War Room Lounge v7: Lead is a Totalitarian Monster Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then I guess I won't expect a response here. :cool:

I like Giamatti quite bit. My favorite role of his was in Shoot 'Em Up. His demeanor and frustration really added to the fun.

I think he's a pretty good actor, that never really shed his skin and stepped out of his comfort zone. He's another guy that always plays a slight variation of the same character. It works for him though.

One of his more underrated roles, is in "Private Parts".

"W ENNNNNN BC!"

Leo's best performance was easily "Django Unchained".

One of the few roles where he isn't playing Leonardo Dicaprio.
Aside from a few really good takes, it was just not convincing to me at all. I appreciated him being different though. Nothing is going to top his role in This Boy's Life anyway.

Also, Leo's performance in Wolf of Wall Street is nothing more than a bad impersonation of Ray Liotta (and the fat kid does a bad impersonation of John Leguizamo). Scorsese phoned that one the fuck in and so did all of his actors.

I think he's a pretty good actor, that never really shed his skin and stepped out of his comfort zone. He's another guy that always plays a slight variation of the same character. It works for him though.

One of his more underrated roles, is in "Private Parts".

"W ENNNNNN BC!"

Yeah, Private Parts. Totally perfect for that.

Aside from a few really good takes, it was just not convincing to me at all. I appreciated him being different though. Nothing is going to top his role in This Boy's Life anyway.

Also, Leo's performance in Wolf of Wall Street is nothing more than a bad impersonation of Ray Liotta (and the fat kid does a bad impersonation of John Leguizamo). Scorsese phoned that one the fuck in and so did all of his actors.

Wolf of Wall Street is probably one of my top 10 most hated movies all-time. Just awful, exhibitionist bro-trash. Scorsese was shameless in pretending to critique that culture while pretty obviously just using it to score with male consumers or cover up an otherwise shit movie.

Didn't hate him in The Revenant, Aviator, Catch Me if You Can, or Shutter Island. But his performances in The Departed, The Great Gatsby, and Wolf of Wall Street -- some of the most insufferably bad acting from a "serious" lead that I've ever seen.

How people can put him alongside talented movie stars leads like Gylenhaal, Bale, Damon, Denzel, Clooney, even Gosling or Affleck is beyond me. He belongs with guys like Mark Wahlberg, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and the kid that played Harry Potter. We don't hold up Judd Apatow's annoying ass wife just because she keeps getting put in decent movies. Leo should get the same treatment.

Wolf of Wall Street is probably one of my top 10 most hated movies all-time. Just awful, exhibitionist bro-trash. Scorsese was shameless in pretending to critique that culture while pretty obviously just using it to score with male consumers or cover up an otherwise shit movie.

Didn't hate him in The Revenant, Aviator, Catch Me if You Can, or Shutter Island. But his performances in The Departed, The Great Gatsby, and Wolf of Wall Street -- some of the most insufferably bad acting from a "serious" lead that I've ever seen.

How people can put him alongside talented movie stars leads like Gylenhaal, Bale, Damon, Denzel, Clooney, even Gosling or Affleck is beyond me. He belongs with guys like Mark Wahlberg, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and the kid that played Harry Potter. We don't hold up Judd Apatow's annoying ass wife just because she keeps getting put in decent movies. Leo should get the same treatment.
Had a similar reaction to his role in The Departed, where Marky Mark legit upstaged him. It's not that he's objectively a bad actor, he's just not in the company of any of those people you mentioned, and it baffles me that anybody thinks he is.

I'll take "Blow" over WoWS by a mile, for that type of film.

Had a similar reaction to his role in The Departed, where Marky Mark legit upstaged him. It's not that he's objectively a bad actor, he's just not in the company of any of those people you mentioned, and it baffles me that anybody thinks he is.

I'll take "Blow" over WoWS by a mile, for that type of film.

giphy.gif

There are some film snobs in the Mayberry that agree as well (moreover on the fact that The Departed is just a really bad movie and probably the single most overrated flick of my lifetime). Mark Wahlberg legitimately had a better performance than Leo or Nicholson. I guess Damon was the best of the lot?

