War Room Lounge v151: Between drinking and burning, I don't need another vice in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
EHUzw1D.jpg
I'm not sure why this is funny.

@danny23 I'm 30. Time has always been running out. But, that doesn't mean you need to feel chased by it. You do what you can with the time you have, dish out some street justice here and there and retire old and confused.

LOL at the 30-something "old" people ITT. FFS.
<209Bitch>

Come talk to me when you have to get a painful test every couple of years to make sure that whatever that is doesn't turn into cancer. Or I will even settle for putting your back out for a few days each year just from bending over. Good times.

No offense guys--I know it's not supposed to be all that serious a topic. So yeah, getting old sucks donkey dick and I think we need to look hard for a cure.

LOL at the 30-something "old" people ITT. FFS.
<209Bitch>

Come talk to me when you have to get a painful test every couple of years to make sure that whatever that is doesn't turn into cancer. Or I will even settle for putting your back out for a few days each year just from bending over. Good times.

No offense guys--I know it's not supposed to be all that serious a topic. So yeah, getting old sucks donkey dick and I think we need to look hard for a cure.
This guy just got his dickhole fingered by the doctor looking for tumors, let's not judge too harshly.

It's natural. It's possible/likely you'll always feel that way. But in the end you'll have achieved more for it.

Always in a hurry, you need to settle down Danny. You can't outrun life, where you gonna go?

Wise words from both.
I’m anxious about the future. I thought becoming an adult would come with so many freedoms but it has also come with an equal burden of responsibilities. My parents gave me a very easy life so I wasn’t prepared being independent.

No matter your age time *is* running out. Better to internalize this sooner rather than later imo. Didn't hit me until about 31.

For me it was last year, 10 years before the age you realized, when I graduated. At that moment I noticed I’m no longer a student. I have to grow up and make a change because the fun times I had prior to that are over. Or the future would be difficult.

The moment I first realized I was old was my first two day hangover. Talk about a fucking slap in the face. I used to be able to drink anything, have a fatty breakfast and be ready to go again by lunch. Not so any more.

I have this theory that, apart from bad decision making and impulse control and all that, alcoholics have been blessed/cursed with an unusually high ability to digest alcohol.

Every drunk I know has very slight, sometimes imperceptible hangovers. So going hard in the paint for 2, 3, 4 nights in a row isn't a big deal.

I know I'd be a much bigger drunk if it wasn't for my hangovers. They were pretty bad even when I was in my prime but now they're death. Even 4-5 beers has me feeling shitty the next morning.

Despite years of Donald Trump's un-presidential, perhaps even criminal behavior, many, if not most of his supporters remain unable and/or unwilling to recognize and condemn his flawed character and incompetence while continuing to maintain their "justifiable outrage" at being deemed "deplorables" by Hillary Clinton. Yet, though I have to admit moments of profound frustration and disillusionment, I am committed to remaining optimistic (at least somewhat), to looking for the best in people, and embracing the Socratic thesis that no human being does wrong intentionally but rather, as a consequence of ignorance or misinformation.

As a philosopher in the Socratic tradition and educator, I recognize and accept my responsibility to engage in discussion with people of diverse social and political positions, the purpose of which is not to win arguments or to persuade others of my point of view, but rather, through give and take—dialectic—to seek truth from which we all can benefit. Such a process, to be successful, requires that interlocutors have an open mind, that they be free (as much as humanly possible) of bias and prejudice, that they be willing to LISTEN, to use and to follow reason, and, most importantly, to go wherever the argument leads.

Sadly, in political discussions with ardent Trump supporters, I have, in the vast majority of cases, found them unwilling and/or incapable, for whatever the reason, of engaging honestly and sincerely in such a process. When presented with information substantiating Donald Trump's incompetent, vile, and erratic behavior, a common reaction has been to dismiss such occurrences as "fake news." Even when confronted with Trump's own words and video of his actions ("pussy" talk, demeaning the disabled, engaging prostitutes, making unsubstantiated accusations against victims of police brutality, etc.), they ignore it completely, characterize it as "a regurgitation of ad hominem attacks," something of which I have been personally accused, and/or excuse it by claiming that no one is perfect. Trump himself has arrogantly boasted about his Svengali influence over, and hence the "loyalty" of his supporters, when he noted that he could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue and not lose voters.

