Were you impressed by Jones' performance last night?

I'm a bit of a hater, but fightwise, yeah I was impressed. I remember I thought he was done when he looked up at the clock with 00:40 left. Then he pulls off a hail mary spinning elbow. He is not a quitter.

Of course. Showed grit and resolve in the face of adversity, also proved that he has one hell of a chin. Both guys looked like a million bucks.

His heart impressed me. Dude has what it takes to overcome adversity.

Impressed by his determination and gas tank, not by his performance. In the middle o the 4th round it seemed inevitable that Jones would be KTFO, but then he came back and dominated the next 6.5 minutes.

He showed true grit. That's big.

However, I'm disgusted by his eye poke in the first round. It was intentional, and he actually pushed on the eye intentionally. That makes me fear he can be mentally broken. He even dropped his hands after getting frustrated.

Only in that he showed heart when he was down. We've only seen him flustered a couple of other times, so seeing it oevr the course of five rounds was nice.

He showed true grit. That's big.

However, I'm disgusted by his eye poke in the first round. It was intentional, and he actually pushed on the eye intentionally. That makes me fear he can be mentally broken. He even dropped his hands after getting frustrated.

This here.

McCarthy has a habit of helping out the champion. Jones has gotten away with eyepokes more than once, and he let Demetrious kick Dodson twice in the balls and land an illegal knee without a deduction.

I want Herb Dean in the next Jones fight.

Back on topic, Jones' chin was impressive. Gus isn't the hardest hitter in the division, but he tagged Jones cleanly a bunch of times. If he had, say, Rashad Evans' chin, he'd have gone down.

However, this fight also exposed Jones' striking as being very, very overrated by his fans. His elbows are hard, but his kicks by and large lack little snap or force on them. And his hands suck, too. And Gus, naturally a striker, completely neutralized Jones' supposedly godlike wrestling and ground game. Jones is clearly mortal, nowhere near as good as all his fans were hyping him before the fight. He fought someone his own size for the first time and escaped with a lucky decision, largely because it's better business for him to be the champ. Gus wasn't going to get the benefit of the doubt in a close fight, ever, even if he won clearly (which he did.) And Gus was like a 9-1 underdog going into the fight.

I don't like him, but this fight emphatically confirmed that GSP is P4P #1. Jones still has a long ways to go before he can be considered a top 3 P4P talent again. Aldo, Barao, and arguably Weidman are all in front of him now.

I was impressed with his perseverance more than anything else.

It was strange to see him out of his element, tentative and uncomfortable.

Either way, both Jones and Gus gave an amazing performance.

This here.

McCarthy has a habit of helping out the champion. Jones has gotten away with eyepokes more than once, and he let Demetrious kick Dodson twice in the balls and land an illegal knee without a deduction.

I want Herb Dean in the next Jones fight.

Back on topic, Jones' chin was impressive. Gus isn't the hardest hitter in the division, but he tagged Jones cleanly a bunch of times. If he had, say, Rashad Evans' chin, he'd have gone down.

However, this fight also exposed Jones' striking as being very, very overrated by his fans. His elbows are hard, but his kicks by and large lack little snap or force on them. And his hands suck, too. And Gus, naturally a striker, completely neutralized Jones' supposedly godlike wrestling and ground game. Jones is clearly mortal, nowhere near as good as all his fans were hyping him before the fight. He fought someone his own size for the first time and escaped with a lucky decision, largely because it's better business for him to be the champ. Gus wasn't going to get the benefit of the doubt in a close fight, ever, even if he won clearly (which he did.) And Gus was like a 9-1 underdog going into the fight.

I don't like him, but this fight emphatically confirmed that GSP is P4P #1. Jones still has a long ways to go before he can be considered a top 3 P4P talent again. Aldo, Barao, and arguably Weidman are all in front of him now.

Your not the smartest are you? GSP couldn't finish Dan Hardy on the ground in 25 minutes or Jake Sheilds standing in 25 minutes. When your the world champion and cant submit dan hardy a horrid grappler at that time that you had on the ground for 5 rounds or finish Sheilds a horrid kickboxer that you made stand for 5 rounds you are not p4p #1. Jones has competition so now his striking sucks. So I guess GSP's striking sucks because serra koed him and he had too take him down in the rematch, got dropped by Condit something that Gus didn't do to Jones and actually lost a round to Sheilds in a striking match.

He definitely showed resiliency and heart. Nobody should ever question that again.

But he still lost that fight, somehow managing to fool all three judges into thinking a guy who leaves on a stretcher beat the guy who changes clothes and gives interviews. :icon_lol:

Back