Media Volk's coach disses Sambo

Erik Paulson said he learned that grip in Scotland from their national judo team In the early 90s and taught all his fighters it
Paulson learned from everyone: catch wrestling from Pancrase guys, Gracie JJ way before most others (starting like 1987), a variety of strking styles from Muay Thai to the exotic ones.

Most of the submissions you see today in UFC were invented by Dan Severn, who was a world class wrestler, but not a BJJ guy. Because he invented all the chokes and locks with the palm to palm grip, no one was ever doing it like that before, they were all using the hand on the bicep for the chokes. A lot of fighters nowadays use the palm to palm grip when choking and it all comes from Severn, not Royce or any other BJJ person. It was unheard of until Severn came in. He used to train with Gable and he used it all over the world before MMA in his thousands of wrestling matches in Russia and Turkey and Bulgaria etc etc.

I've seen this Jones guy use palm to palm for a choke before, and thats hilarious to me, that is not from BJJ, its from Dan Severn. He wouldn't have a clue about it though
Interesting. Severn trained with Mark Tripp (whose brother Ron beat Rickson in sambo) after his loss to Royce. Tripp was more of a Japanese JJ/judo guy who watched early NHB and kind of adapted his style to that. Tripp was active on the early AOL NHB boards and talked on there about training Severn. That may be where he learned that. Apparently he still teaches some classes and seminars based on a quick online search.

Here's an interesting article he wrote years ago about styles, fads and "selling the dream" in marital arts:
Repost: Selling The Dream | Martial Arts Planet

Last edited:
I've found the bjj guys to be better off their back, but the wrestling/top control element of sambo is what makes it better in MMA, though they share nearly all the same techniques/fundamentals.
Best answer here. All the tech is the same, the Sambo guys just came up doing what is essentially Russian mma so they focused on the control and wrestling aspects.

Most of the submissions you see today in UFC were invented by Dan Severn, who was a world class wrestler, but not a BJJ guy. Because he invented all the chokes and locks with the palm to palm grip, no one was ever doing it like that before, they were all using the hand on the bicep for the chokes. A lot of fighters nowadays use the palm to palm grip when choking and it all comes from Severn, not Royce or any other BJJ person. It was unheard of until Severn came in. He used to train with Gable and he used it all over the world before MMA in his thousands of wrestling matches in Russia and Turkey and Bulgaria etc etc.

I've seen this Jones guy use palm to palm for a choke before, and thats hilarious to me, that is not from BJJ, its from Dan Severn. He wouldn't have a clue about it though

He learned & applied those in MMA through training/watching BJJ guys

Those same wrestlers were fished outta water back in the early days in the guard of BJJ guys

Every art in dangerous in the hands of the right practitioner. Not buying Sambo is ineffective…Jones is wrong on this one.
I find it weird and sort of insecure how some people feel the need to belittle other martial arts to boost their own.

At the end of the day it is usually the fighter more than the method they train, and a good dedicated fighter will find their way using whichever paths are available to them. Every discipline has something to offer.

Craig Jones is an absolute bellend just like his former lover Gordan Ryan

No doubt these guys love to "roll" off the matt
He has some pretty good books out there

CraigJones_PowerBottom_CoverFRONT_1024x1024.jpg

CraigJones_JustStandUp_CoverFRONT.jpg

Volk’s team has been talking so much shit since their boy lost unanimously, they just can’t take it. Islam will smash him this time and get a finish.

Inshallah

He seems like a fucking idiot.

Nah, just a massive troll. He knows sambo is effective for mma in comparison to pure bjj and yet, he couldn't do much when Islam took Volk's back.

He's correct. The takedowns are Judo and the submissions are Jiu Jitsu. Sambo is just a mixed sport like catch wrestling but it's not an actual martial art in itself. I'd also add, Sambo guys are pretty easy. I come across them all the time and they're very physical and explosive but tend to severely lack in their technique. There's nothing insecure about what Craig Jones stated. It's just objective truth.

Honestly anyone that’s trained with Sambo guys knows this is true.
Leo viera taught Khabib his leg lace tech that he uses in mma

A. Dumb
B. If Sambo isn't real how are they gonna kill it

As a general rule it's best to assume that 90% of what Craig is saying at any given time is him trolling or poking fun at someone or something. The other 10% is really thoughtful, nuanced discussion about BJJ or grappling for MMA... with a hefty subtext of trolling lol

He's correct. The takedowns are Judo and the submissions are Jiu Jitsu. Sambo is just a mixed sport like catch wrestling but it's not an actual martial art in itself. I'd also add, Sambo guys are pretty easy. I come across them all the time and they're very physical and explosive but tend to severely lack in their technique. There's nothing insecure about what Craig Jones stated. It's just objective truth.

That's not entirely true. Sambo is a hybrid that has its historical lineage in other extant martial arts, yes, but so are a lot of other martial arts. Sambo still has/had its own gyms, its own curriculum, and its own unique historical context long before it became a sportive ruleset.

There's a sort of a grey area between style/ruleset/martial art. This has always been the case.

As a general rule it's best to assume that 90% of what Craig is saying at any given time is him trolling or poking fun at someone or something. The other 10% is really thoughtful, nuanced discussion about BJJ or grappling for MMA... with a hefty subtext of trolling lol

That's not entirely true. Sambo is a hybrid that has its historical lineage in other extant martial arts, yes, but so are a lot of other martial arts. Sambo still has/had its own gyms, its own curriculum, and its own unique historical context long before it became a sportive ruleset.

There's a sort of a grey area between style/ruleset/martial art. This has always been the case.

There's typically a bit of truth in what he says even when he trolls though. I mean, if you think of it this way: what will people train at to get best at submission grappling? BJJ, not sambo. what will people train at to get best at trips? Judo, not sambo. What will people train at to get best at wrestling?...wrestling, not sambo.

Sambo arguably isn't the best at any one aspect of mma, and if a fighter wants to get good at something for mma, he is likely not to go to sambo. There is a reason why the best sambo guys in the ufc also have BJJ coaches and wrestling coaches, but the best BJJ and wrestling guys don't have sambo coaches.

So asking what sambo's role actually is in mma is a decent question. It would be nice to hear craig have a more serious discussion about it sometime, but I doubt he will while coaching against a sambo guy.

Sambo has very few techniques use to it. It borrows from BJJ, judo, Greco, wrestling, etc. and combines them. It's just MMA.

They do have a pretty standard training style, though.

ITT sherdoggers mad when someone else shitposts.

Sure, of course... Volk's coach is right. Sambo is bad. Dagestanis should switch to Rugby...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back