War Room Lounge v151: Between drinking and burning, I don't need another vice in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
60s ruled over all
<Moyes5>
growing up in NY was awesome
mets from worst to first to win the WS
Jets with Namath winning the SB as the underdog

hippies, woodstock.
don't forget Kennedy.
*grassy knoll time warp

Best '80s movies:

1. Big Trouble in Little China
2. Princess Bride
3. Amadeus
4. Karate Kid
5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
6. Blue Velvet
7. Beverly Hills Cop
8. Aliens
9. This is Spinal Tap
10. A Fish Called Wanda

Some great movies, including some not mentioned, but overall weak decade IMO.
Yeah the music and movies are interesting and lots of classics there. Politically it was just ineffectual people being slowly rolled over by the Christian right and pretending communism was over. It was neat that Germany got its country back for sure. I bet the 80s in Europe was a hell of a time, for Europe.

lol what? Didn't think that was sandy, but that generation doesn't seem to be defined by anything, and also there isn't much history watershed stuff, and mostly they just seem lost and boring. I don't associate the generation with anything in particular.

Cold War / MAD
AIDS
Reagan / assassination attempt
Berlin Wall falls
Challenger exploisi9n
Exxon Valdez
Birth of cable news
Hostages from Iran
Iran contra
John Lennon murdered
Punk to hair bands to prince to mj
Well street crash
Polish shipyard strike
Video arcades
Pope assassination attempt
Sarah day Connor
The PC
Perestroika

Last edited:
Wtf is this, Canadian Clockwork Orange?
Bro have you not seen it? It's so fucking good. Good punk movies are generally hard to find but Suburbia was legendary. SLC Punk came out and we all loved it but pretended we hated it lol.

Hey @irish_thug you fuck with The Transplants? That's some good Mid 2000s aggro music that really fit in with the Friends Don't Let Friends Fight Alone mentality. Skinhead Rob brought that aggro while Tim Armstrong brought that..way he sings.

60s ruled over all
<Moyes5>
growing up in NY was awesome
mets from worst to first to win the WS
Jets with Namath winning the SB as the underdog

hippies, woodstock.
don't forget Kennedy.
*grassy knoll time warp
Don't forget Bernie Sanders and the CRM.
D6CYK6KCDVFZPMQU53NRJ4GN24.jpg

bernie-sanders-selma.jpg

....I'm still butthurt about Biden.

lol Bernie should have stayed with his uncle, the Colonel
but he was a scrawny chicken

So fucking jealous. Henry Rollins during his storytelling days used to have a long story about his feud with Iggy Pop and talked about kicking the Cures flowerpots off the stage in Germany lol. It's funny the two people who influenced my stand up perhaps the most weren't comedians. Henry Rollins with his live storytelling, and John Leguizamo with his HBO Freak Talks.

It's funny, even with stand up I still have to keep my mic cord wrapped around my hand because I came into stand up with a punk rock singer background.

Did you get into Bloodflowers or the S/T album? Listening to Disintegration though? Jesus what an album. Listening to Disintegration is like standing outside of a party in the cold by yourself wondering if you're willing to fall in love with the girl that likes The Smiths you just started talking to you. Just an absolutely timeless album.

Robert Smith with Blink 182 tho?

Funny enough as someone who always hated Blink 182, that album was really really good (the one with I Miss You on it)

Oh Cro Mags, there is something so beautiful about youthful hatred. Cro Mags went fucking hard. I've recommended American Hardcore on here a few times but seriously, it's a must watch. The death of Hardcore around 1986 affected almost all rock music.

"If you're looking at radicalism in the 1980s you should look at Hardcore."

Ya Rollins is another gem , especially in the early days

I've listened to bloodflowers but I wouldn't say I've gotten into it , these days I'm more likely to listen to old school Cure

I really like the music Robert Smith has made with other bands , love the track he did with Crystal Castles,and the Blink , I hope he does a song with Gorillaz at some point .

I'll check out the death of hardcore

John Joseph has had some great conversations on the Rich Roll podcast
https://www.richroll.com/podcast/rr...ior-ironman-triathlete-plantpower-iconoclast/

" I love this guy. It’s rare to meet someone so raw; real and authentic. Unafraid of life and certainly not shy when it comes to speaking his mind. And in this interview he lays his truth bare. With John, what you see and hear is exactly who he is. And his message — and life lessons — are amongst the most powerful I have ever heard."

