War Room Lounge v51: A Total Non-Starter

Which presidential candidates are total non-starters for you? (Pick up to 3 out of the top 12)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't he saying he was having some health issues while he was still posting? Hope he's ok.

We want da funk, gotta have that funk!

I don’t recall. I thought he stopped posting for awhile and briefly came back around the end of the year. I’m sure he’s doing good.

I was curious, is anybody else a bit uncomfortable with how smoothly the term "______-industrial complex" has reinserted itself into our vocabulary? I don't mean to say it's wrong to criticize the converging interests and how those relationships might encourage corrupt or aggressive behavior, but it's thrown around too uncritically and taken for granted when used. I detect a twinge and a reluctance to interject from people who would be critical of its use.

I don't understand what you are saying. I've only seen "-industrial complex" to refer to the military-industrial complex, which I think is very reall and presents a very interesting soft spot in liberal democracy. It's one of the only areas where a "deep state" is both a real and relevant phenomenon. As far as the terminology and its ambiguity, I think that's kind of necessary.

I don't understand what you are saying. I've only seen "-industrial complex" to refer to the military-industrial complex, which I think is very reall and presents a very interesting soft spot in liberal democracy. It's one of the only areas where a "deep state" is both a real and relevant phenomenon. As far as the terminology and its ambiguity, I think that's kind of necessary.
Type 'prison i' into google. People have started using 'medical-industrial complex' in recent years too.

Type 'prison i' into google. People have started using 'medical-industrial complex' in recent years too.

Oh, right. Okay, I have heard that first one. Not the second one, though, and I'm not sure I see it as a real thing.

Oh, right. Okay, I have heard that first one. Not the second one, though, and I'm not sure I see it as a real thing.
I guess it's just that a lot of liberals are shoehorning conspiracy theory talk into the bigger convo and I don't like it. The trend of populism will only increase this sort of powerless grievance talk. On the flip side I was pleased that candidates' rhetoric was the opposite of CT crap, it was pretty incisive and specific, addressing structural problems as if we can actually fix them, rather than hunt for them with flashlights in the shadows.

Worst tour I've ever taken out (and I've done private tours for bachelorette parties.)

The people visiting NOLA in the Summer.... 75% are fucking garbage humans.

A 2 hour tour. This family brought a crying baby. The baby cried for 2 hours and they had the fucking audacity to not tip.

I usually make 80-100 a night plus 70-100 in tips. It's a solid side hustle. That fucking baby made like ten people leave.

I made $100 tonight for two hours bullshit after 8 hours of bullshit. Granted $250 a day is nice but I swear to God I almost punched that fucking child.

Remember to moisturize everyone. The skin needs to nourished to maintain the tightness we all deserve....

Not a motorcycle fan or so, but I wonder if this thing has the potential to hurt Harley Davidson.

bmw-concept-r18.jpg

Apologies to anybody whose posts got eaten

Last edited:
@Lead @Ruprecht

If you could please restore the thread's condition that would be lovely and appreciated.

Last edited:
I always miss the meltdowns.
There weren't any meltdown posts- somebody anonymously edited a different post into the OP, edited the title and poll, and deleted a bunch of posts.

Last edited:
Same here.

Feels bad man
I was looking forward to a drama-free thread this time. When there's drama these things go by really fast, and I'm always running out of poll/theme/poem ideas. The Count Chocula quotes, however, are always in stiff supply.

Hah! Calm your farm. A post was reported for being an off topic derail so I moved it to the lounge, not realising the thread was newer than the post.
I guess Yorkist took advantage of being the OP to change the title and poll.
What were the originals?
That shouldn't have moved or deleted any posts though.

He seems terribly unprepared, and while my opinion of him has gone up a bit (I think he's a brilliant person), his proposals are too disorganized and shallow, and some have deep problems like his News and Information Ombudsman, which may be unconstitutional and at least problematic for the free press. That's not to say he shouldn't be in the next administration, but he is not ready to be the head executive. A guy with no experience in government has to be amazing basically across the board.
I think everybody, including him, knows this.
He is just running for president as a way to get publicity and a lesser role in the near future. He can check the places where he gets the most votes and run for congress there or try a job in a future Democratic administration.
While we waste our lives in MMA forums.

Nobody does, that's the thing. The automation argument for UBI infers that at some point we'll all be sitting on our asses while the machines do everything (like in Wall-E) and all but the highest skilled labor will not exist anymore. Even if that could theoretically happen, that's not something really foreseeable for our lifetime, nor that of the next generation.

Technological advances do kill some jobs but never in history have they not also enabled the creation of jobs that wouldn't be possible without them or made existing jobs more productive. While I don't think this is enough to reject the automation argument wholesale (that line of reasoning falls victim to the uniformity principle), the whole point of innovation is that it breaks new ground. If we could predict right now changes in how labor is employed, those changes wouldn't really be innovation, would they? If anything the uncertainty is an argument against "jobs no longer exist so here's free money", not for it.

Minor point but I think calling it "the freedom dividend" is demagoguery at its finest.
He is a politician, not an academic. He needs some catch phrases.
"Yes, we can" We can what exactly, Obama?
"Build a wall" Where's the damn wall?
You can call it how you want but some changes are predictable. I predict that in 20 years fruit pickers will be mostly obsolete because the machines already exist they just need to be less damaging to fruits and cheaper.
There will be new jobs but they will require a level of knowledge not present in a large segment of the population.
I do agree some people are too optimistic about it. Do not expect Wall-E, or the Singularity, anytime soon.
Regardless of all these considerations I find the idea of rich people paying VAT on yachts to give people $1000 very interesting. I do believe it could be restricted to the poor or to (responsible) parents.

Hah! Calm your farm. A post was reported for being an off topic derail so I moved it to the lounge, not realising the thread was newer than the post.
I guess Yorkist took advantage of being the OP to change the title and poll.
What were the originals?
That shouldn't have moved or deleted any posts though.
I plead a healthy dose of paranoia and an unhealthy dose of cheese.

Where's the dunce cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back