We are falling into the same trap with Brown that we did with Melvin

Really? He has 9 submission losses against many average at best opponents. He has obviously improved but I wouldn't call him having a "submission game"

You don't think that it's possible at all that the guy improved?

..and LOL @ the comparison to Guillard. If Brown were like Melvin, he would have been stopped easily by strikes or by sub if the first round.

As great as Brown/Silva was, the one thing that I'm wary of is the body kicks that nearly gave Silva the TKO win in the first round.

Somebody with some fight IQ is gonna exploit that in the future.

Jim Miller had a 7 fight win streak too.

As great as Brown/Silva was, the one thing that I'm wary of is the body kicks that nearly gave Silva the TKO win in the first round.

Somebody with some fight IQ is gonna exploit that in the future.

I thought this as well. I seem to remember him being dropped by a body shot before as well. Anyone recall if that occurred?

Condit would have finished him after that.

I thought this as well. I seem to remember him being dropped by a body shot before as well. Anyone recall if that occurred?

Condit would have finished him after that.

Silva capitalized on it to the extent that most fighters would, i.e he jumped on a hurt Brown, took his back and had him in danger from the choke. He just failed to finish. That's not a lack of killer instinct any way I see it. Maybe fight IQ, though lots of guys opt to sub a hurt opponent rather than attempt to pound him out.

I agree Condit would have finished in that position though (probably with strikes).

To [sic] Bad Fitch got cut because i would have liked to have seen Brown against him.

That is actually a big reason why Fitch got cut. Having him hang around picking off potential contenders is bad for business.

(and I would imagine money had something to do with it too.)

The glass body talk isn't just people trying to discredit his wins. In almost every fight he gets hurt by body strikes. You just need someone with the fight IQ to keep going after him.

His streak is impressive but flawed. I don't see him breaking into the top 5. Still a very fun fighter to watch and his pace and pressure is awesome.

I completely agree. Look, I'm even a fan of Brown. But let's not kid ourselves, everyone in the top-10 would beat all the guys he beat on this streak.

And the second he faces someone like Ellenberger, Rory, even Maia would decimate him.

Not sure why everybody has such a problem that he isn't facing grapplers. There aren't really any at WW. WW isn't this wrestler/grappler heavy division that it's made out to be. It's full of guys who strike, but have wrestling/grappling backgrounds that they don't use.

Just because you have a grappling background doesn't mean you are a grappler. You're a grappler if you actually use your grappling. There's a difference. And now that GSP, Jake, and Fitch are gone, and Maia's out of contention, there's not a lot of guys that you can say are consistently grapplers.

So I don't really see the criticism in Brown's streak. The division is full of guy's who chose to strike and he's beating them there. If he beat a guy like Koscheck, all you guys would say is that he beat a wrestler who never uses his wrestling anymore. Which is the exact same thing that you'd say if he beat guys like Hendricks, Ellenberger, Woodley etc (guys with grappling backgrounds that you'd think he'd lose to). That they should have used their grappling to beat him. The fact is that guys don't use their backgrounds so they mean nothing. And that's just ignoring the fact that he actually did just outgrapple a BJJ and Judo black belt. There's just no pleasing you.

Lay criticism against the level of opponent all you want, but the criticism that he doesn't face grapplers is a silly one. WW doesn't have guys who use their grappling extensively.

The glass body talk isn't just people trying to discredit his wins. In almost every fight he gets hurt by body strikes. You just need someone with the fight IQ to keep going after him.

His streak is impressive but flawed. I don't see him breaking into the top 5. Still a very fun fighter to watch and his pace and pressure is awesome.

I haven't seen all his fights, but if I recall correctly it's actually only happened in two fights. It may be a vulnerable spot on him, but I wouldn't say he has a glass body though if true.

He proved that he should fight a contender next. Any contender should accept this fight as Brown is on an impressive streak.

They are like the opposites. Melvin had a lot of raw talent but a low fight IQ and limited heart.

Brown does not work off of his raw talent, rather he has a hight fight IQ with relentless heart.

i thought the same thing with Melvin. When he was on the roll and he was koing guys it was something special to watch. Great Standup, Explosive,Athletic. Good TDD. But once it hit the ground with him it was pretty much over, evident by his fights with Miller,Diaz,Stevenson,Clementi ect.

I see the same happening to Brown as soon as someone with some good ground skills, takes him down. Rory/Woodley/Hector would all beat him on the ground. Not to mention Hendricks, and Robbie who are prob better on the feet than him

When is the last time Rory or Woodley submitted anyone? Do you watch his fights? The problem has never been lack of wrestling or grappling it's been his lack of choke defense. He showed improvement fighting a full neck crank of Silva. Even DHK back in the day had major trouble doing anything with grappling to him. Now his defensive wrestling is even better.

It's exciting and it is fun to be a fan of Matt Brown right now.

Is he a world beater?

Probably not, but it's been an enjoyable ride so far.

Back