Media Volk's coach disses Sambo

Luckyme

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Some of these BJJ guys come across as really insecure about their martial art. Craig Jones sounds like he's parroting Gracie propaganda from the 90s.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023...n-says-alexander-volkanovski-kills-sambo-myth

Craig Jones thinks Alexander Volkanovski puts an end to Sambo at UFC 294.

Volkanovski (26-2 MMA, 13-1 UFC) will step in on less than two weeks’ notice to rematch lightweight champion Islam Makhachev (24-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC) next Saturday, Oct. 21 in Abu Dhabi.

Jones, a multiple-time IBJJF world championship medalist and 2019 ADCC runner up, isn’t sold on Sambo as a martial art, and hopes Volkanovski proves how ineffective it is by beating Makhachev.

“It makes him a man that disproved Sambo, and that will trump his legacy in the sport because we’ve wasted another martial art,” Jones told Submission Radio. “Most martial arts were killed in 1993. Somehow, Sambo has limped and lingered on to 2023. So Volkanovski kills Sambo, and we get to stop hearing about this Russian dancer.”

Jones received criticism for claiming that Makhachev doesn’t have good submissions, and thinks their first fight proved it. Makhachev had more than seven minutes of control time on Volkanovski at UFC 284, but wasn’t able to submit him. He won the fight by unanimous decision.

“The last fight, we spent a ton of time on submission defense,” Jones said. “Obviously, that’s a waste of time because as we learned, Islam doesn’t know any submissions. He just holds on to the back for 20 minutes. This time, we’ll probably get out of the body triangle. There was no submission threat at all, so Volk was just chilling, getting energy back, punching him in the head. This time, we’ll get out of that.”

Makhachev’s mentor Khabib Nurmagomedov once infamously sported a t-shirt which read, “If Sambo was easy, it would be called jiu-jitsu,” but Jones explains why he doesn’t think Sambo really exists.

“We’ve heard about catch wrestling. We’ve heard about Sambo. We’ve never seen it work,” Jones said. “If Islam gets a submission, that’s a jiu-jitsu submission. If he gets a takedown, that’s a judo takedown. If he shoots a double-leg, that’s a wrestling move. So for me, where’s Sambo? Sambo is a myth. It doesn’t exist.”

Last edited:
He's correct. The takedowns are Judo and the submissions are Jiu Jitsu. Sambo is just a mixed sport like catch wrestling but it's not an actual martial art in itself. I'd also add, Sambo guys are pretty easy. I come across them all the time and they're very physical and explosive but tend to severely lack in their technique. There's nothing insecure about what Craig Jones stated. It's just objective truth.

Volk's team sound confident ahead of this fight and baiting Makhachev to BJJ exchanges

Lol trying hard to troll. Not a bad job.
Sambo, like any other competitive sport, has rules.
Certain rules allow for certain moves. Craig Jones just unwittingly compared Sambo to MMA

Its mma Craig

“catch-wrestlers and sambo” guys sub bjj dudes quite often in mma

I would argue all nogi grappling for mma these days with so much wrestling influence is just an expanded form of “catch-wrestling” simply defined as it is, catch as can catch. Yes they steal subs form bjj but so what. They are stealing wrestling and judo moves too.

Sambo is undefeated against BJJ

stiopic-islam-makhachev.gif

- EDIT: One loss rather

Last edited:
That's some stupid shit.

BJJ guys always talk about history but don't ever seem to know history.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is little more than marketed Judo "created" by circus performing con men thugs.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu didn't create rear naked chokes, or guillotine, or armbars, or triangles...

Catch doesn't work? Sakuraba treated the poster children like whipping boys.

Islam's submission game sucks?
I guess one of the most prolific submission artists in Oliviera sucks too.

Sambo itself is just as much of a relative to judo as BJJ. But sambo guys actually respect it and don't try to claim they're some mystical genius, unique, cure all.

He may be trolling but the amount of times over the years I've heard BJJ guys say it... ugh.

P.S. Ron Tripp needs to go fuck up Rickson again.

Craig jones is bantering. Sambo fans need to relax. Either enjoy his humor, or let it go -- there's no need to get so defensive and try to logically argue with this guy lol. He's having fun.

Last edited:
He's correct. The takedowns are Judo and the submissions are Jiu Jitsu. Sambo is just a mixed sport like catch wrestling but it's not an actual martial art in itself. I'd also add, Sambo guys are pretty easy. I come across them all the time and they're very physical and explosive but tend to severely lack in their technique. There's nothing insecure about what Craig Jones stated. It's just objective truth.
okay so since you're so hardcore go win a ufc belt dork

I've found the bjj guys to be better off their back, but the wrestling/top control element of sambo is what makes it better in MMA, though they share nearly all the same techniques/fundamentals.

Back