Also, yeah, I think Depp is just better in general. I'd honestly put Depp below the guys I mentioned, but he's still better.

Damn, I loved The Departed. But yeah, Leo is upstaged by everyone in it. Alec Baldwin has the best performance in that movie.

I like Gylenhaal a lot in Donnie Darko and Nightcrawler but haven’t seen that many of his movies.

I’m thinking Depp’s best role is Edward Scissorhands?

Really can't think of any Depp role that wowed me.

I like Gylenhaal a lot in Donnie Darko and Nightcrawler but haven’t seen that many of his movies.

He's great. I firmly believe his performance in Brokeback Mountain was way better and harder to pull of than Ledger's. Also good in Zodiac.

He was great in Nightcrawler, and I can appreciate that objectively, but I did not enjoy that film at all and I really didn't enjoy his character.

giphy.gif

There are some film snobs in the Mayberry that agree as well (moreover on the fact that The Departed is just a really bad movie and probably the single most overrated flick of my lifetime). Mark Wahlberg legitimately had a better performance than Leo or Nicholson. I guess Damon was the best of the lot?

Also, yeah, I think Depp is just better in general. I'd honestly put Depp below the guys I mentioned, but he's still better.
I liked The Departed and rate Depp pretty highly, but he wasted too many good years for me on that damn pirate franchise and quirky roles (not counting Edward Scissorhands). Have you heard his long interview with Lawrence Krauss? His head seems empty. I don't know what kind of character I'd like to see him play, just something straight and subtle would be good.

i have to say i think tarantino is highly overated as a director, aside from pulp fiction , you know what you are going to get with his movies, overblown plots, acting and predictable violence.
im sure the actors enjoy themselves , but if youve seen one tarantino film, youve seen them all.
im also not a huge fan of decaprio, and christian bale fluctuates wildly in his roles.
guys like phillip seymour hoffman jeff bridges and woody harrelson blow them away in my opinion, its all about star quality rather than acting ability.

i have to say i think tarantino is highly overated as a director, aside from pulp fiction , you know what you are going to get with his movies, overblown plots, acting and predictable violence.
im sure the actors enjoy themselves , but if youve seen one tarantino film, youve seen them all.
im also not a huge fan of decaprio, and christian bale fluctuates wildly in his roles.
guys like phillip seymour hoffman jeff bridges and woody harrelson blow them away in my opinion, its all about star quality rather than acting ability.

I think a lot of people would agree about Tarantino.

Woody Harrelson is perhaps the most underrated actor in Hollywood. He's incredible and probably my favorite actor to watch. But I also think Bale is very, very good.

I think a lot of people would agree about Tarantino.

Woody Harrelson is perhaps the most underrated actor in Hollywood. He's incredible and probably my favorite actor to watch. But I also think Bale is very, very good.

Funny how Woody's most impressive lead in a movie was written by Quentin.

I liked The Departed and rate Depp pretty highly, but he wasted too many good years for me on that damn pirate franchise and quirky roles (not counting Edward Scissorhands). Have you heard his long interview with Lawrence Krauss? His head seems empty. I don't know what kind of character I'd like to see him play, just something straight and subtle would be good.
Depp and subtle.... flol.

I know a lot of people talk about this movie for the action of it and such but this sequence is probably one of my favorite parts from the first movie:

"I heard you hit my son"
"He stole John Wick's car"
"Ah..."
"And killed his dog"
"Thank you........"
*click*

giphy.gif

Marky Mark kills everyone in that movie. Damon's character (and it could be because it was written that way) comes across like a sniveling pussy which is why Marky Mark blowing him away at the end is so damn satisfying.

The big thing for me in that whole movie is you could have done that movie WITHOUT Damon's character and you wouldn't have lost a whole hell of a lot.

I was never a huge fan of NBK.

I think Tarantino is alright, though. I really like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction

I think Jackie Brown is underrated, his third best. Plus it has one of the best soundtracks ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back