Were you impressed by Jones' performance last night?

Freak of nature was the point word, as I said in the post Rogan always refers to this. My opinion does not coinside with this thought process, If you disagree with me then I'm quite happy for you.

Your right Jones is just a regular Joe in the ufc. My bad

Not too sure. Impressed by some things, unimpressed by others.

I think Silva has a better fighter instinct than Jones and GSP is a better all around technical fighter. So I'm not sure why Jones is considered better than those two by some.

GSP, for example, fought fighters with as much or more talent than Gustafson in the last few years, and he never had that much trouble with them (he got caught by Serra though, bad stain). I think this fight simply reminded me that LHW is not the most talented division in the UFC. Great fight though.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not an expert.

Last edited:
I was impressed, but not in the way I thought i would be.

This sums up my thoughts. I was expecting him to impress me by putting on clinic on the ground and in the clinch.

Instead he got nearly shut out TD-wise. We got a 5 round FOTY, dogfight that few were expecting. The grit, determination, chin, and craftiness Jon showed impressed me.

He had to dig down deep and could have just accepted losing late in the fight but turned it on. I was blown away by Gus in his own right too ofc.

I think some people just don't understand the fact that any men can (and probably will, at some point) be beat in a fist fight.

I was. Dude got hands laid on him like he never has before, stayed strong, didn't get tired or give up, and kept fighting.

I'm curious to see how the beating he took will affect him. Maybe it's not comparable, but GSP seemed to change a lot from the Serra fight.

I did think Jones coming back in the late rounds was very impressive.

Not too sure. Impressed by some things, unimpressed by others.

I think Silva has a better fighter instinct than Jones and GSP is a better all around technical fighter. So I'm not sure why Jones is considered better than those two by some.

GSP, for example, fought fighters with as much or more talent than Gustafson in the last few years, and he never had that much trouble with them (he got caught by Serra though, bad stain). I think this fight simply reminded me that LHW is not the most talented division in the UFC. Great fight though.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not an expert.

GSP couldn't finish one of the worst grapplers in his division(Hardy) when he had him on the ground for 20 minutes out of a 25 minute fight. Lytle submitted hardy as soon as it hit the mat. GSP couldn't finish one of the worst strikers(Sheilds) on the feet in 25 minutes of standing. When your supposedly top p4p and you cant finish guys in your division in there worst aspect of the game over 25 minutes that's a problem, Jones, Silva, Aldo and possibly Barao are above gsp p4p.
And for the record saying the lhw division is not so talent rich is because Jones does something GSP doesn't and that's finish fights. If GSP was finishing guys left and right everyone would be saying 170 isn't talent rich.

I'll say the same thing I said regarding Bader/Glover, Jones did not perform at the level expected of him by many, including myself. So while I was very impressed with his heart and grit, I was not technically impressed with his performance.

Both of them looked impressive.

For Gus to be able to land and make Jones look lost when he couldn't land the TD. He outstruck him and won at least 2-3 (2 by judges count) rounds and fought through the tough ones (4-5) he'd never been through before. He showed heart and a chin when he was walking through Jones's elbows and high kicks.

Jones mounted arguably the best comeback of 2013 and looked like he was going to stop it late after being somewhat dominated. He showed toughness and an improved gas tank.

Fight was so good that the arguments for who won regardless of the decision will play out for months on message boards.

Jones showed that hes a true champion last night.

Fighting 4 rounds with a cut like that and almost finishing the fight in the 4th showed great grit and toughness.

I was also impressed with Jones cardio. He was kicking just as hard in the championship rounds as he was in the first round. Incredible endurance from him.

Fought through adversity, a game opponent with a very intelligent gameplan which frustrated Jones and made him improvise different ways of scoring points.

Jones is a real champion and showed incredible heart last night.

Obviously impressed with his heart. he has never been in a close fight before and so I wasn't sure how he was going to react. and when Gus started to light him up in the 4th I thought that it was looking dark. but one spinning elbow later, Jones closed the show like a real champ

Having said all that, outside of heart Jones can't be happy with his performance. maybe his foot was really hindering him. Maybe Gus is just that good. Will be interesting to see how a future fight between them goes. when Jones first came out I remarked to my buddies that he looked a little soft. made me wonder if he was as prepared as in the past.

of course, none of this should take away from Gus. that dude fought his ass off. I was cheering for him and I really thought that he was going to win it 3:45 into the 4th. fuck

So there was this very same thread regarding Glover's "less than stellar performance" against Bader and some people said he wasn't flawless so he shouldn't be a contender.

Jones' performance last night showed me that, despite the win, you can beat the guy. What did you think of his performance last night? Do you think his stock dropped after last night?

Discuss.

If you weren't impressed with JBJ's performance then you need to stop watching MMA period, in fact maybe badminton is your cup of tea (not you specifically, just anyone hating). Both guys performed at the highest level last night and it was a fun fight to watch.

The only bit where JBJ's stock might have dropped is at HW but I already thought he'd have problems there anyway.

His performance couldn't have come further from impressing me. He took a beating, and his wrestling was completely ineffective. This fight hurt his stock considerably.

Well he managed to win 3 rounds in a highly competitive fight. But it showed he's a light heavyweight and has no business moving up in weight for a long time.

He showed great heart. Him being so young, and looking frazzled after Machida hit him, I was wondering where his head was at when an opponent put him in trouble. Sort of like a Brock or Mir character.

Last night showed me he can hang with adversity and come back. Good for him.

As far as his aura? Yeah, he looks very human now, similar to Anderson Silva when Chris put a hurting on him. There's give and take, for me.

His performance couldn't have come further from impressing me. He took a beating, and his wrestling was completely ineffective. This fight hurt his stock considerably.

Yes overcoming adversity and still winning lowers your stock. Rashad, Chael, Vitor, Bader and Machida would all beat him in a rematch after last night.

Jones showed heart, a lot of heart. I didn't think he won but it was a close fight that could've swung either way. I totally want to see an immediate rematch.

Back