Media Volk's coach disses Sambo

BJJ might be better than Sambo as a stand alone art but we'd never know because the disparity in conditioning is so vast Sambo guys generally end up running trains on BJJ guys. It's the same reasoning as to why wrestlers run trains on BJJ guys because the latter don't foucs on conditioning enough. Out of all the arts BJJ has the least conditioned athletes by miles. The elites BJJ guys normally have thinking so insular that they fail to evolve or round out their game because to them BJJ is the be all and end all of unarmed combat. I took BJJ for years in the early 2000s and most of the guys were so far up their own asses they couldn't see the benefit or even the viability of any other martial art. It's why the Gracies got left in the dust back in the 90s.

When it comes to grappling competition this is incorrect.We have Sambo champs and wrestlers losing to the best of the best in grappling competitions all the time. MMA it is mostly true though as the wrestlers learn BJJ defence and can punch people in the face.

It's no shame to lose to Werdum, a fighter with an excellent career.

Really?
Dude who had 15 submission wins and 1 submission loss (against best bjj-hw ever)? Fedor did fine against Big Nog, Monson and Arona.

This is your example?

I think its fucked up when Fedor's win streak is not good enough for some people. Like how high is your bar about good mma career?

He's correct. The takedowns are Judo and the submissions are Jiu Jitsu. Sambo is just a mixed sport like catch wrestling but it's not an actual martial art in itself. I'd also add, Sambo guys are pretty easy. I come across them all the time and they're very physical and explosive but tend to severely lack in their technique. There's nothing insecure about what Craig Jones stated. It's just objective truth.
{<hhh]

I guess BJJ is a myth since it stole it's submissions from Japan.

People argue that BJJ is just evolved Judo all the time tbh
Yea, Khabib got to 29-0 because his technique sucked. Asswipe.

Khabib is master of sport and a LW GOAT/P4P GOAT.
He's using wrestling, sambo, jiu jitsu and more....
His BASE is sambo and he was essentially world champ at it. That's entirely different from your average hobbyist. The same as a Judo athlete doesn't typically fair well but when you get olympians like Rousey they do work.

Some of these BJJ guys come across as really insecure about their martial art. Craig Jones sounds like he's parroting Gracie propaganda from the 90s.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023...n-says-alexander-volkanovski-kills-sambo-myth

Craig Jones thinks Alexander Volkanovski puts an end to Sambo at UFC 294.

Volkanovski (26-2 MMA, 13-1 UFC) will step in on less than two weeks’ notice to rematch lightweight champion Islam Makhachev (24-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC) next Saturday, Oct. 21 in Abu Dhabi.

Jones, a multiple-time IBJJF world championship medalist and 2019 ADCC runner up, isn’t sold on Sambo as a martial art, and hopes Volkanovski proves how ineffective it is by beating Makhachev.

“It makes him a man that disproved Sambo, and that will trump his legacy in the sport because we’ve wasted another martial art,” Jones told Submission Radio. “Most martial arts were killed in 1993. Somehow, Sambo has limped and lingered on to 2023. So Volkanovski kills Sambo, and we get to stop hearing about this Russian dancer.”

Jones received criticism for claiming that Makhachev doesn’t have good submissions, and thinks their first fight proved it. Makhachev had more than seven minutes of control time on Volkanovski at UFC 284, but wasn’t able to submit him. He won the fight by unanimous decision.

“The last fight, we spent a ton of time on submission defense,” Jones said. “Obviously, that’s a waste of time because as we learned, Islam doesn’t know any submissions. He just holds on to the back for 20 minutes. This time, we’ll probably get out of the body triangle. There was no submission threat at all, so Volk was just chilling, getting energy back, punching him in the head. This time, we’ll get out of that.”

Makhachev’s mentor Khabib Nurmagomedov once infamously sported a t-shirt which read, “If Sambo was easy, it would be called jiu-jitsu,” but Jones explains why he doesn’t think Sambo really exists.

“We’ve heard about catch wrestling. We’ve heard about Sambo. We’ve never seen it work,” Jones said. “If Islam gets a submission, that’s a jiu-jitsu submission. If he gets a takedown, that’s a judo takedown. If he shoots a double-leg, that’s a wrestling move. So for me, where’s Sambo? Sambo is a myth. It doesn’t exist.”

Meh.
I Saw plenty of “If jiu-jitsu was easy, it would be called Sambo" t-shirts going back to Pride.
BJJ and Sambo always traded barbs with each other.

And even though I never saw Sambo (not as Jones describe, I mean I never watched a Sambo competition) and I've practiced Plenty of BJJ, and know many people who lives by BJJ; I disagree with Jones.
IMHO Fedor proved Sambo was better by beating Plenty of BJJ practitioners. Obviously it was ironic that when he finally lost, it was against a BJJ guy in Werdum.

On one thing he is right though... Many martial arts lost A LOT of young people to MMA. And I think in time this trend will continue.