These "supporters," while claiming to be patriots and good Christians, are so stubbornly committed to Trump, that they are quick to demean any government/military official or religious leader, even former Trump officials and the Pope, who felt morally and patriotically compelled to speak truth to power. Even what has traditionally been regarded as the most sacrosanct of government agencies such as the FBI, CIA, and other intelligence agencies, in doing their job, have been discredited as agents of the deep state engaged in some conspiracy to "dethrone" him from power.

I am confident that these observations regarding Trump supporters are not, as some have accused me, the consequence of political bias or an academic elitism. Nor am I trying to convince those who may have a different political/moral opinion that mine is the only correct way of thinking. Rather, my argument expresses my disappointment and dismay that otherwise seemingly intelligent and sincere individuals have, at least in the vast majority of cases, for reasons I have yet to understand, been so mesmerized by Trump and rendered incapable of critical thought, that they continue to enthusiastically support him even as he continues to make scientifically unsubstantiated claims about the deadly pandemic or boasts about shooting someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue.

While I will not allow our differences and my frustration to morph into disgust even hatred, sadly, my philosophical patience has been depleted, and I will no longer engage such individuals as continued dialogue is futile. As a consequence of this experience, however, I am inclined, sadly, to question the validity of Socrates' intuition about humankind, possibly even my decision to dismiss Clinton's characterization of Trump's supporters.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/08/02/futile-dialogue-what-would-socrates-do

Yeah, the problem is that not everyone is playing the same game. Some people recognize that their perceptions don't necessarily or even usually reflect objective reality and thus that we should rely on tools like logic, and systematic data collection, and rules for processing data, etc. That same thinking can be applied to the moral realm. "My ancestors taught me to only eat after the sun drops on a night with a full moon, but Zog says that it is wicked to eat at that hour." Some people are going to be confronted with that and think, "We should kill Zog to suppress his evil doctrine," and others think, "hmm, maybe Zog is right. How do we know?"

On a message board, there's no killing, but I think the idea is the same. No one actually thinks that it's objectively true that, say, Trump had any positive impact on the economy, but they think that asserting it gives their tribe power. And if you say, "well, it's look at what actions he has taken that might be expected to impact the economy (that is, let's consider the possibility that both claims might be true but one is closer to the truth)," and you then conclude that, no, he didn't, people in the first group just see it as a fancier way of trying to enhance the power of your tribe. The two mindsets aren't fundamentally incompatible. That doesn't apply to all Trump supporters, and obviously not all opponents think like that, but that kind of discussion comes up a lot.

Dem master race Cuban genes come through again....damn that’s a load off

5BDC1501-0E14-422E-B4A6-D3C1237F0A0B_30.jpeg

Happy to also say I just welcomed my first bouncy beautiful 8lb anti-communist to the family. Now 2020 is the best year of my life

Congratulations!

For me it was last year, 10 years before the age you realized, when I graduated. At that moment I noticed I’m no longer a student. I have to grow up and make a change because the fun times I had prior to that are over. Or the future would be difficult.

Ahh I see what you mean. I actually had that revelation around the same time. Probably 24/25 (this intersects my post to @Gregolian because it was the mushrooms that did it). I thought you were talking about the internalization of death. Intellectually I always understood that I was going to die one day. But it wasn't until about 31 that the door in my brain really opened, and it was no longer a theoretical concept. It's something I actively think about when making decisions. Decisions like when a bartender asks "would you like another?" or "how much insurance would you like?" In my 20's, the respective answers would've been "yes" and "no". Now they're swapped.

This makes sense. You see, only black people in GA smoke pot.

I don't know you but congrats. I'm jealous. I've got a fever, and the only prescription is little clones of me.

haha I don’t know if it was the rona...well yeah it was the rona that made the experience a lot less satisfying. We wanted to try for a girl right off the bat but now I think we will wait a little and see how things are going

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back