Volk is finished. Topuria stops him

I don't see it. I don't see anything from topurias standup that is a threat for volk.

Confidence lost, resume tarnished, chin (skull) broken (might get koed often now)

Poor VOlk, he should have stayed in his division this time

The first fight they made made him look better because he got the distance with islam

This one might have ended his great carreer

Discuss
Nope.
He KNOWS taking that fight was a mistake.
But he won't be ready in January. Not after getting finished.
So.... Holloway Toup for interim? Ug.

He was going to lose to Topuria anyway. Both are incredible but Volk has always had too many holes in his defense for the boxing of current day Topuria (who is only improving rapidly each fight).

I don't see it. I don't see anything from topurias standup that is a threat for volk.

Aside from blocking headkicks with only one hand like most MMA fighters, Volk has a tendency to back up in a straight line leaning back, which Holloway capitalized on a bit in their 2nd fight. Topuria has long, accurate, powerful combos and catches guys who are backing up in a straight line.

It's possible, Alex is old for FW and just got KOed. Now his aura took a hit and FWs will be more confident against him. Taking this fight on short notice was a very dumb move.

khabib-alhamdulillah.gif

I was picking Ilya anyway.

That said, it’s impossible to say where Volk is at, given the circumstances of this fight. Yes, short notice means worse cardio and not enough preparation, but it also means your timing, defense may not be as sharp.

It's not even that hot of a take.

- Volk just hit 35 yo
- Will be coming off a KO 3 months prior (if he still fights in January)

Even without the KO, hard to expect many fighters to not falter once they hit 35.

If not the Topuria fight, he's likely going to lose soon.

Volk looked better than he ever has against Yair. I'm not worried about this fight

It’s tough to say. I mean if Topuria wins, I think it’s more of a credit to how good he is than Volk being done. That said, a lot of people thought Yair was the guy given how composed and slick he has been looking even in a losing effort against Max. But Volk shut him out. Topuria is a different animal stylistically but wouldn’t be surprising if Volk takes him out of his element and beats him.

Back