War Room Lounge v151: Between drinking and burning, I don't need another vice in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much happened in the eighties that it's hard to point to any one thing , the sixties had JFK and hippies , the seventies had the Vietnam war and Watergate but make no mistake the eighties was a fantastic decade for movies and music and had massive cultural political shifts taking place

You are way off base on this one
I think he's wanting another wall of text about the impacts of the punk rock/goth scene of the 1980s and the influences we feel today, because I'm baked and I've been listening to Black Flag and I'm willing to fall on that sword.

I think he's wanting another wall of text about the impacts of the punk rock/goth scene of the 1980s and the influences we feel today, because I'm baked and I've been listening to Black Flag and I'm willing to fall on that sword.
Throw in some Cromags , John Joseph is one cool mofo , they broke the mold with that guy .

Top Gun
Beetlejuice
The Shining
Back to the Future
Airplane
Bill and Teds Excellent thing
movies killed in the 80s.

as well as music IMO.
Depeche Mode
Human League
Modern English
Duran Duran
Echo and the Bunnymen
Flock of Seagulls and on and on...

killer decade

Top Gun
Beetlejuice
The Shining
Back to the Future
Airplane
Bill and Teds Excellent thing
movies killed in the 80s.

as well as music IMO.
Depeche Mode
Human League
Modern English
Duran Duran
Echo and the Bunnymen
Flock of Seagulls and on and on...

killer decade
I even like mullets.

80’s hair was a lot more intense than today’s hair. A lot more daring. People today are absolute cowards, hairwise, including myself.

sddefault.jpg

God yes

I saw the cure in 91 , the Disintegration your , absolutely amazing live act

But ya I was just saying to the wife the other day he has not aged well
So fucking jealous. Henry Rollins during his storytelling days used to have a long story about his feud with Iggy Pop and talked about kicking the Cures flowerpots off the stage in Germany lol. It's funny the two people who influenced my stand up perhaps the most weren't comedians. Henry Rollins with his live storytelling, and John Leguizamo with his HBO Freak Talks.

It's funny, even with stand up I still have to keep my mic cord wrapped around my hand because I came into stand up with a punk rock singer background.

Did you get into Bloodflowers or the S/T album? Listening to Disintegration though? Jesus what an album. Listening to Disintegration is like standing outside of a party in the cold by yourself wondering if you're willing to fall in love with the girl that likes The Smiths you just started talking to you. Just an absolutely timeless album.

Robert Smith with Blink 182 tho?

Funny enough as someone who always hated Blink 182, that album was really really good (the one with I Miss You on it)

Throw in some Cromags , John Joseph is one cool mofo , they broke the mold with that guy .
Oh Cro Mags, there is something so beautiful about youthful hatred. Cro Mags went fucking hard. I've recommended American Hardcore on here a few times but seriously, it's a must watch. The death of Hardcore around 1986 affected almost all rock music.

"If you're looking at radicalism in the 1980s you should look at Hardcore."

Best '80s movies:

1. Big Trouble in Little China
2. Princess Bride
3. Amadeus
4. Karate Kid
5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
6. Blue Velvet
7. Beverly Hills Cop
8. Aliens
9. This is Spinal Tap
10. A Fish Called Wanda

Some great movies, including some not mentioned, but overall weak decade IMO.

I even like mullets.
I've had a mohawk/mullet most my life, I cut it off when I was trying to "be an adult" but I miss it and I'll probably get it back. When I was younger I used to split my mohawk down the middle and dye each side different colors. So when you looked at my mohawk from one side it was red and from the other side it was black. (lets not get into the meaning of those colors.) I miss my mullet :(

You know what band DOES NOT get enough credit though? The B-52s. They are very clearly an influence on my favorite band no one's ever heard of is called The New Black, this song was featured on a sampler CD for an indie punk zine I got in the mail and I had to call their indie label to order this CD because I fucking loved it so much.

What do you think about this?

By the way, can we all agree that people that listen to music without good headphones are fucking monsters?

It was just the crown Prince of "teen angst" movies for it's generation. It pushed some boundaries for the time, but it's really nothing all that special.

"Kids" really outdid it a generation later, in terms of lifting the veil off and tackling/exposing some real issues within that sphere.

was that the “don’t worry it’s just me” while he bangs the sleeping girl with aids? Yeah another level

So much happened in the eighties that it's hard to point to any one thing , the sixties had JFK and hippies , the seventies had the Vietnam war and Watergate but make no mistake the eighties was a fantastic decade for movies and music and had massive cultural political shifts taking place

You are way off base on this one
Why are you so defensive about the 80s? This isn't a war or anything. I'm not seeing it though. There wasn't much going on besides people not knowing what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back