some achieves and level challenges in Sifu. I had so much fun with this game the 2nd time around.

Still chugging along on hogwarts legacy. having fun. I just recently got the room of requirement and I haven’t put much effort into it, I need to spend a day getting that set up so I can grow stuff to save money

I decided to try my hand at Path of Exile...again (PS5). I started a character about 2 years ago and got him to level 25 but then quit for something else. I'm glad I came back.

I went in knowing absolutely squat about the game, and to be fair, I still don't know much about it. I would consider this a complex game that will most certainly take time to understand. The learning curve smacks you right in the face the first time you open up the skill tree. It's gigantic and intimidating. There are so many different mechanics at play that unless you're taking notes you'll forget them 5 minutes after you learned them because your head only has so much space to remember what you're supposed to be doing.

I'm still confused on a plethora of things but I'm taking my time to grasp the game one level at a time. I'm really digging the gameplay and I love the gem / loot system. The skills are also fun and obliterating hordes of enemies is exciting. Path of Exile really gives me a Souls vibe. The artwork is really reminiscent and it has a much more mature tone and style than Diable IV, imo. However, if I had to rate the two on pure gameplay, Diablo IV definitely felt better. But...this is a theory crafters wet dream. So many different ways to play.

I'll continue on the quest and hopefully by next year I will understand exactly how flasks and armor work. Not holding my breath though.

Brothers of all mothers,

View attachment 977310

Again, welcome.

This day 29 years ago (yes, we are old) saw the release of what I and many consider a gaming masterwork in Final Fantasy VI. *Terra, page me, baby

Locke for steals, tool-leveraging Edgar, Setzer for slotting randomised ATK/Cure, dancing Mog, TST Sabin...whoever comprised your dream team, this title kicked serious butt and while nostalgia waxes hard, the title still holds up objectively as a storytelling delight and unbeknownst to us had blessed our bum lives.

"Read my lips – mercy is for wimps! There's a reason ‘oppose’ rhymes with ‘dispose’... If they get in your way, kill them!” -Kefka

Developed by Square before the big Enix merger in 2003, it was the #1 selling game in Japan for 1994, quickly selling almost 3M units and going on to enjoy worldwide acclaim. Roster still fire:

gl49qo5uktk21.gif

Respect this seminal title in our beloved space: *Check inbox for airship jacuzzi invite

Dawgs know the score but newcomers welcome: Talk here non-threadworthy gaming and what you're up to.

Never stop being hardcore. Never stop journeying. First rule of gaming: Heal your party. Second rule of gaming: Cast Ultima. Third rule of gaming: Rip and MF tear.

Dawgverse bless.
I used Terra, Celes, Strago, and Realm. Maxed out magic Attack on all 4 and pretty much nuked my way through the game.

Messing around with Session again. It seems they have fixed a lot of the trick registering issues I was having. I beat a bunch of missions first try that I couldn't get for the life of me before. This game needs multiplayer. Messing around playing a game of skate with your friends would be awesome.

Last edited:
Finishing up my second play through of Pathfinder: WOTR so I can get around to playing RE4 and Dead Space remakes. Two of my favorite games I've put off not playing for too long.

If you like CRPGs/ D&D type games I highly recommend Pathfinder. The game literally consumes you and is a lot of fun.

I am wrapping up gears of war tactics. It's an okay 6/10 game but nothing new.

I used Terra, Celes, Strago, and Realm. Maxed out magic Attack on all 4 and pretty much nuked my way through the game.
Once you max out magic and gem box it. You just kill everyone with simple fire or whatever level 1 spell. No need to even use powerful spells. Sabin was a good carry early on though.

I really liked how they at least gave everyone a small arc in the story along with the big dungeons that make you use everyone.

I've won my second game of Civ VI on Prince difficulty, again on Diplomacy.

I was aiming for a Culture win, but Diplomacy seems almost too easy to get the win with. I only built one district for it and just kept sending aid with any cities with nothing to improve on. I might turn it off next game.

In regard to the poll? I voted no. As shameful as they were at launch, both Cyberpunk 2077 and Fallout 76 were able to be turned around into successes. I wonder if this will be the case for the future, or if consumers will be fed up of the trend. I expect the former, I hope for the latter.

I'm downloading Ghostwire Tokyo. Glad it's on GamePass, and I can't wait.

I've won my second game of Civ VI on Prince difficulty, again on Diplomacy.

I was aiming for a Culture win, but Diplomacy seems almost too easy to get the win with. I only built one district for it and just kept sending aid with any cities with nothing to improve on. I might turn it off next game.

In regard to the poll? I voted no. As shameful as they were at launch, both Cyberpunk 2077 and Fallout 76 were able to be turned around into successes. I wonder if this will be the case for the future, or if consumers will be fed up of the trend. I expect the former, I hope for the latter.

I'm downloading Ghostwire Tokyo. Glad it's on GamePass, and I can't wait.
76 is good now? I see it on gamepass. I am not sure if I should start playing though.

Brothers of all mothers,

View attachment 977310

Again, welcome.

gl49qo5uktk21.gif

Dawgverse bless.
Is that Sappho on your AV?

Beat Yakuza 6 and it was easily one of the best games in the series. Combat and story were just great. Boss fights actually seemed much more reasonable in this title in some of the other games the boss fights are insanely hard with constant blocking\grab counters.

Story was sad as hell but still really good probably rank this up their right with Yakuza 0.

After beating Yakuza was able to find a save file for Trails from Zero that was about 1 chapter behind where I stopped so it saved me a good 14hrs of replay. Was able to run through that this weekend as well and it was awesome. Not sure where I'm going to go from here but I'm thinking Wo Long is calling my name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back