News Vitor Petrino VS Anthony Smith at UFC 301

Petrino looked flat against Pedro who was a guy he should’ve finished.
Smith held his own against Rountree and even had success in the fight, he also just beat Ryan Spann who’s just as physical as Petrino.

I wouldn’t hold my breath but I think Smith can win the rangy striking battle and avoid the power here for a decision. As long as Smith doesn’t look like he did against Walker he should have the tools here.
The only reason he held his own against rountree is rountree threw almost zero leg kicks which is smiths biggest weakness. And Ryan spann did the same thing, threw 3 leg kicks in 15 minutes, smith even gave him an out like he always does in the fights he’s losing but spann was too stupid to capitalise

Honestly winnable fight for Smith, Petrino looked horrible against a guy who clearly had one foot out the door. Rountree and Petrino are also worlds apart in striking, Petrino has power but that’s about it.

Anthony, it's time to focus on your commentating career full-time.

andre-the-giant-oh-no.gif

Honestly winnable fight for Smith, Petrino looked horrible against a guy who clearly had one foot out the door. Rountree and Petrino are also worlds apart in striking, Petrino has power but that’s about it.
Petrino can wrestle though, and this current version of Smith is more than willing to concede bottom position unless his opponent wanders into a sub.
Petrino looked flat against Pedro who was a guy he should’ve finished.
Smith held his own against Rountree and even had success in the fight, he also just beat Ryan Spann who’s just as physical as Petrino.

I wouldn’t hold my breath but I think Smith can win the rangy striking battle and avoid the power here for a decision. As long as Smith doesn’t look like he did against Walker he should have the tools here.
I think some of the shots Vitor caught Pedro with would drop Smith at this point tbh. Tyson's not good but the only time he got finished with strikes was in a fight he got injured in early, his refusal to open up also played a factor in the fight going the distance I think.

Spann is a good athlete but I do think he's much more sloppy than Petrino and far less durable, not to mention a basket case in terms of Fight IQ. Imo I think this will be a mauling but we'll see.

I guess i'm the only Smith fan in the world lol

Hell yeah, happy to see another teammate get good fights. 2 months after his last fight. Vitor by ko/tko.
I was surprised to see that he is bigger than Jairzinho Rozenstruik.

Petrino got his wish then. He smokes Smith, potentially finishes him.

I am done watching Anthony Smith fights. I don't need to watch him freeze and be a punching bag anymore. Even if he wins I don't want to see it.

Hey the man is getting ANOTHER main card PPV fight after his recent run - this is more proof the UFC “did him a solid” for not taking a DQ vs Jon Jones.

I mean as if his commentary and podcast aren’t bad enough, the man is guaranteed Fight Night Events or PPV main cards no matter how bad his run of form is. So I can at least respect the grift.

He’s still getting ground into chum for what little name value has left, so we got that going for us, which is nice.
As much as I like Anthony Smith as a person he should've been cut from the UFC a while ago. It's a sign of how far the 205 division has fallen. I wouldn't be surprised if Smith took a 40/40 deal just to stay in the UFC.

Smith looked terrible against rountree in their fight, the only reason he wasn’t finished is becuase rountree also looked terrible

Petrino doesn’t look like anything special skill wise, i thought he pretty clearly lost the 2nd round to Tyson Pedro who immediately retired afterwards

But he does throw leg kicks which smith is terrible at taking, and he’s fast and strong

Petrino by ko/tko

Ummm... Rountree DID finish Smith sir.

Smith looked terrible against rountree in their fight, the only reason he wasn’t finished is becuase rountree also looked terrible

Roundtree did finish Smith.

It is another young hungry wolf versus past prime veteran match up like BSD vs Poirier.
It's always interesting to see if new fighter is physical enough to beat lack of experience.
Poirier used his crafty vet experience and was calm and coldblooded during wrestling exchanges (I think thanks to training with Gamrot) to defeat Benoit who was too eager to finish early and has some holes need to be patched.

I like this pre-prime vs past prime matches.

As much as I like Anthony Smith as a person he should've been cut from the UFC a while ago. It's a sign of how far the 205 division has fallen. I wouldn't be surprised if Smith took a 40/40 deal just to stay in the UFC.

He’s probably making something very high like Arvlovski (250/250 wouldn’t shock me).

“Jon Jones is beatable, very beatable,” Smith told Morning Kombat. “He’s not that good. Not individually. If you take his individual skill sets and you take them away, each one of those things are not a problem. It’s when you put them together, and he puts it into the full package it’s the problem. His fight IQ is not crazy high. He’s well-coached and he does what he’s told, very, very well. And that’s a credit to him. I’m not saying it as a negative, I don’t think it’s a negative. He’s a dog for sure.

“But, if you take his boxing, if Jon and I were to just box, I don’t think he’s the G.O.A.T. Like I think we have a very competitive striking match. If we’re just doing no-gi jiu-jitsu, like I don’t think Jon Jones beats me in a jiu-jitsu match. Wrestling, he probably wins that. But it’s not the individual skill set that he has, it’s the way he puts it together.”

Ummm... Rountree DID finish Smith sir.
Roundtree did finish Smith.

It is another young hungry wolf versus past prime veteran match up like BSD vs Poirier.
It's always interesting to see if new fighter is physical enough to beat lack of experience.
Poirier used his crafty vet experience and was calm and coldblooded during wrestling exchanges (I think thanks to training with Gamrot) to defeat Benoit who was too eager to finish early and has some holes need to be patched.

I like this pre-prime vs past prime matches.
I meant to say finished quick. I saw a lot of people on social media saying it would be a quick win for khalil, and we saw how drawn out it was, and how little rountree attacked smiths legs

And the young hungry guy versus the crafty vet doesn’t work becuase smith hasn’t looked good in a while, and is definitely not crafty. He only beat Ryan spann becuase spann had a Brain fart

I meant to say finished quick. I saw a lot of people on social media saying it would be a quick win for khalil, and we saw how drawn out it was, and how little rountree attacked smiths legs

And the young hungry guy versus the crafty vet doesn’t work becuase smith hasn’t looked good in a while, and is definitely not crafty. He only beat Ryan spann becuase spann had a Brain fart

Khalil barely took damage in that fight though sir.

Khalil barely took damage in that fight though sir.
He should have finished smith faster than he did. He showed very poor fight iq even when smith pulled the “im giving up without tapping out” move that he always does

He should have finished smith faster than he did. He showed very poor fight iq even when smith pulled the “im giving up without tapping out” move that he always does

That's obviously an opinion though sir.

Back