We are falling into the same trap with Brown that we did with Melvin

Before the fight tonight, I was skeptic of Matt Brown being a top contender, but after watching tonight, he definitely belongs in the top 5. The guy has a granite chin with the heart of rocky, and to top it off, he is highly skilled. His combinations were very diverse and would of finished anybody in the division. People try to discredit his win streak, but most of his wins are pretty solid, especially his win over wonderboy who is another rising star. Also, Erick Silva is 100% legit and could finish any top welterweight in the blink of an eye, and those shots he delivered to Brown would have stopped a lot of people.

I don't think the comparison to Guillard is a good one. Melvin is so one dimensional; you know he is going to try to knock your block off with punches. With Brown, he can put on a unrelenting pace with knees, elbows, kicks, punches, and body shots that don't ever stop coming. I think his weakness in the past was wrestling, but he showed tonight that his tdd is much improved and he even tossed Silva to the ground with ease on a few occasions. People think Brown is just a brawler, but the guy is highly technical.

Remember when the young asassin Melvin Guillard was on that roll in 2010. He was knocking guys out, people were saying that he was the dark horse in the Lightweight division and a future champ. And yet if you look at his opponents in 2010 none of them were good at what melvins weakness was, TakeDowns and ground control/sub game, a grinder if you will. In fact Melvin really didn't face one of those until he faced Jim Miller and lost after getting choked out ( i know he lost before that but Lauzons punch was probably a little lucky tbh)

We are falling into the same trap with Matt Brown, and i really like matt brown, but this guy is not a title contender. Beating guys in the top 15-25 who are all predominatly strikers, ( a dont give me mike pyle either because while he is good on the ground he isn't very good at takedowns). Anyways when you look at it there are striking similarites. Matt lost a bunch of times before this streak, why? because he was fighting guys who had the ability to take him down and submit him and/or take him down and grind him out to a points win. Same with Melvin

So what does the Ufc Do? They match them up with predominatly strikers who Brown/Guillard are better than at standup.And what happens? right on cue Melvin went on a streak and now matt is on one.

So i would suggest not to jump fully on the Brown bandwagon, because we really haven't seen him against a grinder, who can take him down and submit him since he went on his streak. To Bad Fitch got cut because i would have liked to have seen Brown against him. Rory would probably starch him but that could potentially be fun as well

Thoughts?

What trap? All I see is a bunch of people who enjoy watching Brown fight. No one is overhyping him as this world beater. Calm down, dweebs.

The thing is I'd say Erick Silva was Melvin Guillard's Jim Miller. Tough guy who can take punishment, and is a good grappler.

Matt Brown passed his test

Melvin didn't pass his (and many other tests)

The thing is I'd say Erick Silva was Melvin Guillard's Jim Miller. Tough guy who can take punishment, and is a good grappler.

not to be rude, but that's slightly disrespectful to Jim Miller. Jim is a legit top level guy in the LW division. Erick Silva isn't even top 15 in the WW division.

i dunno man the careers are VEEERRRY similar. Both lost a bunch early on, so the ufc gives them some strikers to fight which they do and look good against. Than melvin got to the top of the division and got stomped by guys who could take him down and tap him.

I see that happening to brown veerrrry soon

You could be rt, I'm curious to find out too, because the biggest difference that stands out to me is Browns ground game seems much improved where Melvin seemed to be happy with a punchers chance but again like you said it could be the favorable match ups that make him look improved. I'm hyped to find out either way it goes though!

eh i disagree. Silva isnt much of a takedown artist. he doesnt have the threat of a takedown at all times, nor is he anything special at gnp. Miller is probably better in all areas to other than mt

You could be rt, I'm curious to find out too, because the biggest difference that stands out to me is Browns ground game seems much improved where Melvin seemed to be happy with a punchers chance but again like you said it could be the favorable match ups that make him look improved. I'm hyped to find out either way it goes though!

me to love me some matt brown but after what happened to melvin ( i was leading the charge for a title shot) im much more conservative with these types of guys who get the favorable matchups.

If Kos uses his brain at all, he'd take brown down and maul him on the ground.

