War Room Lounge v151: Between drinking and burning, I don't need another vice in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawlty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cheers to @Grave Buster for the thread title

v148
v149
v150

Mod Note: This thread is for general conversation and any other conversations to avoid derails in regular threads. If you find yourself going off topic in a thread, please quote the person's post, come in here, click "insert quote" and continue on in here. This is also still the War Room. Do not expect OT/Bare Knuckles rules in here.

The Breakfast Club was a really important movie for an entire generation wasn't it?
Hopefully not, wtf. I'm a little young for that one but people close to 50 maybe? They don't really seem to have an identity.

The Breakfast Club was a really important movie for an entire generation wasn't it?

It was much better than St. Elmo's Fire.

cIjMBWo.jpg

It was just the crown Prince of "teen angst" movies for it's generation. It pushed some boundaries for the time, but it's really nothing all that special.

"Kids" really outdid it a generation later, in terms of lifting the veil off and tackling/exposing some real issues within that sphere.

Definitely was. My 10th grade English teacher had us watch the Breakfast Club in class, and then gave us an assignment to write a short story about how we imagined the following Monday at the characters' school would go. You think Judd Nelson and Molly Ringwald stayed together? You think they were cool with Anthony Michael Hall's nerdy ass?

Years later, I realized she had us do it because she probably grew up with that movie and fantasized endlessly about how the story progressed after the movie ended. We were all writing fan fiction for her, basically.

Hopefully not, wtf. I'm a little young for that one but people close to 50 maybe? They don't really seem to have an identity.
ThErE iS nO sUcH tHiNg As WhItE cUlTuRe
It was much better than St. Elmo's Fire.

cIjMBWo.jpg
Let's just say John Hughes was a very influential filmmaker and leave it at that

The one friggin time I'm not feeling like a nihilist and this is what I get.

Also @Fawlty Elizabeth it was a coming of age tale for people in the 80s right? The characters, while archetypes, at least gave just about every group at the time. It also portrayed the struggles of each group, the insecurities, the teenage existentialism we were all confronted with in a way that's ultimately timeless but perfect for the era.

Also the only reason I'm feeling nostalgic is the fact The Cure just said they're going to release their saddest album ever and Robert Smith IS NOT aging well and then I saw this.

It was just the crown Prince of "teen angst" movies for it's generation. It pushed some boundaries for the time, but it's really nothing all that special.

"Kids" really outdid it a generation later, in terms of lifting the veil off and tackling/exposing some real issues within that sphere.
That's very true. Pretty in Pink was more "fun" but I feel like it also captured that era of teenage anxiety. I for the life of me remember what Sixteen Candles was about but I remember it being brought up constantly as a good movie.

The one friggin time I'm not feeling like a nihilist and this is what I get.

Also @Fawlty Elizabeth it was a coming of age tale for people in the 80s right? The characters, while archetypes, at least gave just about every group at the time. It also portrayed the struggles of each group, the insecurities, the teenage existentialism we were all confronted with in a way that's ultimately timeless but perfect for the era.

Also the only reason I'm feeling nostalgic is the fact The Cure just said they're going to release their saddest album ever and Robert Smith IS NOT aging well and then I saw this.

That's very true. Pretty in Pink was more "fun" but I feel like it also captured that era of teenage anxiety. I for the life of me remember what Sixteen Candles was about but I remember it being brought up constantly as a good movie.

Kids of course removes the bubblegum

I like the Breakfast Club.

I recently saw St. Elmo's Fire and it was pretty bad and that caught me off guard because it seems to always get mentioned with The Breakfast Club as one of the big 80s coming of age movies.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High might be the GOAT of the 80s for those types of movies.

Porky's is pretty great too

Ally Sheedy and Judd Nelson...

two for the wtf ever happened to them file
judd-nelson-breakfast-club.jpg

cbdc044a8a1afd7e025a7b59e4ab73c0.jpg

Time is cruel
Don't trust it.

How did the sand get in your vag ?
lol what? Didn't think that was sandy, but that generation doesn't seem to be defined by anything, and also there isn't much history watershed stuff, and mostly they just seem lost and boring. I don't associate the generation with anything in particular.

It's the John Hughes aura. Everyone knows that "16 Candles" is a movie. You'll be hard pressed to find many who know what it's all about, though.

Kids of course removes the bubblegum

Yep. The 90's basically took the torch and ran with it. They weren't "pushing boundaries" like the Hughes movies. They operated as if there were no boundaries. It was a natural evolution. Now, unfortunately, we're going backwards. Real shit is too real. Everyone needs to be a caricature again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back