Sambo is just a mixed sport like catch wrestling but it's not an actual martial art in itself.
Then by your logic neither is BJJ, since it also comes from Judo. And Judo comes from Japanese Jujutsu. So is Judo not a martial art, either?

Can't wait to hear your goalpost moving excuses

Haters been saying like "HW No-Gi Sambo was not been a sport, casual viewer!"

sambochamp.png

Craig Jones is clearly more knowledge-driven than average poster and he know martial art history #verywell

My esteem coach @BoxerMaurits he teach me this style very well and teach me to secure many dominant position in bathroom brawl after spilling beer on other dutch man for fun.

Then by your logic neither is BJJ, since it also comes from Judo. And Judo comes from Japanese Jujutsu. So is Judo not a martial art, either?

Can't wait to hear your goalpost moving excuses

Many people make that argument.
Why are you so angry and rude? Especially over something you don't do and don't understand. Relax. Go get some sun today. Get outside.

Some of these BJJ guys come across as really insecure about their martial art. Craig Jones sounds like he's parroting Gracie propaganda from the 90s.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023...n-says-alexander-volkanovski-kills-sambo-myth

Craig Jones thinks Alexander Volkanovski puts an end to Sambo at UFC 294.

Volkanovski (26-2 MMA, 13-1 UFC) will step in on less than two weeks’ notice to rematch lightweight champion Islam Makhachev (24-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC) next Saturday, Oct. 21 in Abu Dhabi.

Jones, a multiple-time IBJJF world championship medalist and 2019 ADCC runner up, isn’t sold on Sambo as a martial art, and hopes Volkanovski proves how ineffective it is by beating Makhachev.

“It makes him a man that disproved Sambo, and that will trump his legacy in the sport because we’ve wasted another martial art,” Jones told Submission Radio. “Most martial arts were killed in 1993. Somehow, Sambo has limped and lingered on to 2023. So Volkanovski kills Sambo, and we get to stop hearing about this Russian dancer.”

Jones received criticism for claiming that Makhachev doesn’t have good submissions, and thinks their first fight proved it. Makhachev had more than seven minutes of control time on Volkanovski at UFC 284, but wasn’t able to submit him. He won the fight by unanimous decision.

“The last fight, we spent a ton of time on submission defense,” Jones said. “Obviously, that’s a waste of time because as we learned, Islam doesn’t know any submissions. He just holds on to the back for 20 minutes. This time, we’ll probably get out of the body triangle. There was no submission threat at all, so Volk was just chilling, getting energy back, punching him in the head. This time, we’ll get out of that.”

Makhachev’s mentor Khabib Nurmagomedov once infamously sported a t-shirt which read, “If Sambo was easy, it would be called jiu-jitsu,” but Jones explains why he doesn’t think Sambo really exists.

“We’ve heard about catch wrestling. We’ve heard about Sambo. We’ve never seen it work,” Jones said. “If Islam gets a submission, that’s a jiu-jitsu submission. If he gets a takedown, that’s a judo takedown. If he shoots a double-leg, that’s a wrestling move. So for me, where’s Sambo? Sambo is a myth. It doesn’t exist.”
Doesn't work?
1990s: Oleg Taktarov (sambo); Frank/Ken Shamrock, Sakuraba (Gracie Jiu Jitsu killer), almost everyone else from Pancrase (catch wrestling)
2000s: Fedor (sambo), Josh Barnett (catch)
2010s: Above two fighters plus Khabib (sambo)
2020 - current: lots of Dagestanis including Islam (sambo)

It's Craig Jones.... You've got to take everything he says with a grain of salt. It's part of the personality. He's a good bloke though

Most of the submissions you see today in UFC were invented by Dan Severn, who was a world class wrestler, but not a BJJ guy. Because he invented all the chokes and locks with the palm to palm grip, no one was ever doing it like that before, they were all using the hand on the bicep for the chokes. A lot of fighters nowadays use the palm to palm grip when choking and it all comes from Severn, not Royce or any other BJJ person. It was unheard of until Severn came in. He used to train with Gable and he used it all over the world before MMA in his thousands of wrestling matches in Russia and Turkey and Bulgaria etc etc.

I've seen this Jones guy use palm to palm for a choke before, and thats hilarious to me, that is not from BJJ, its from Dan Severn. He wouldn't have a clue about it though
Erik Paulson said he learned that grip in Scotland from their national judo team In the early 90s and taught all his fighters it

Reactions: mkt
I like volk, but im hoping islam destroys him just to see this guys reaction.

2 of the GOAT contenders literally got Sambo as main base Fedor/Khabib. None are BJJ. So diss Sambo as being a GREAT base for MMA is really dumb and Volk is my favorite fighter.

Who gives a fuck, I mean what's an armbar? Judo? BJJ? Catch wrestling? I don't think it matters, just don't get caught in one!

Back