We are falling into the same trap with Brown that we did with Melvin

Everyone needs to stop crying about title contention. Not everyone will be a champion, why don't we just enjoy these fights?

I don't think many people are calling for a title shot or anything. The guy has been built up against solid talent and prospered. He hasn't faced contenders yet however. Silva was a great buffer fight between the two but not Brown needs to face a top 5-10 at least.

Also, people get too caught up in winning streaks and don't look at the details enough. The streak is impressive but it is nothing compared to Fitch's or Alves 7+ fight streak before getting a title shot.

I see the comparison but you also have to understand Melvin always had two things working against him.

1. Not the strongest durability.

2. Melvin is a headcase. Different fighter from fight to fight.

Think hendricks/woodley/lombard all beat him
Can see him breaking mcdonald
Can see him ko'ing dhk/saffedine/lawler
Condit I can see saying "fuck it" and standing with him- sd can't decide who
Can see him tko'ing ellenburger/lawler

More I think about it I think I wanna see him vs maia.......if he wins its a big name,and a win would SILENCE people who doubt his grappling ability....its pretty much a given that some gets knocked out or taps

He reminds me of Forrest Griffin. Not overwhelmingly good in any one particular area, pretty decent everywhere, but he has a lot of heart, is passionate about fighting and very tough. I think the upper echelon will beat him soundly, but he has a fan in me. IMO, Hendricks, Woodley, Lawler, Lombard, Condit and Rory all beat him and make it look a bit one sided.

Matt Brown is different than Melvin because he's actually getting better and has heart, doesn't fade or brainfart like Melvin was prone to doing.

And for all of this favorable match up talk, say what you will, but the level of competition Brown has faced in this 7 fight run is better than the competition he was facing prior to it, and instead of being .500ish against that level, he's finishing these guys in brutal fashion.

And on that favorable match up note, I'd say his biggest weakness is sub guys, not wrestlers, and Silva and Pyle are certainly capable sub guys, and Brown beat them down.

Brown is a legit dark horse, I think he can become champ with the right match ups. As a Brown fan, the guy who scares me the most in the top 10 is Demain Maia with his underrated takedowns and elite subs.

Rory, Lombard, Condit, Lawler, Woodley, Marquardt, Maia, Kim, and Hendricks. All have a better claim to title shots then the Immortal.

Hendricks is the champ, genius. And Marquardt?! He's lost 4 of 6 and 3 in a row.

LOL what the fuck is this ?

So you're basically saying that you are a fan of a fighter only if you are sure he is going to win ?

Give me a fucking break.. God, MMA fans these days..

The difference I think is that Melvin is not a mentally tough fighter.

To an extent I agree but Guillard had much bigger holes in his game and seems like much more of a head case than Brown, Guillard badly needed the right people around him and to guide him and when he left them he started losing.

Back