War Room Lounge v51: A Total Non-Starter

Which presidential candidates are total non-starters for you? (Pick up to 3 out of the top 12)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
iu

Last edited:
And that's only until 2008, I wonder what the numbers look like in more recent years. The trend certainly isn't encouraging.
For blacks, why do you think the rate of increase appears to have doubled starting around 1965?

When I started uni it was free for nationals, and there were quite a few "permanent students" living on the student allowance and just studying for life. I took my time and took a bunch of courses out of sheer interest for similar reasons. That's despite the heavy restrictions on places offered and transfers allowed.
Then in my second year they introduced student debt and charged nationals a fixed rate of @$2000 a year. The also deregulated fees for international students. Straight away that cut out most of the Austudy bludging, and got universities hooked on international student fees. Even though national student debt is subsidised by foreign students, those charges have followed a rapid upwards trend for similar reasons to the increases in the US. Esspecially once they allowed unis to offer a certain number of places to nationals that have the means to pay unsubsidised fees even if their scores weren't high enough.
Just another example of how the privatisation and neoliberalism of the '90s destroyed Australian egalitarianism and meritocracy in favour of wealth polarisation and preferential options for the wealthy.

The center right Finnish government implemented tuition fees up to the master level a year after I left (I already had my MSc by then, but still, close). In Canada, rich Chinese students among others subsidize the post-secondary education system and you state it correctly: the institutions are addicted to that 5x tuition. When Saudi and Canada were having a big spat, Saudi pulled all of their medical residents. There were 800. My question was ''...why the fuck were there 800 Saudi medical residents in Canada?'' There were thousands of students in total. The Iranians usually end up staying for some reason, but everyone else ends up leaving.

The center right Finnish government implemented tuition fees up to the master level a year after I left (I already had my MSc by then, but still, close). In Canada, rich Chinese students among others subsidize the post-secondary education system and you state it correctly: the institutions are addicted to that 5x tuition. When Saudi and Canada were having a big spat, Saudi pulled all of their medical residents. There were 800. My question was ''...why the fuck were there 800 Saudi medical residents in Canada?'' There were thousands of students in total. The Iranians usually end up staying for some reason, but everyone else ends up leaving.
University of Washington got into trouble one year when it came out they were accepting 55% non resident and only 45% resident for incoming classes

University of Washington got into trouble one year when it came out they were accepting 55% non resident and only 45% resident for incoming classes

I had a lot of foreign students in my engineering classes in Canada. I'd wager it was close to half, maybe 40%.

Not to get racist (it's gon get racist), but the Chinese were the worst fucking cheaters I have ever seen in my life. Holy shit. I saw a guy google something during an exam. This was absolutely haram under the rules. In digital electronics, we had to build all kinds of amplifiers and rectifiers and stuff like that, and then write a lab report explaining how it all works. As part of the lab report, we had to test the transistors to get their beta values so we could estimate the size of resistor needed to bias it correctly. For one lab section, the machine to do this was broken the day their lab did the experiment. You don't need to have an Engineering degree to figure out how every single Chinese student in that section got caught submitting lab reports from the year before. And none of these people got expelled because they were paying 20 grand a semester or some crazy bullshit to be there.

I think The Great Society likely played an important role.
Doesn’t that time frame coincide more with Nixon, Ford and Reagan dismantling and cutting funding for Great Society programs? Or the heroin and then crack cocaine epidemic and rise of black street gangs?

I had a lot of foreign students in my engineering classes in Canada. I'd wager it was close to half, maybe 40%.

Not to get racist (it's gon get racist), but the Chinese were the worst fucking cheaters I have ever seen in my life. Holy shit. I saw a guy google something during an exam. This was absolutely haram under the rules. In digital electronics, we had to build all kinds of amplifiers and rectifiers and stuff like that, and then write a lab report explaining how it all works. As part of the lab report, we had to test the transistors to get their beta values so we could estimate the size of resistor needed to bias it correctly. For one lab section, the machine to do this was broken the day their lab did the experiment. You don't need to have an Engineering degree to figure out how every single Chinese student in that section got caught submitting lab reports from the year before. And none of these people got expelled because they were paying 20 grand a semester or some crazy bullshit to be there.
That kind of thing came up in a teaching ethics seminar I was at once. We had this whole chunk of time devoted to discussing how cheating is viewed in other cultures, particularly educational environments. Cliffs: they warned us that Chinese students (and other groups) have higher rates of plagiarism.

Doesn’t that time frame coincide more with Reagan dismantling and cutting funding for Great Society programs? Or the crack cocaine epidemic and rise of black street gangs?
No. Look at the graph.

iu

Pre-1964/1965 the rate is about 25% (lower than the current white rate!). Then in 1965, the time of The Great Society, the rate of increase appears to double or more. The Reagan/crack elements you listed didn't start until the mid-1980s. At that point, the rate was already ~63%.

That kind of thing came up in a teaching ethics seminar I was at once. We had this whole chunk of time devoted to discussing how cheating is viewed in other cultures, particularly educational environments. Cliffs: they warned us that Chinese students (and other groups) have higher rates of plagiarism.

They all end up going back home anyways, so I don't really care that much. Their incompetence doesn't dilute the value of my degree in my country. But there was one guy who would constantly burp and forcefully expel the burp from his nose during class. We're talking maybe once every 3 seconds. That guy should have been deported.

No. Look at the graph.

iu

Pre-1964/1965 the rate is about 25% (lower than the current white rate!). Then in 1965, the time of The Great Society, the rate of increase appears to double or more. The Reagan/crack elements you listed didn't start until the mid-1980s. At that point, the rate was already ~63%.
Sorry I was doing other stuff and had misremembered the graph. Thought it started in the 60s not the 30s (the graph that is).

It’s bullshit.

The Chinese also are like that at grocery stores. It’s bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back