We are falling into the same trap with Brown that we did with Melvin

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by XThe GreatestX, May 10, 2014.

1. XThe GreatestX

XThe GreatestX Red Belt

Remember when the young asassin Melvin Guillard was on that roll in 2010. He was knocking guys out, people were saying that he was the dark horse in the Lightweight division and a future champ. And yet if you look at his opponents in 2010 none of them were good at what melvins weakness was, TakeDowns and ground control/sub game, a grinder if you will. In fact Melvin really didn't face one of those until he faced Jim Miller and lost after getting choked out ( i know he lost before that but Lauzons punch was probably a little lucky tbh)

We are falling into the same trap with Matt Brown, and i really like matt brown, but this guy is not a title contender. Beating guys in the top 15-25 who are all predominatly strikers, ( a dont give me mike pyle either because while he is good on the ground he isn't very good at takedowns). Anyways when you look at it there are striking similarites. Matt lost a bunch of times before this streak, why? because he was fighting guys who had the ability to take him down and submit him and/or take him down and grind him out to a points win. Same with Melvin

So what does the Ufc Do? They match them up with predominatly strikers who Brown/Guillard are better than at standup.And what happens? right on cue Melvin went on a streak and now matt is on one.

So i would suggest not to jump fully on the Brown bandwagon, because we really haven't seen him against a grinder, who can take him down and submit him since he went on his streak. To Bad Fitch got cut because i would have liked to have seen Brown against him. Rory would probably starch him but that could potentially be fun as well

Thoughts?

2. fourtyounce48

fourtyounce48 Brown Belt

I agreed 100%. The fight didn't show Brown is a contender. It showed that Silva is just not very good.

3. flanellograf

flanellograf Silver Belt

I can see him beating a lot of top guys with his relentless style. He might be prone to taking one punch to many, and thus probably wouldn't be consistent at the top, but I'd give him a fair chance of beating anyone. He just has a very hard style to prepare for.
    He is really good at in-fighting, which is a rare thing in mma.

4. RiotWyatt

RiotWyatt Brown Belt

Brown has a chin and heart... and a submission game.

5. XThe GreatestX

XThe GreatestX Red Belt

i thought the same thing with Melvin. When he was on the roll and he was koing guys it was something special to watch. Great Standup, Explosive,Athletic. Good TDD. But once it hit the ground with him it was pretty much over, evident by his fights with Miller,Diaz,Stevenson,Clementi ect.

I see the same happening to Brown as soon as someone with some good ground skills, takes him down. Rory/Woodley/Hector would all beat him on the ground. Not to mention Hendricks, and Robbie who are prob better on the feet than him

6. omawho402

omawho402 Brown Belt

Silva is great, seriously skilled and gifted. His mental game and cardio needs desperate improvement tho. In my opinion Silva lost the fight more than Brown won it.

7. surgeyou1

surgeyou1 Welcome to the Machida Era...Part Deux

Really? He has 9 submission losses against many average at best opponents. He has obviously improved but I wouldn't call him having a "submission game"

8. DizzyYeahYeah

DizzyYeahYeah Red Belt

Brown's 7 fight win streak >>>>>> your life.

Seriously, do you not care about fighters winning?

How many people in boxing get TS from nice winning streaks? Pretty much everybody.

Think of all the time and effort Brown has put in to his streak. Give the man his due.

9. Archleone

Archleone Backstage Brawl ≠ Legitimate UFC Fight

Nah, I have Trap Sense and a ridiculous Reflex Save. I'll be fine.

10. Palaina10

Palaina10 Yellow Belt

I just hope he doesn't go the same route George Sotiropoulos did after his 7 fight win streak.

11. PRIDEoftheUFC**

PRIDEoftheUFC** Red Belt

I don't see Brown fighting for a title anytime soon. But I do give him major props for rejuvenating his career and making some noise against some pretty decent competition and being fun as hell to watch while doing it. I don't think he would have beaten guys like Silva or Mein back when he was racking up losses.

12. Anung Un Rama

Anung Un Rama Idol of Millions Platinum Member

Melvin never got better.
    Brown obviously has.

13. Yolandabecool**

Yolandabecool** Brown Belt

I agree, but what the UFC is doing is smart. Hype sells PPV & you need to build stars. If they want to get Brown a title shot you need to be selective regarding the top 10 fighter you give him. Get it wrong & you lose a hyped contender.

14. Cptn1NSAN0

Cptn1NSAN0 shows no mercy

I agree for the most part. I think Brown loses to Hendricks, Lawler, Ellenberger and Woodley. Lombard and McDonald are also really tough fights for him.

He did great tonight and it was a great win for him nontheless.

15. XThe GreatestX

XThe GreatestX Red Belt

wow

16. DownwardStrike

DownwardStrike Purple Belt

Man, I'm just enjoying the ride.

17. XThe GreatestX

XThe GreatestX Red Belt

disagree

Melvin was much better in 2010 than he was in say 2007/8

18. Sam9104

Sam9104 Blue Belt

Who cares now though, there's like 2 wrestlers in the division now that GSP and Shields are gone. Still, those wrestler (except Woodley) prefer to keep it standing.

19. XThe GreatestX

XThe GreatestX Red Belt

depends. Rory has the ability, and has shown in the past that he will take a fight to the ground when he wants to, same with Lombard/Woodley/Hendricks

20. 209since1978

209since1978 Apathy is death

Nah man I think most knew Melvin was an explosive striker with not much sub defense brown has always seemed like a way more well rounded guy than him, I know the hype is big with his streak rt now but would still like to see him against Dong or Lombard so we can know that he can hang with top of division. I like rooting for the underdog so WAR Brown