Version 2 - Paris shooting at Charlie Hebdo and not everyone is Charlie.

I could understand the cover without the "All is forgiven" part as it would be an F-U to the extremist parasites to even draw Mohammed again, and then have Mohammed claiming to be with the millions of supporters would be the topper. However "All is forgiven" is a message from the survivors towards the murderers? I guess they believe that forgiveness is the ultimate show of strength or something...

But who am I to possibly think I can understand the mindset of the survivors who were likely there in that rampage and hid or ran for their lives while their friends were butchered.

Charlie Hebdo is a bunch of pigs with no honor whatsoever. They should not be harmed but the reality is that they aren't playing with westerners. Charlie Hebdo backed off remarks that were deemed anti-Jewish; so, it appears that free speech isn't nearly as sacred to them as Muhammad is to Muslims.

Portraying deities engaged in anal sex is childish and hardly the exercise of free speech by intellectuals. I don't think that they "deserved" physical attack but they are roughly in the same realm as the Westboro Baptist Church, only on the opposite side of the theism divide.

It is somewhat hard to understand, but I think they may be saying that Mohammed is now forgiven, and he has joined with the rest of the civilized world by saying he is Charlie as well.

In other words, Mohammed himself (shocked by the violence of the terrorists) has turned his back on the bad parts of Islam and joined with Charlie, and they are reconciled together.

It is somewhat hard to understand, but I think they may be saying that Mohammed is now forgiven, and he has joined with the rest of the civilized world by saying he is Charlie as well.

In other words, Mohammed himself (shocked by the violence of the terrorists) has turned his back on the bad parts of Islam and joined with Charlie, and they are reconciled together.

So that should be their last publication then? Or they go back to lampooning him/it next week? Or will they differentiate between Mohammed and the extremist version of Mohammed going forward or something?

So that should be their last publication then? Or they go back to lampooning him/it next week? Or will they differentiate between Mohammed and the extremist version of Mohammed going forward or something?

They are a satirical political magazine. Contrary to what many people seem to believe, they have many writers and different cartoonists, and they write on innumerable subjects from a secular leftist perspective. They will certainly keep doing so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Hebdo

The latest Mohammed is consistent with their previous depictions of Mohammed as basically being appalled by what his followers believe.

IMO they should troll even harder in the wake of the attacks. Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

Je suis Charlie (nor the viet cong type)

The losers of Charlie Hebdo don't have the intellect to challenge much of anything in a substantive manner. It's middle school geeks drawing cartoons of their opponents being sodomized. Real sophisticated stuff. Their killers don't adhere to the same type of free speech policy - embrace the diversity Charlie Hebdo - how's it working for you now?

Over 3 million people were marching to support the idea that people can draw cartoons and their society shouldn't adhere to Islamic blasphemy rules. The unity people showed for liberal values triumphed what the these guys stood for.

The losers of Charlie Hebdo don't have the intellect to challenge much of anything in a substantive manner. It's middle school geeks drawing cartoons of their opponents being sodomized. Real sophisticated stuff. Their killers don't adhere to the same type of free speech policy - embrace the diversity Charlie Hebdo - how's it working for you now?

I agree with you. While we should all support their right to draw stupid cartoons, there is no need to now start acting like they were the great free thinking artists of our time. Most of their cartoons is just deities or political figures having sex with animals.

I wonder if a neo-naz group drawing racist cartoons of blacks and Jews would get the same reception if they were attacked?

I agree with you. While we should all support their right to draw stupid cartoons, there is no need to now start acting like they were the great free thinking artists of our time. Most of their cartoons is just deities or political figures having sex with animals.

I wonder if a neo-naz group drawing racist cartoons of blacks and Jews would get the same reception if they were attacked?

Neo-nazi's hate races, being a certain race isnt a choice, being a certain religion is. Its not really the same thing.

At the end of the day no one deserves to get killed for drawing a cartoon. No matter how you slice it. Satire is not the same as wanting to suppress the rights of other people. The muslims in this case would be closer to neo-nazis than the cartoonists.

People deserve protection, religious artifacts don't. Those nazis cartoons are about suppressing people, making fun of Mohammad is not.

Divided loyalties. Not surprising really. I don't see why Muslims would be loyal to France above their loyalty to their faith and people.

Exactly, why would they? So many seem to expect them to just become French.

Neo-nazi's hate races, being a certain race isnt a choice, being a certain religion is. Its not really the same thing.

At the end of the day no one deserves to get killed for drawing a cartoon. No matter how you slice it. Satire is not the same as wanting to suppress the rights of other people. The muslims in this case would be closer to neo-nazis than the cartoonists.

Free speech = Free speech

And religion is not always as simple as "having a choice".

That's rather magnanimous of them. They pardon their enemy in exchange for a pledge of allegiance.

"It is incomprehensible that you can turn against freedom

It's amazing that so many people will equate the criticism of an IDEA (like Islam, but it could just as well be Christianity of the Republican Party for all it matters) with the criticism of a group of PEOPLE.

'Those cartoons were no different than the ones done by Neo-Nazis about the Jews/KKK about blacks/ect.'

How does such terrible reasoning survive?

Anyways, anyone have any favourite conspiracy theories so far? I've managed to deduce from a variety of sources who assure me they are in possession of the truth that this was actually planned by Marxist Leftists assisted by Right Wing military industrialists to ensure Europe keeps it's borders open for immigration to keep wages low to make munitions used in the next war that this is going to get us into, which will be the war that sees us all put under a police state ruled by one small group of people who have been planning this for centuries or greater. Probably the Jews.

Religion should be criticized. I've never understood the taboo on people getting criticized for their religious beliefs whereas every other belief is fair game.

Back