We are falling into the same trap with Brown that we did with Melvin

Really? He has 9 submission losses against many average at best opponents. He has obviously improved but I wouldn't call him having a "submission game"

He defended RNC attempts from a black belt BJJ guy for over 2 1/2 minutes in his last fight... He didn't panic and worked his way out of it and this after he ate a big stomach shot.

On top of that he actually attempted a couple of subs against Silva, unsuccessful yes, but made the effort.

Matt Brown has excellent standup, good takedown defense and a strong top game (and those sweeps were awesome).

He doesn't need a great sub game, just great sub defense. Plus how many top guys at welterweight are going to try and sub him? Maia is really the only sub wizard at 170 in the top 10. Hendricks, Lawler, Condit, Rory, they all like to bang.

Matt lost a bunch of times before this streak, why? because he was fighting guys who had the ability to take him down and submit him and/or take him down and grind him out to a points win.

I almost want to agree with you, but I've been watching Brown's career for a while. And since his win against Wonderboy, I've become a serious fan.

Here's the thing, you're almost right, but the difference is that Brown has shown improvement in his weakness. He got put on the mat by a guy who's better on the ground (on paper), and survived a position that Melvin couldn't survive if he were coated in KY jelly. Brown has shown improvement in his weak areas where Melvin has not. Brown has shown good "coach-ability" where Melvin has not.

I think the comparison is unfair.

Brown has more potential than you give him credit for. He's durable as hell. He probably has the biggest heart of any fighter in the UFC. He's a hell of a comeback fighter. What happens when a guy throws their best shot and he doesn't go down? What happens when you put everything into a submission and know it's a wrap, but he doesn't tap? What happens when you give your best, he doesn't go down, and he comes back with triple your punch output?

Matt Brown may not have the most beautiful technique, but he has certain intangibles that make him a problem for a lot of guys right now.

I know he's not ready for a title shot just yet, but he's definitely ready for a nice step up to prove himself even more.

People really go out of their way to discredit guys on here.

Just enjoy the fights

Remember when the young asassin Melvin Guillard was on that roll in 2010. He was knocking guys out, people were saying that he was the dark horse in the Lightweight division and a future champ. And yet if you look at his opponents in 2010 none of them were good at what melvins weakness was, TakeDowns and ground control/sub game, a grinder if you will. In fact Melvin really didn't face one of those until he faced Jim Miller and lost after getting choked out ( i know he lost before that but Lauzons punch was probably a little lucky tbh)

We are falling into the same trap with Matt Brown, and i really like matt brown, but this guy is not a title contender. Beating guys in the top 15-25 who are all predominatly strikers, ( a dont give me mike pyle either because while he is good on the ground he isn't very good at takedowns). Anyways when you look at it there are striking similarites. Matt lost a bunch of times before this streak, why? because he was fighting guys who had the ability to take him down and submit him and/or take him down and grind him out to a points win. Same with Melvin

So what does the Ufc Do? They match them up with predominatly strikers who Brown/Guillard are better than at standup.And what happens? right on cue Melvin went on a streak and now matt is on one.

So i would suggest not to jump fully on the Brown bandwagon, because we really haven't seen him against a grinder, who can take him down and submit him since he went on his streak. To Bad Fitch got cut because i would have liked to have seen Brown against him. Rory would probably starch him but that could potentially be fun as well

Thoughts?

Agree 100% except Melvin was a much better striker. Be ready to see Brown getting KTFO when he faces the best strikers in the division.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm seeing a lot of "we always knew Melvin had no ground game" responses.

Go watch his fight with Waylon Lowe. Good wrestler tries to get it to the ground, gets blasted with a vicious knee to the body, and the fight's over. Not only did Melvin's base look impenetrable, it seemed like just attempting the takedown would end your night.

Kept wondering why silva didn't just punish the body.

Still loved the fight. Brown is a savage.

Brown looks a lot better off his back then Melvin ever did.

Brown showed he is vulnerable for body shots. He was hurt badly by 2 or 3 shots that some guys would have followed up and finished him. Brown showed he has heart for days that cant be matched and has some seriously good cardio. He must have thrown 150 shots at Silva and never once seemed drained. I would like to see Matt in a title eliminator at this point. He deserves it.

Last edited:
Big difference is that Melvin was relying on his power and explosiveness in the opening frames, whereas Brown relies on pressure and cardio.

Erick silva had brown down and didn't submit him.

Guillard would have been submitted.

Not the same trap.

I don't think I've heard a single person say Brown will be the next WW champion

This. Feed Brown to Woodley already

Neat. Woodley became a world beater suddenly. Underweight Marquardt disagrees.

You know not everyone is going to injure themselves fighting him, right?

I love Matt Brown - he's one of my 3 favorite fighters... but that boy will never hold a belt - he'll be lucky to ever crack the WW Top 5.

he will lose his next fight if he finally gets a real top 10

I agreed 100%. The fight didn't show Brown is a contender. It showed that Silva is just not very good.

Brown is top 10 but has very little to offer against Woodley, Hendricks, Rory and Condit. I could see his style giving Lombard issues if it goes late into the fight. Him against Lawler would be fun.

I don't think I've heard a single person say Brown will be the next WW champion

I would say he will but have been a fan of his for a long time so it's a subjective opinion.
Melvin's biggest weakness was and is in his head. Brown seems to be in a good place right now.

Very different fighters, I feel Brown has gotten better as a fighter whereas Guillard just stayed the same.

Neat. Woodley became a world beater suddenly. Underweight Marquardt disagrees.

You know not everyone is going to injure themselves fighting him, right?

This.

I was just starting to like Woodley, too, and then he goes and acts like he did something impressive by accidentally injuring NBK... *shakes head*

i nvr thought melvin was a contender and thought it was a jokr everyone got so hyped about him during his streak forgetting all of hia inconsitencies before that. Matt brown i think is slightly more well rounded then melvin but i see what youre saying. I dont think hell ever b champ and not quite convinced hell even get to a title shot, but i do think that overall, he is a more quality fighter all around than, gulliard, melvin has power n athletic ability, and it ended there

Back