Worth checking out

Bro have you not seen it? It's so fucking good. Good punk movies are generally hard to find but Suburbia was legendary. SLC Punk came out and we all loved it but pretended we hated it lol.

Hey @irish_thug you fuck with The Transplants? That's some good Mid 2000s aggro music that really fit in with the Friends Don't Let Friends Fight Alone mentality. Skinhead Rob brought that aggro while Tim Armstrong brought that..way he sings.

Don't forget Bernie Sanders and the CRM.
D6CYK6KCDVFZPMQU53NRJ4GN24.jpg

bernie-sanders-selma.jpg

....I'm still butthurt about Biden.

QTAOQ3HGQNBVZG2YVANS3EUOBQ.jpg

So fucking jealous. Henry Rollins during his storytelling days used to have a long story about his feud with Iggy Pop and talked about kicking the Cures flowerpots off the stage in Germany lol. It's funny the two people who influenced my stand up perhaps the most weren't comedians. Henry Rollins with his live storytelling, and John Leguizamo with his HBO Freak Talks.

It's funny, even with stand up I still have to keep my mic cord wrapped around my hand because I came into stand up with a punk rock singer background.

Did you get into Bloodflowers or the S/T album? Listening to Disintegration though? Jesus what an album. Listening to Disintegration is like standing outside of a party in the cold by yourself wondering if you're willing to fall in love with the girl that likes The Smiths you just started talking to you. Just an absolutely timeless album.

Robert Smith with Blink 182 tho?

Funny enough as someone who always hated Blink 182, that album was really really good (the one with I Miss You on it)

Oh Cro Mags, there is something so beautiful about youthful hatred. Cro Mags went fucking hard. I've recommended American Hardcore on here a few times but seriously, it's a must watch. The death of Hardcore around 1986 affected almost all rock music.

"If you're looking at radicalism in the 1980s you should look at Hardcore."

hardcore was killed by speed metal imo, I preferred grindy or melodic stuff way more.

lol Bernie should have stayed with his uncle, the Colonel
but he was a scrawny chicken
BMXkoR.gif

Ya Rollins is another gem , especially in the early days

I've listened to bloodflowers but I wouldn't say I've gotten into it , these days I'm more likely to listen to old school Cure

I really like the music Robert Smith has made with other bands , love the track he did with Crystal Castles,and the Blink , I hope he does a song with Gorillaz at some point .

I'll check out the death of hardcore

John Joseph has had some great conversations on the Rich Roll podcast
https://www.richroll.com/podcast/rr...ior-ironman-triathlete-plantpower-iconoclast/

" I love this guy. It’s rare to meet someone so raw; real and authentic. Unafraid of life and certainly not shy when it comes to speaking his mind. And in this interview he lays his truth bare. With John, what you see and hear is exactly who he is. And his message — and life lessons — are amongst the most powerful I have ever heard."

Worth checking out
Bro. I've been upset by the lack of Robert Smith performing with the Gorillaz since Demon Days. They would be perfect together. Also with Julian Casablancas. The Strokes and The Killers do not get enough respect for their albums. I'll listen to more John Joseph stuff, I was always more interested in Harley Flanigan in Cro Mags, dude was insane. Bit off a dudes finger I believe.

hardcore was killed by speed metal imo, I preferred grindy or melodic stuff way more.
What year did speed metal really take over though? Genuinely asking, I pretty much fucking hate metal. Metal always seemed like bubblegum hatred. I always considered the death of hardcore and the rise of speed metal to happen due to people leaving the Hardcore scene after outgrowing the violence.

Love the transplants. Saw them on the warped tour with dropkicks and big D.
How were they live? I got drunk with Big D and Dropkick Murphys when they were on tour together. The girl who sings in the Dirty Glass got onstage with them and was the sweetest woman. I was obviously awe struck and in love as a young Okie punk.

I don't think I've asked, what are your favorite live bands?

There's a BLM group with a loudspeaker right now trying super hard to convince people to stop attacking the fence. A rival POC lady with a louder, eh, loudspeaker is saying the opposite (she is not from BLM) and the crowd is eating it up. 99% sure she is from the group that lit the bonfire the other day.

Welp. Time to hit the blunt and the livestream.

You talking about dude in the orange hat lecturing the Wish version of G Eazy?

Dunno who you mean, but this chick just completely co-opted the gathering. Like, it took maybe 2 minutes. The BLM people specifically said she isn't from BLM and she just started her crowd chanting it anyway. And now people are throwing shit.
Absolutely maddening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back