Fight starts on the feet tho and this isn't the Kos of old. Personally I think Brown would win. Unless Kos lands one of those big bombs he's always looking for, but that hasn't happened in a while. Brown is decently crafty on the ground, his submission defense impressed me, his offense didn't though.

Fight starts on the feet tho and this isn't the Kos of old. Personally I think Brown would win. Unless Kos lands one of those big bombs he's always looking for, but that hasn't happened in a while. Brown is decently crafty on the ground, his submission defense impressed me, his offense didn't though.

kos should retire imo

i saw brown with some sick judo throws and some slick submission transitions in the silva fight, and silva is a bjj black belt too. melvin had neither of those.

I expect brown to go much further with better skills than melvin ever had.

Brown is an animal but fragile. Silva is devastating but has one of the worst gas tanks ever

Remember when the young asassin Melvin Guillard was on that roll in 2010. He was knocking guys out, people were saying that he was the dark horse in the Lightweight division and a future champ. And yet if you look at his opponents in 2010 none of them were good at what melvins weakness was, TakeDowns and ground control/sub game, a grinder if you will. In fact Melvin really didn't face one of those until he faced Jim Miller and lost after getting choked out ( i know he lost before that but Lauzons punch was probably a little lucky tbh)

We are falling into the same trap with Matt Brown, and i really like matt brown, but this guy is not a title contender. Beating guys in the top 15-25 who are all predominatly strikers, ( a dont give me mike pyle either because while he is good on the ground he isn't very good at takedowns). Anyways when you look at it there are striking similarites. Matt lost a bunch of times before this streak, why? because he was fighting guys who had the ability to take him down and submit him and/or take him down and grind him out to a points win. Same with Melvin

So what does the Ufc Do? They match them up with predominatly strikers who Brown/Guillard are better than at standup.And what happens? right on cue Melvin went on a streak and now matt is on one.

So i would suggest not to jump fully on the Brown bandwagon, because we really haven't seen him against a grinder, who can take him down and submit him since he went on his streak. To Bad Fitch got cut because i would have liked to have seen Brown against him. Rory would probably starch him but that could potentially be fun as well

Thoughts?

I've always thought Melvin was shit.

I can't get over ridiculously stupid some of you Sherdoggers are, Jesus Christ.

I agreed 100%. The fight didn't show Brown is a contender. It showed that Silva is just not very good.

Silva is great, seriously skilled and gifted. His mental game and cardio needs desperate improvement tho. In my opinion Silva lost the fight more than Brown won it.

Just to name a few. Fuck..

This was a good fight for Brown in terms of Silva being a reasonable quality opponent who was skilled at striking and has decent BJJ ability.

It also played into Brown's hands that Silva has woeful fight IQ and loses every fight that goes past one round.

I guess we can get as excited about Brown as individually we want to. He hasn't beaten any wrestlers and hasn't faced the best guys during this streak, that's true. At the same time, I have only seen a very select few saying he is now a top 5 WW or similar, so while people are caught up in the romance of a gritty brawler making his way to the top, I don't see many people truly getting carried away.

The worst thing about MMA is the fans.

A guy is on a roll and instead of enjoying it, all this place can do is find reasons why it's not impressive. And yet this same dung-heap can't stop slobbering over the Diaz boys and honestly, nick's record is full of at least as many mid-level guys as Browns. And a few lightweights to boot.

On top of that EVERYONE loses. But even if Brown wins his next one against a top 5 guy and then loses his next one, the boo-birds are going to come up and point out that he was never that good.

I love this guy. I love his heart. I love the fact that he seems to be improving and I'm glad he's making noise and bank. He's making me watch. Which is more than GSP did since forever ago.

You must have missed the part where brown was hurt and had a legit black belt on his back and was able to not get submitted. Brown has actually improved while Melvin is the same fighter today as when he started. If Melvin gets hurt by anyone and gets his back taken, you can bet your life you're about to see a rnc.

I recall many people on Sherdog, including myself, stating the obvious: Brown needs to show us what he's got versus at least one top 10 WW. Until then, we don't know...

Back