Were you impressed by Jones' performance last night?

I was impressed by Jones' heart, although despite what the T-shirt said, he never looked as human. Gustafsson impressed me all around. I was rooting for him, but thought he didn't have much of a chance.

Yes overcoming adversity and still winning lowers your stock. Rashad, Chael, Vitor, Bader and Machida would all beat him in a rematch after last night.

Nevermind him he always has stupid shit to say :icon_lol:

Yup. I hate Jones, but he has heart. We didn't knew how he would react in adversity cuz he only had relatively easy fights so far... He reacted the right way and didn't break under pressure. Good for him.. Still don't like him as a human being but I respect his heart
Lol, youre a bitch!

I can't stand Jones but he impressed me as much as Gus in that fight.

He was tested, he was hurt and he scraped through.

War Gus though, hopefully Jones dosn't backtrack into caulk after this after some his fans already have.

I thought it was silly for people to bash Glover because it's not like Bader is pillow fisted.

Cant stand Jones but goddamn you gotta respect him hanging in there.

I was. I don't even like Jones but he put on a great performance. He could have folded but kept fighting and was able to win a decision. This could've easily been his legit loss IMO but his mental strength really kept him going.

If GSP was finishing guys left and right everyone would be saying 170 isn't talent rich.

Not sure how that's an argument. GSP doesn't finish fight at a high ratio and that's a fact. The reason could range from "170 is talent rich" to GSP doesn't have much power. Not sure why power is the only way of winning that should be worth something (submission is pretty much non-existent at that high level). You use the tools you have, GSP is not a brawler nor a great hitter. He uses his technical skill to win fights. I'm not sure what this has to do with talent.

Do you believe Randy Johnson is better than Greg Maddux because he throws harder and strikes more batter? That would make him more entertaining to watch, not better.

Anyway, wrong discussion. Let's not derail the thread.

I was impressed by some things, but I'm not sure I got the feeling Jon Jones was GOAT from watching that fight. He struggled a lot with a step up in competition. Gustafsson is a good fighter close to his prime, is he a great fighter?

Very impressed by both guys, amazing fight, it was a war. Rewatched it and agree with the judges this time.

I thought it was silly for people to bash Glover because it's not like Bader is pillow fisted.

Yeah, his chin and KO power impressed me in that fight. A lot. Yet people were complaining he didn't look perfect so he was no title shot material. Last night proved me he does have a shot, despite what most people here think.

I can't stand Jones but he impressed me as much as Gus in that fight.

He was tested, he was hurt and he scraped through.

War Gus though, hopefully Jones dosn't backtrack into caulk after this after some his fans already have.

Gus impressed me more than Bones skill wise. Jones proved he can overcome adversities (he was already a proven beast.)

Yes overcoming adversity and still winning lowers your stock. Rashad, Chael, Vitor, Bader and Machida would all beat him in a rematch after last night.
It 100% lowers your stock. I've had this argument with numerous people and it continues to baffle me. Overcoming adversity means you were not dominating. Hence that is not dominance. What GSP does is dominance. I've never seen him slapped around for 5 straight rounds. Dominance is always controlling your opponent and never losing rounds. Jones took an absolute beating this weekend. That does not raise his stock, it lowers it significantly. It raises his toughness, while considerably lowering his dominance. That is a negative, and a substantial one. Winning a war does not raise your stock like winning in dominant fashion. I don't know how anyone could dispute this. Most thought Jones would steamroll Gus, and he barely won. Thus it lowered his stock.

Im not a fan of his but he most certainly impressed me, he showed he has the heart of a champion imo

I was not. After getting tagged in the first round, he was very tentative with the takedown approaches, and seemed afraid to get hit. He should have been digging for that double leg with far more emphasis, but he looked honestly scared. I also think he lost the fight, and that the first three rounds were clearly Gus's. With that said, it was impressive to see him gain some confidence in the later rounds and come back strong. But overall, it was his worst performance in a long, long time.

yep i was impressed bec of the heart he has shown in the fight even though he looked sloppy at times

Not sure how that's an argument. GSP doesn't finish fight at a high ratio and that's a fact. The reason could range from "170 is talent rich" to GSP doesn't have much power. Not sure why power is the only way of winning that should be worth something (submission is pretty much non-existent at that high level). You use the tools you have, GSP is not a brawler nor a great hitter. He uses his technical skill to win fights. I'm not sure what this has to do with talent.

Do you believe Randy Johnson is better than Greg Maddux because he throws harder and strikes more batter? That would make him more entertaining to watch, not better.

Anyway, wrong discussion. Let's not derail the thread.

I was impressed by some things, but I'm not sure I got the feeling Jon Jones was GOAT from watching that fight. He struggled a lot with a step up in competition. Gustafsson is a good fighter close to his prime, is he a great fighter?

Finishing fights is more dominant than not finishing fights period. If your so damn good and cant submit dan hardy on the ground or jake shields standing that's a problem. When a Champion can't finish a guy who is horrid in one aspect I see that as a problem. Imagine if Cain Velasquez fought pat barry and had him on the ground for 25 minutes and couldn't finish him? GSP has holes in his game and people talk like he is elite everywhere. Chris Lytle was always an entertaining fighter but not top of the food chain and submitted Hardy in 10 seconds of being on the ground and GSP couldn't do it in 25

I was more impressed with Gus' performance because I expected less from him.

But yes, Jones showed the true heart of a champion and also proved his chin was much better than I thought it was, he never looked wobbly not even once.

Back